Can I Wear My Nose Ring to the Interview?: A…

Can I Wear My Nose Ring to the Interview?: A Crash Course in Finding,…

by Ellen Gordon Reeves

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Immediately, I was drawn to the title and knew this was a book that our college students would want to pick up. It was an interesting read that covered a number of relevant topics for young adults navigating a job search. While some of the information might go against what we would advise students (i.e. the answer to the title's question), the book still has valuable perspectives to share to the reader. ( )
  nnucareercenter | Sep 15, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I disagreed with the author's answer to the title question "Can I weare a nose ring to an interview?", I thought this was a good introduction to corporate America for those entering the workforce. ( )
  reesa00 | Jan 10, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Eh. Ok - good for new college graduates or 20 somethings. Not a lot of new ground, although it is useful in that it is geared to 21st century jobhunting. I don't think it has a lot to offer upperend late career jobsearchers.

The main point of the title metaphor is a good one - you shouldn't present yourself in the interview as something you aren't willing or able to be long term. It has appealling presentation (sidebars, graphics, anecdotes) but don't expect nuances - it's a basic approach in a compartively short book. A good entry level book in easily digested format. ( )
  romsfuulynn | Dec 18, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall, I feel this book offers sound advice for new job hunters and I agree with the majority of book. I actually followed the advice in this book on my last job interview and I was offered the job. I used the advice in the book to decide that the job was not right for me - and it was the right decision.

This author has done a great job making appearances and promoting the book - I have seen her on nearly every news station at one time or another! I hope she decides to write a book on how to be an outstanding HR person in the 21st century. I am so tired of HR people thinking that skills are not transferable and that you must have 15 years experience to operate a computer. I also love the black hole most applications go into - applications are are never acknowledged & rejection letters are a thing of the past! ( )
  tcrutch | Oct 23, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having read "What Color is Your Parachute" I feel that this is a more simplistic approach to the job search, but useful nonetheless. Having recently pierced my nose around the time that I requested this book and knowing that I would soon be looking for a job I found this to be a fortuitous chain of events to have received this book. The book takes you from the search to getting the job, and leaving it. Resume examples and cover letters are diagrammed and good and bad examples are given. The way it's formatted would be good for referring back to from time to time. This was written in a very direct way without being too dry. ( )
  whisperingfen | Sep 17, 2009 |

A witty, friendly, unexpected job hunter's bible that finally answers the real questions. Yes, if you're wedded to your nose ring, wear it to the interview. No, you shouldn't be e-mailing out hundreds of résumés. Writing with enormous authority and a compelling, lively voice, Ellen Reeves brings together her lifetime of experience of hiring, counseling, and résumé-doctoring into an essential guide for young job seekers.

Can I Wear My Nose Ring to the Interview? takes readers step-by-step through a process that was always tough, but is today especially challenging. Begin the search with a professional mind-set—get organized, and set yourself up with business cards, a respectable e-mail address, and a working cell phone. The importance of networking and the rule of three—try to make three e-mails or phone calls a day, but never more than that. The "elevator speech"—hone your pitch to the length of an elevator ride and be prepared to use it at the most unexpected times. The art of writing cringe-free cover letters and killer résumés—from timelines, hooks, and grammatical do's and don'ts to why you should never use the phrase "References available upon request," never include your GPA, and never, ever make a typo. How to dress for an interview, including why to put on your business clothes when interviewing at home, over the phone. Things to be honest about: citizenship and past salary range. And things not to say: "I want this job because I need health insurance."

Then once you're in, how to negotiate salary, what to expect in a review, and basic first job common sense: take initiative, be humble and helpful, never use your boss as a confidant, and always say "I'll find out" instead of "I don’t know." Now you're on your way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:52 -0400)

This guide is for anyone who's ready to get serious about the job search, in any econony. Start by approaching your search with a professional mind-set.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Can I Wear My Nose Ring to the Interview? by Ellen Gordon Reeves was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,651,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible