Nocturnal: A Novel by Scott Sigler

Nocturnal: A Novel

by Scott Sigler

Good book. Very interesting story and not as gory as I expected.
Not sure why all the monsters looked the way they did, but that's just about the only quibble I have. ( )
  kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |
Monsters, secrets, and a decades-long cover-up. This books has them all, with a little bit of creepy and a good deal of squick thrown in. See, there's this cop who has some issues. Maybe a lot of issues. And he starts running into some weird murders - that he dreamt about. He spends about half the book worried that he's committing them in his sleep. Turns out he's not - it's this kid instead. This seriously weird kid who might not be entirely human. He might be king of the monsters. What monsters? The monster that live under San Francisco and want to kill us all horribly.

This book was interesting, but a little too gory for me. There are interesting crimes and a pretty good cover-up, but the ending was a little dark. Possibly that's the point though - that WE are the monsters and that horrible things happen. ( )
  Runewen | Aug 21, 2013 |
A gripping supernatural crime thriller.

It's been a while since a novel has grabbed me and had me turning pages all day long. I ended up devouring its 500+ pages in two days.

Bryan and Pookie are San Francisco homicide detectives. Pookie is the joker and Bryan is the terminator. Being the top detectives they felt sure they would be assigned to the strange murder of priest. They're not. Things get stranger. Then, even stranger.

The story unrolls quickly, with reveals and twists that will keep you turning pages. The writing is sharp and the chapters short. ( )
  dougcornelius | Jun 27, 2013 |
Read for Review
Overall Rating 4.00
Story Rating 4.25
Character Rating 3.75

First thought when finished: What a unique thrill ride and I am still processing parts of it!

What I Thought of the Case: Nocturnal was a wicked thrill ride that still has me shaking my head! I was never sure where Scott Sigler was headed and that kept me on my toes. One of the best things about thrillers is when you feel like your in the middle of the action and Scott manages to do that in a brilliant fashion. There were moments where I was jumping in my seat and not being able to turn the pages fast enough. The thing is that even though this has "supernatural" elements, it read exactly like a cop story should. The case was methodical, thrilling, and executed as the cops walked through all the evidence, suspects, and red tape. I think that was the most brilliant aspect of all!

What I Thought of the Characters: Bryan and Pookie are a good cop duo. Their interactions read very real while dealing with some very horrendous murders. I wasn't quite connected with them till the very end. That being said, they were good strong characters with solid stories. Their personalities played a major role in the case and worked well with the story overall!

Final Thought: I recommend Nocturnal and I will be hunting out more of Scott Sigler's books! ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |
I sort of thought this was a mystery novel with a paranormal mind reading detective twist, but really it's a thriller horror novel about subterranean murderous monsters that San Francisco detectives are hunting. I give the author for creativity with the monster science. Appealing protagonists, gripping story, way too much gore for my liking. Still, 4 stars. But not my cup of tea. ( )
  amanderson | Mar 31, 2013 |

Something lives deep beneath the streets of San Francsico. Something that has been there for centuries, something that comes out at night ... to feed on the dregs of society. A sub-culture, with its own myths, its own legends of leader named The King that will lead them out of bondage, and their own demon, a hunting shadow known only as Savior.
But the legends of Savior's brutality have faded, the fear passed into stories told to frighten the young ones. When The King finally appears, just as foretold, the Nocturnals know their time has time -- the time to come out from under the streets and hunt humanity in the open.

Experiencing vivid dreams about serial murders taking place in San Francisco, homicide detective Bryan Clauser fears he is losing his sanity and discovers a link between the victims and a young boy who is gripped by the same nightmares.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible