Lakeshore Christmas by Susan Wiggs

Lakeshore Christmas

by Susan Wiggs

Series: The Lakeshore Chronicles (6)

Ugh. What a total waste. I had picked this book to listen to on audio to put me in the Christmas mood while I worked on holiday presents, but instead it gave me no end of frustration. I couldn't stand Maureen. She did more to perpetuate the prim-librarian-who-has-no-life label herself than anyone else did for her. She instantly judged other people harshly, and then decided how they in turn would view her and went with her views even when actual facts went in another direction. Even finding out what was really "wrong" with her didn't garner her any sympathy in my book. She was annoyingly obtuse and went out of her way to keep others a good couple of feet away from her at all times and I have no idea why the other characters even kept trying to be close to her at all, let alone what on earth drew Eddie to her.

Eddie's character alone might have bumped my review up a star, but by the end of the book he was just as annoying as Maureen, so...no.

I love libraries. I can't even begin to calculate the number of happy hours I've spent in them throughout the years. The fact that we could walk to ours from our house was a big selling point when we bought it, actually. I have myself been involved in efforts to keep our local branch open in recent years so that my kids can have as many good memories there as I did. The way librarians were portrayed in this book was fairly insulting to the librarians I have known and do know, and the struggle to keep their local library open was, quite frankly, just not at all inspiring.

Daisy's character was just thrown in the novel for no apparent reason (okay, I've read book eight so I know WHY she was there. But I don't understand what she was doing in THIS book. Her connection with Maureen is so laughingly tenuous that she really can't even be considered a secondary character here. It's as if Wiggs took another story and just crudely smashed it into the one that she was originally writing and voila--there's Daisy!) and it was extremely distracting. Every time she was the focus I was drawn right out of the story--and I really wasn't all that connected to it in the first place, so it was particularly annoying. Plus, knowing that we'll hear all about the pertinent details later on in Daisy's book just make having to read them here completely unnecessary.

Which brings me to my final point--there was constant telling and retelling in this book. It honestly made the whole experience twice as long and painful. How many times do we need to hear that Eddie spent every childhood Christmas driving from venue to venue? That Maureen's always found magic in Christmas? That Eddie's always taken refuge in alcohol, just like his parents? That Maureen has a close and loving family? (Who, by the way, always knew that Maureen wanted a nickname, but never thought to give her one? What the heck? Why wouldn't they give her one, then, being so close and loving and all? And it's not like it takes a genius to come up with "Mo", it's pretty standard.) I could go on and on here...the book does!...but I really just need for it to all be over, so I can begin to try to forget. Ugh. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |
Corny Christmas book with a librarian as the main character. ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
Very good holiday book with a nice little romance.
  drewbydoo | Jan 1, 2012 |
And finally the book ended yesterday....i gave four stars for the story and i dont mean to rate the author. Somehow i feel that her way of telling the story is not to the point. She ends the chapter on a happy and a mild note that makes a reader forget the emotions or the surprises that were felt throughout the chapter. The book is great and the 'epilogue' will make all Christmas-spirit-non-believers think twice. Again, the epilogue begins with a bang, freezes you for a while, makes you think and ends JUST LIKE THAT... ( )
  kinisunny | Mar 8, 2011 |
Maureen Davenport is Avalon's town librarian. She is totally devoted to the library and her patrons, but she's just received word that the library will be closing unless funds can be raised to operate it. Although she is devastated by this news, she is also excited about the fact that she will be the director of the town's annual Chritmas pageant, a dream she's always held. The only rub is that her co-director is Eddie Haven, a former child movie star, who is perfiorming court ordered community service. Maureen and Eddie clash from the very beginning. she is too prim and proper for him and he is too untraditional for her. Soon, as they get to know each other better, they see the strengths that each one brings to the project. But both Maureen and Eddie have secrets that could nip their growing relationship in the bud. As they work together on the pageant and on raising money for the library, the spirit of the season surrounds them and after all, miracles do happen and angels walk among us.

This is the 6th offering in the Lakeshore Chronicles. Many characters from previous novels in the series appear in this one, so it feels just like coming home for readers who have been following the series. Since it's a holiday-themed entry, it doesn't "feel" like a full novel; it feels more like coming together to celebrate with the characters we know while waiting for the next installment in the series. ( )
  lrobe190 | Feb 3, 2011 |

Wiggs, Susanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bean, JoyceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the many librarians I know-including John, Kristin, Nancy, Charlotte, Wendy, Cindy, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Suzanne, Melanie, Shelley, Stephani, Deborah, Cathie-and to the many more I've never met... You have no idea how much you enrich people's lives. Or maybe you do. I hope you do. Thank you.
The boy came to the edge of town at twilight, at the close of a winter day.

Maureen Davenport lives for Christmas—and there's nothing more magical than Christmas on Willow Lake.
The prim librarian is finally getting her chance to direct Avalon's annual holiday pageant, and she's determined to make it truly spectacular. But it might just require one of those Christmas miracles she's always read about.

Because her codirector is recovering former child star Eddie Haven, a long-haired, tattooed lump of coal in Maureen's pageant stocking. Eddie can't stand Christmas, but a court order from a judge has landed him right in the middle of the merrymaking.

Maureen and Eddie spar over every detail of the pageant, from casting troubled kids to Eddie's original—and distinctly untraditional—music. Is he trying to sabotage the performance to spite her? Or is she trying too hard to fit the show into her storybook-perfect notion of Christmas?

And how is it possible that they're falling in love?

Maureen Davenport finally gets to direct Avalon's annual holiday pageant, and she's determined to make it truly spectacular. But former child star Eddie Haven is turning out to be a tattooed lump of coal in her stocking. Eddie can't stand Christmas, but a judge's court order has landed him right in the middle of the merrymaking. He and Maureen spar over every detail of the pagaeant, from casting troubled kids to Eddie's original--and distinctly untraditional--music.

Is he sabotaging the performance to spite her, or is she forcing the show into her storybook-perfect notion of Christmas? And is it possible that they're falling in love?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:36 -0400)

Prim librarian Maureen Davenport lives for Christmas--and there's nothing more magical than Christmas on Willow Lake. Finally getting her chance to direct Avalon's annual holiday pageant, she's determined to make it truly spectacular. But it might just require one of those Christmas miracles she's always read about if her co-director-- recovering former child star Eddie Haven--has his way. Is he trying to sabotage the performance to spite her? Or is she trying too hard to fit the show into her storybook-perfect notion of Christmas?… (more)

Susan Wiggs is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible