Nemesis by Agatha Christie

Nemesis (1971)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Miss Marple (11), Miss Marple: Chronological (22)

Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: The motive and method reminds me a little of another Miss Marple mystery, Sleeping Murder.

English (46)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (49)
While the mystery was certainly Agatha-worthy, I have figured it out before hand. This is one of the Dame’s later works, and Miss Marple’s “old pussy” behavior certainly seems from first-hand experience, just as the constant judgmental attitude about young people and their immoral ways, especially young girls who would go with anyone. There are views blaming girls for being raped or murdered, because they “liked boys too much”, that students are violent and rebellious (this was 1971), and that nowadays can’t tell a woman or man apart by their hair any more... clearly, what is the world coming to. In the good old days... ...Agatha did not sound like a whiny old crone, not even when writing as Miss Marple. The story is clever, but there is too much old-person fussiness, and not in a good way. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
At the behest of a recently-deceased millionaire acquaintance, Jane Marple joins a tour of Great Britain’s stately homes to track down a murderer – without knowing the identity of either killer or killed.

Christie’s other novels of the 1970s – [b:Elephants Can Remember|148584|Elephants Can Remember|Agatha Christie|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1209820558s/148584.jpg|895143] (the 'last' Poirot) and [b:Postern of Fate|102311|Postern of Fate (Tommy & Tuppence Chronology)|Agatha Christie|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1295679581s/102311.jpg|6564882] (the last Tommy & Tuppence) – are insults to the detective form. "Nemesis" – the last Marple novel written - is, at least, a notch above those two wastes of ink, but it doesn’t fare much better.

On the plus side: the spectre of Jason Rafiel, from [b:A Caribbean Mystery|31300|A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple #10)|Agatha Christie|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1298420026s/31300.jpg|937152], looms large over the story, which gives things a sense of purpose. The unusual structure – a coach tour around Great Britain – allows for a bit of a shake-up, utilising Christie’s trademark group of gathered unknowns from a new angle. The emotional circumstances of the crime are quite powerful, and Marple herself gets to do some of the investigating, which isn’t always the case in her canon. (The Joan Hickson adaptation is one of her best, making good use of the settings and characters, while the Geraldine McEwan adaptation – although well-cast – is barely recognisable.)

However, the writing style and the boring characters do nothing for this book, which exhibits all the traits of the end of Christie’s career: peculiar tangents, lazy dialogue writing, and a disappointing lack of logic to the red herrings. A bore for anyone who hasn’t read a lot of Christie, and I’d also imagine it’s quite boring if you haven’t read a fair swath of Marple.

Marple ranking: 13th out of 14. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Sleeping Murder was the last published Miss Marple novel but was written some 30 years earlier. That makes Nemesis the final Miss Marple novel that she wrote. And, it is a fine coda to the old sleuth.

After learning of the death of Mr. Rafiel, whom she had met during “A Caribbean Mystery,” Miss Marple receives a summons to a lawyer. Mr. Rafiel has left instructions, and a potential financial reward, for Jane to take on her role of Nemesis once again and find justice. The only problem is that Mr. Rafiel has left no information about the case – at all. She doesn’t know who needs justice, or was denied justice. She assumes it has to do with a murder, since it was a murder that brought her into Rafiel’s circle. So, a good portion of the opening has Miss Marple blindly searching for direction. It isn’t until she is contacted to take an all-expense paid tour, arranged by Rafiel, that the suspects are introduced, and the mystery begins to unfold.

The book is relatively long (compared to other Marple books), and I was initially afraid it would be a meandering, boring mess like “At Betram’s Hotel”. The first third was very slow, but it picked up significantly in the second half. I liked the mystery: a young man in prison for murder, the deaths of two young girls years ago, and a fellow passenger now. And, it made sense why Rafiel kept Jane in the dark – he wanted her to investigate without any preconceived ideas. The mystery was very good, but I enjoyed much more that Miss Marple was actively engaged throughout. There is no police inspector taking the lead; no frequent switching between character POVs. It’s all Jane – and that makes the story better than it would have been otherwise. Plus, Jane is quite old by now and the danger more acute when the killer begins to see her as a threat.

Overall, while not Christie’s best Miss Marple mystery, I loved that Nemesis focuses almost exclusively on Miss Marple and that it tied to a previous book. The resolution was well supported, if a trifle predictable, and the final showdown was more exciting than one would expect from an elderly sleuth. ( )
  jshillingford | Oct 12, 2018 |
And so we come to the end of the line, the last Miss Marple in my ordered re-read. I'm sorry to say goodbye to Jane, who as always is the smartest cookie in the tin, the brightest bulb in the chandelier, the sharpest knife in the drawer. She takes on a posthumous challenge from Mr. Rafiel, whom we met in A Caribbean Mystery, and solves a decade-old multiple murder mystery without dropping a stitch in her nonstop knitting of babies' jackets and fluffy pink shawls. What a woman. ( )
  rosalita | Mar 14, 2018 |
“Our code word, Miss Marple, is Nemesis.”

Miss Marple receives a letter from an old acquaintance of hers, Jason Rafiel. The only thing is, he’s dead. His death is not unexpected—he was not in good health when they met—but his reason for writing is. Describing her as having a flair for evil, he asks her to investigate a crime and restore justice. There’s a financial incentive in it for her, but it’s the mystery that provides the bigger motivation. What could a coach tour of famous homes and gardens possibly have to do with a miscarriage of justice?

I find the Miss Marple books so much more resonant personally now that I myself am older and have a grandmother who resembles Marple somewhat (although she doesn’t solve mysteries, at least not to my knowledge). It is reassuring to read about an elderly lady who lives at home still, with some home help, and sufficient physical and mental stimulation to get her through the days.

This particular case of Marple’s is not bad. I would probably have rated it 3.5, but I docked half a star for Professor Wanstead’s (among others) appalling remarks on “girls these days” who are thought to be falsely reporting rape after regretting a sexual experience. One interjection of this nature, I would have rolled my eyes at and not mentioned in this review, but it comes up multiple times and is totally overdone. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 24, 2018 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adams, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ayres, RosalindNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fonticoli, DianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickson, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thommessen, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Five Complete Miss Marple Novels: The Body in the Library, A Caribbean Mystery, The Mirror Crack'd, Nemesis, What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! by Agatha Christie

Nemesis [and] The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side by Agatha Christie

Neiti Marplen murhat by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple Omnibus (Volume 3) by Agatha Christie

Postmark: Murder: A Caribbean Mystery / Nemesis / Murder in Mesopotamia / Appointment With Death by Agatha Christie

A Fine and Private Place | The Case of the Postponed Murder | Nemesis by Detective Book Club

Has the adaptation

to daphne honeybone
In the afternoons it was the custom of Miss Jane Marple to unfold her second newspaper.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451200187, Paperback)

"How pleasant to meet Miss Marple again." -Literary Times Supplement

So pleasant in fact, she was the Anthony Award Winner for Best Series of the Century. Here she solves a crime that not only has no body, no weapon, and no suspects, but no evidence that a crime has even been committed. All Miss Marple has to go on is one single word: nemesis.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:27 -0400)

When Jane Marple receives an unusual letter from Jason Rafiel, a week after his death, she is led into a web of suspense

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible