Shot of Tequila (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6.5)…

Shot of Tequila (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6.5) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by J. A. Konrath

Member:DTChantel
Title:Shot of Tequila (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6.5)
Authors:J. A. Konrath
Info:Publisher Unknown, Kindle Edition, 270 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2012-read

Shot of Tequila by J. A. Konrath (Author) (2009)

After listening to 2 hours of the audio, I quit, for at least one reason that no other review seems to mention. (Please add comment if I overlooked your review.) The writing is ok, but the characters are all stereotypical. Initially, I found the main villain Tequila interesting, but as time went on, the story became ever more preposterous. Both the publisher's summary and other reviewers say that this episode in the series about Detective Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is atypical, so I might give another a try. I don't mind horror if leavened by black humor. (See the movie "Get Out.")

I usually don't review books of which I've read less than half, but this book is misclassified as a mystery and is more like fantasy or science fiction. Tequila is like a super-villain, whose feats of speed and strength exceed all possible expectatio of a normal human being. As a result, the book takes on a kind of comic-book character. There is an audience for formulaic thrillers, but the only mystery here is not the search by the detective but (mild spoiler)who framed Tequila.. One distraction is that the author seems to love to brag about his knowledge of guns and other legal weapons. Another is his penchant toward "action, explicit violence, gore and stupid bad guys," as another reviewer (Wynn) put it.

Tequila is a bookie's collection agent and hit man. His outstanding redeeming quality are is that he loves and cares for his older sister, now 30 and suffering from the genetic disorder, Down syndrome. He also has a certain sense of justice, taking only what his boss is owed and no more, treating people with respect until they cross him. The reason I quit is this:
At a certain point, Tequila is trying to escape his cohorts through a heat shaft. He eventually succeeds in climbing out by using his shoulder holster, which has electromagnets that hold his two automatic pistols in their pockets. Since the heated steel walls burn his hands and feet, he uses these in each side of the shaft to pull himself up, by successively switching the magnet on and off.
Very clever and novel, except that such a strong electromagnet would require substantial power which, since it is not plugged in, would require a very big, heavy battery. Not even Elon Musk could solve this problem! This fact is neither mentioned nor explained when the author originally described their workings. Since their function was simply to keep the guns from falling out, I could imagine it barely possible, although I should have been forewarned when the author mentioned that it prevented someone else from taking the weapons from him.
  MidwestGeek | Dec 29, 2017 |
audiobook, crime-fiction, procedural, noir, mafia, mob, Chicago

Violent men breed more violence. Lots of murders and beatings all centered around a debt collector who is kindness personified to his sister with Downs Syndrome. You just keep reading even though you want to stop witnessing the madness. Good writing with a tough subject.
Luke Daniels is one of my favorite narrators. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Oct 24, 2017 |
A GUTSY ROBBERY, Several million bucks, stolen from the mob...
A PERFECT FRAME, All caught on video, with no chance of redemption...His name is Tequila. And he likes those odds.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 8, 2016 |
Another Jack Daniels book and another fast paced read.

What happens to a hitman when his boss gets robbed and he gets framed? Tequila goes on the run and stays there because everyone is chasing him. The thing is, he's not a good guy, and he probably deserves what's coming, but it just doesn't seem fair to die for someone else's crime.

If you liked the other Jack Daniels books, you'll love this one. If it's new to you, be warned Konrath doesn't write for the faint of heart.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes hard boiled crime with a sense of humor. ( )
  Perrywilson | Oct 17, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book, and am currently reading Whiskey Sour. Liked the way he wrote from Draculas, but wanted less gore!
  Steph2472 | Apr 4, 2013 |

Konrath, J. A.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I got a bottle of tequila baby, who needs friends?

-Concrete Blonde
Winter meant death in Chicago.

Several million bucks, stolen from the mob, all caught on video, with no chance of redemption. Now one man must face the entire Chicago Outfit, a group of hardened Mafia enforcers, a psychotic bookie, the most dangerous hitman on earth, and Detective Jacqueline Daniels. His name is Tequila. And he likes those odds.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,375,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible