dismiss

Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading

by Lizzie Skurnick

Other authors: Meg. Cabot (Contributor), Anna Holmes (Contributor), Tayari Jones (Contributor), Laura Lippman (Foreword), Margo Rabb (Contributor)2 more, Jennifer Weiner (Contributor), Cecily von Ziegesar (Contributor)

From Beverly Cleary's novels to Judy Blume's whole oeuvre, "Shelf Discovery" looks at the importance and, for many adolescent girls, life-changing nature of young adult literature.

This was a different book than I thought it was. Not that this was a bad thing exactly, but it threw me a bit.

The different essays in the book are all interesting and go through the different young adult books in some depth. Overall, I really did like it, but it wasn't that memorable. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
The author and other notable guest writers revisit and analyze YA classics through their youthful memories and now-adult perspectives. I only read the essays about the books I remember reading and it is amusing to realize how much went completely over my head as a youth. Some of the essays didn't seem to have much of a point (what was she trying to say about "Then Again, Maybe I Won't"???) but in general YA lit lovers will be entertained by this YA review and its chatty tone. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
"Book reports" on titles, mostly from the 1960s-1980s, that played a seminal role for reader girls. Chapters divide the books into mysteries, paranormal, romances, etc. Witty writing and great insights into the books, even those that weren't really all that well done, but books the author argues were influential nonetheless. This book would probably be most enjoyable for those women who actually grew up reading the books described. There are classics in here, however, that are still being read today and anyone who loves good book discussions will like the thoughtful, funny and relevant examination the author lends to each title. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
A very fun book to read. It brought back great memories of many books I read as a child and a teen. There are many I many have to go back and read and many I will check out for the first time. Lizzie talks about these books with humor and insight. It is interesting to decide which book turned us into readers. I would have to say mine would be Dorrie and the Blue Witch. Skurnick divides the books into several categories such as heroines, girls gone wild, and she comes by it supernaturally. She talks about the themes and how they affected us as teen girls and also how they still stand today. A fun book for those of us who were passionate readers as children. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Nov 28, 2015 |
My friend Miriam's sister wrote this book! It was lots of fun! I love revisiting books I read when I was younger! My faves in this book are: Jacob Have I Loved, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and Summer of My German Soldier. Give it a read! :) ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
Overall, "Shelf Discovery" is a great little trip down memory lane -- a lane we once strolled wearing Hush Puppies and Dittos but now traipse in heels and Coach handbags because we read these inspiring books.

[R]eading [the book], one longs for more intellectual heft — Skurnick is certainly capable of it — and fewer of the cheery colloquialisms that were apparently needed to hold the fleeting attention of the average Web surfer. Many essays feel too slim and too eager to please rather than provoke. And as intimate as its tone is, this "reading memoir" lacks a broader sense of Skurnick herself.
added by Shortride | editTime, Mary Pols (Aug 3, 2009)

Guest essays from the likes of Jennifer Weiner (who writes about Blubber), Meg Cabot, and Cecily von Ziegesar add to this fast, fun trip down memory lane.

I'm sure Skurnick read plenty of books growing up, from Tolkien to Salinger; yet it’s great to look back and see this girl-centric canon, waiting to be reread by the grown women who loved them and a new generation of "monsters in training bras."
added by Shortride | editSalon, Joy Press (Jul 28, 2009)

Lizzie Skurnickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rabb, MargoContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weiner, JenniferContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ziegesar, Cecily vonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is a study of

For my mother, who told me I was a writer.
A few weeks ago, I found myself playing with the idea that someone had grown thin from carrying a grudge.

Remember that book you read at that time in your life when everything seemed to be going crazy--the one book that brought the world into focus and helped soothe your raging teenage angst? Fine Lines author Lizzie Skurnick offers a "reading memoir" that will take you back down memory lane and add a stack of books to your "to-re-read" pile. With contributions from Meg Cabot, Laura Lippman, Cecily von Ziegesar, Jennifer Weiner, Margo Rabb, Tayari Jones, and Anna Holmes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,121,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible