Poland by James A. MICHENER

Poland (1983)

by James A. MICHENER (Author)

Member:atelier
Title:Poland
Authors:James A. MICHENER (Author)
Info:New York: Random House, (1983, hardcover in dust jacket, 8vo, (xviii) 620 pages, maps on end papers
Tags:fiction

Poland by James A. Michener (1983)

Starting sometime in the 1200's, the novel follows the fortunes of the inhabitants of a small village in Poland (and the aristocrats who own it) through 1981. It touches a lot of Polish history. ( )
  Pferdina | Jun 29, 2014 |
I was hoping for a great deal of historical Poland and I got that with this book. The misfortunes of Poland are many, and JAM put them together pretty well. Very few countries have voted themselves out of existence, but Poland was one. I hope the contemporary USA would pay some attention to this! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 5, 2014 |
I give up - I can't do it. This book is dreadful. I love historical fiction, and all I wanted was some good fictional characters to hook me into a very general overview of Polish history. I have Polish heritage and I visited the country 3 years ago, so I have a strong interest in the subject matter. This book failed to deliver in so many ways.

These characters are barely even 2-dimensional; they speak nothing but stilted expositionese; they are not memorable or distinguishable from one another by anything even vaguely resembling personality; since I put it down a couple of weeks ago I struggle to name even one.

The style, such as it is, is confusing. Sometimes it behaves like a history book, sometimes it lectures you about politics or political philosophy, sometimes the 'characters' lecture each other, and at others it weirdly drops into theatre dialogue. It is clunky and so very hard to read.

The only thing I appreciated was the page or so of notes at the beginning that indicated which characters or events were fictional. ( )
  daisyq | Mar 31, 2013 |
First Michener I've read. Interesting setting and history, wide in scope. Covers a lot of ground. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
While I'd first read this probably 25 years ago, reading Robert Massie's recent biography of Catherine the Great made me decide to revisit the Michener book.
Frankly, POLAND isn't nearly as good as I remembered it being. Michener is a great storyteller, and he (and his librarian wife) certainly did their research to get the required historical, geographical, and cultural background. But some of the series of stories which comprise the book are schmaltzy and labored.
Maybe I shouldn't reread and Michener. But I will make an exception for his very early ADVENTURES IN PARADISE, the collection of stories that served as the framework of the musical SOUTH PACIFIC. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Nov 17, 2012 |
Christmas 1984
Love
to my son Eddie Ruiz Healy
Mom
Josephine Healy Ruiz

Like the heroic land that is its subject, James Michener's POLAND teems with vivid events and unforgettable characters. In the sweeping span of eight tumultuous centuries, three Polish families live out their destinies and the drama of a nation--in the grand tradition of a great James Michener saga.
"POLAND is a monumental effort, a magnificent guide to a better understanding of the country's tribulations."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449205878, Mass Market Paperback)

Like the heroic land that is its subject, James Michener's POLAND teems with vivid events and unforgettble characters. In the sweeping span of eight tumultuous centuries, three Polish families live out their destinies and the drama of a nation--in the grand tradition of a great James Michener saga.
CHICAGO TRIBUNE

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:12 -0400)

Poland's history from the thirteenth century to modern times overshadows a 1981 dispute between Janko Buk, the leader of a group of militant farmers, and Szymon Bukowski, the communist Minister of Agriculture.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,495,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible