A New Attitude (Hqn Romance) by Charlotte…

A New Attitude (Hqn Romance)

by Charlotte Hughes

I enjoyed this book! It was one of those where I "moved in" with the characters and enjoyed spending time in their world. There are no really bad guys, just folks all doing the best they can and having some crazy adventures. Very fun small-town Southern story.

As an aside, I was very excited to see the word "goozle" used in this book--okay so I'm a word nerd. (The undertaker says, "You know, hose down a body, stick 'em in the goozle, and drain the good stuff.") Goozle is a word my family has used for years but I had never heard anyone else use it and never seen it in print. It's a great word! (I did finally look it up in an unabridged dictionary and there it was! It can also be gozzle or guzzle. Means gullet or throat.) ( )
  glade1 | Jun 13, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373771584, Mass Market Paperback)

Marilee Abernathy's life is a mess. Everyone in Chickpea, South Carolina, knows about her husband's affair with the town floozy. But when her dignified farewell -- complete with pearls and impeccably applied Mary Kay cosmetics -- turns into a spectacularly unsuccessful attempt to hang herself from a fake ceiling beam, Marilee figures there has to be another way to cope.

Marilee needs a new attitude -- at least, that's what her neighbor Sam Brewer thinks. Between his demanding mother and his crazy ex-wife, though, the last thing he wants is another woman whose life is out of control. But Marilee's learning on her own that a little attitude can go a long way -- suddenly she's taking charge and taking chances she'd never imagined. And watching her blossom reminds Sam of some long-forgotten dreams of his own. Now he's just got to convince her to turn some of that attitude his way . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:30 -0400)

Marilee Abernathy decides that life has played one too many tricks on her. Even though Chickpea, South Carolina, is a small town, she was the last to know that her husband moved in with the local trollop, taking along their 15-year-old son. Shocked and devastated, Marilee settles on suicide, but even that doesn't work. In the middle of hanging herself from a beam in the ceiling, Marilee realizes that she wants to live and fight for her son, then the ladder falls. Her next-door neighbor, Sam Brewer, who was a Romeo back when she was in high school, rescues her from the debris, but now Marilee must rescue herself from her old life and find a new one. While trying to do this, she takes in a pregnant teen, finds a job, and starts divorce proceedings as Sam tries to convince her that he should be part of her new life.… (more)

Charlotte Hughes is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,237,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible