Moonlight Warrior by Janet Chapman

Moonlight Warrior (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Janet Chapman

Member:kferry
Title:Moonlight Warrior
Authors:Janet Chapman
Info:Pocket Star (2009), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***

Moonlight Warrior by Janet Chapman (2009)

I really didn't like this one that much. I liked the heroine, liked her family and friends, but I HATED the hero. He was like some holier than thou dipstick who acted like he knew better than the heroine and FORCED her to do things his way. I'm sorry, but if my mom had dementia (or Alzheimer's or w/e it was, it wasn't made clear) and she went on a walk down to the ocean and had been gone a long time I would want to make sure she was OK, but the hero acted like it was foolish of her to want to go check on her mother and forcibly stopped her from doing it. Than, later on in the story he acted all concerned about the mother "Oh I think she's getting worse" that kind of thing. I just wanted to grab him and shake him and tell Eve to move out and find someone else because almost ANYONE would be better. ( )
  LaCello | Sep 21, 2013 |
Modern American 20-something woman meets well-adapted to the present time, but 12th century 'soul warrior' wizard. The story is not outstanding, but well told. Story ends with mariage. A Romance first, and Fantasy only 2nd. ( )
  Steenf65 | Sep 1, 2013 |
Loved this book.....The humor was wonderful with a good balance too the story....the story made it self believable.....and it had a good message about spirituality ( )
  Fairydragonstar | Mar 30, 2013 |
Yes, I'm a sucker for Janet Chapman's time-traveling, magical, highlander heroes. Her brand new release is "Moonlight Warrior" and I enjoyed it very much despite a sometimes irritating heroine.

Kenzie has been a man for six months now. He's also accepted his mission to be a 'soul warrior', helping others who have time-traveled or are trapped in other forms by witchcraft. On his first day in his new town, he meets Eve and her mother Mabel, and he's powerfully attracted to Eve. He struggles to do what's right and tries to avoid acting on his attraction to Eve since his 'soul warrior' job will mean danger. But he's a highlander who was born in 1048 and he's used to taking what he wants...so he's pretty much toast--although smoking hot toast!

Eve is recently divorced from a weasel who left her for a nineteen-year old--and cleaned her out financially at the same time. So she's fled home to her mother Mabel, only to realize that Mabel's age-related, dementia-like illness is worsening quickly, and her parent's business is almost bankrupt. She certainly doesn't have time for a man...not even a delicious, rich, nice, mouth-watering, protective hunk like Kenzie. Riiiggghht!!

I laugh a lot when I read Janet Chapman's books. Her characters are such...characters! There's something very endearing (in print only, I'm sure) about such protective, outdated men and their earnest efforts to adapt to modern society and modern women. The fact that some of them have access to magic is just icing on my cupcake :)

The only drawback for me with this story was the irritating heroine. She spent so much time and energy fighting her attraction to Kenzie that I was about ready to jump into the book and bean her a good one! Then, she suddenly jumps him...and then goes right back to being stand-offish. She drove me nuts!

I also enjoyed the touching story of Mabel and her illness. Chapman explains in an afterword that she did model Mabel somewhat on her mother and her mother's slow decline. Although the stages of grief regarding an incurable illness were necessarily shortened due to the book's plot, I still found my breath hitching a few times and I think anyone who has suffered with a loved one in such a way would react likewise.

All in all, a VERY pleasant few hours read with a scrumptious hero I'd like to kidnap. ( )
1 vote jjmachshev | Apr 25, 2009 |
To Ella Lavoie Byram (1913-1995)
I used to look into your eyes and wonder where you were; now I realize you were taking shelter in the hearts of those who loved you. You're still in our hearts, Mama.
Kenzie Gregor politely smiled down at the tiny prattling woman, nodding occasionally.

Eve Anderson is darned tired of Kenzie Gregor meddling in her business. She might be struggling to keep herself and her ailing mother financially afloat, but she's no princess in need of a strong, capable knight in a black SUV to rescue her -- even if he is easy on the eyes. Besides, there's something very odd about him...and she's sure the strange events occurring in their small coastal Maine town are linked to his recent arrival.

Once an immortal warrior cursed to live as a panther, Kenzie is finally free to live and die as a man, and his destiny is to help other displaced souls. Of course, if he can get tiny, blue-eyed, curly blond Eve out of the deal, well...life doesn't get any better. But she's as stubborn and fierce as a lioness, and in order to win her love, he must tempt her with forbidden desires....

Eve Anderson, who harbors painful memories of a past betrayal, keeps her home on an island animal sanctuary off coastal Maine in exchange for helping its handsome and mysterious new owner, Scottish knight Kenzie Gregor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,768,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible