Black Water Rising by Attica Locke

Black Water Rising (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Attica Locke

5144419,733 (3.45)1 / 130
Member:sylviag
Title:Black Water Rising
Authors:Attica Locke
Info:Serpents Tail (2010), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***

Black Water Rising by Attica Locke (2009)

I listened to the recorded version of this novel and found the narrator lacking. He just didn't manage to hold my attention and I am not sure if it was his voice or the way he read. I also had some problems with the novel. This was Locke's first novel and it won an Edgar award for Best Debut. I wanted to like this novel because it is written by a woman of color and about a black lawyer in a Southern City - Houston, TX. It had lots of things going for it, but it just didn't quite deliver. The major problem was the main character. He just didn't capture or hold my sympathy. The plot was good, the setting was good, but Jay Porter made me so angry with his childish stubbornness that there were several times that I almost quit listening. I am not sure that sticking with the novel to the end was worth it. But I did. ( )
  benitastrnad | May 27, 2016 |
I couldn't finish this. For some reason, it just would not hold my attention. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
for the most part, i liked this book. i didn't find that it was as well-paced as the book's description offers, and it wasn't particularly a 'thriller' for me - more like puzzle work. i found that the story dragged a little bit and could have been tightened up. having said that, locke has created some interesting characters, and the time (1981) and setting (houston) are great - very vividly evoked. i do feel a couple of loose threads remained, though*.

i tend to really enjoy southern fiction (USA), so picked this one up when Locke's more recent book and 2nd in this series, Pleasantville, was longlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction. since the character of Jay Porter originates in Black Water Rising, i had to start at the beginning. :)

now, i will move on to Pleasantville, and see how the ensuing 15 years have treated Jay Porter.

(* - and knowing the description for Pleasantville, it doesn't feel like those loose threads will be tied together. so... bummer.) ( )
  Booktrovert | Mar 31, 2016 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this novel, particularly when I found out that it was the first book by this author. Set in Houston, in the mid-70s during the oil crisis, it does a great job of evoking the political environment that was impacting that city at the time. In some ways, it is reminiscent of the movie Chinatown on that front.

I think maybe the author took on too many major plot points--although she handled them very well, and I never had trouble following what was happening, she brought up the civil rights movement in the 1960s, a strike by the dockworkers, corporate oil company greed, the real estate boom, and I just found that there was alot to get my head around. With one less issue, I might have been able to care more about all the others.

With that said, however, I will definitely seek out other books by Attica Locke. This was a well-written, interesting, fun read. ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
A somewhat straightforward mystery novel with a keen slant on being black in America during the 80's ( )
  nikon | Jan 18, 2016 |
If we are blinded by darkness,
we are also blinded by light.
--- Annie Dillard
For my grandfather
The boat is smaller than he imagined.

On a dark night, out on the Houston bayou to celebrate his wife's birthday, Jay Porter hears a scream. Saving a distressed woman from drowning, he opens a Pandora's Box. Not the lawyer he set out to be, Jay long ago made peace with his radical youth, tucked away his darkest sins and resolved to make a fresh start. His impulsive act out on the bayou is heroic, but it puts Jay in danger, ensnaring him in a murder investigation that could cost him is practice, his family and even his life. Before he can untangle the mystery that stretches to the highest reaches of corporate power, he must confront the demons of his past. A provocative thriller with an exhilarating climax, "Black Water Rising" marks the arrival of an electrifying new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:07 -0400)

When African-American lawyer Jay Porter jumps into the bayou to save a drowning white woman in Houston, Texas, in 1981, he finds his practice and life in danger when he becomes embroiled in a murder investigation involving Houston's elite.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,879,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible