Thrones, Dominations by Dorothy L. Sayers

Thrones, Dominations (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Member:pickwick
Title:Thrones, Dominations
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers
Info:New English Library Ltd (1998), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 384 pages

Thrones, Dominations by Jill Paton Walsh (1998)

Whatever happened to Lord Peter Wimsey after he was married? How did Harriet deal with the duchess? Where did they live?

Answers to these and more questions reside in Thrones, Dominations, first of the “new” Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane novels, based on notes left by the original author. The novel reads just like its predecessors. Lord Peter and Harriet Vane change only in that they’re growing together, as married couples will. Coping and changing are interesting, of course, bound by love and split by family and a changing world. So a dead body isn’t the only complication.

Society moves on, ideas change, and Harriet leads the way, very tidily. The dialog remains pitch-perfect, relationships just as expected and nicely humorous. The gap between rich and poor opens occasional doors. And a home in the country might be as dangerous as one in town.

A story of culture and relationships, told with well timed mystery; I’d love to read move.

Disclosure: I loved Dorothy Sayers’ books and wasn’t sure what to expect, but now I’m delighted. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Sep 20, 2018 |
This is the first of Walsh’s work on Sayer’s unfinished Lord Peter Wimsey novels. It was worth the read. Walsh mentions in the preface that she groups Lord Peter with Rochester, Benedict and Darcy as a man in literature that is attracted to a woman as smart as himself. I think I can detect a certain Walshian desire to find that man for herself. Regardless, she understand much of what make Lord Peter and Harriet tick and rights a good novel. She has more of an taste for sexual suggestiveness than Sayers.
  toddrains | Jan 28, 2018 |
Nice to see characters I love again, but I didn't like it as a mystery. ( )
  Lindoula | Sep 25, 2017 |
As a self-confessed Lord Peter Wimsey binge reader, I was hesitant to pick up Thrones, Dominations. You just never know what you will get with beloved authors' books being finished by someone else. Dorothy Sayers is incomparable, of course—but Jill Paton Walsh does a decent job finishing this tale. Peter and Harriet solve the mystery, naturally, but they also solve something in their own emotional development, maturing in their marriage along the way. This was the first Sayers novel that I know of that had a motive of sexual passion (tastefully handled). The mechanics of the mystery itself are serviceable, no more.

I tend to agree with most reviewers that this is generally enjoyable but not at Sayers' level. I don't see myself revisiting it like I do the true Sayers titles. ( )
1 vote atimco | Jul 22, 2017 |
A once-read, not up to par in many way, especially dialogue. Might pick up the other two out of curiosity if I see them cheap in a used book store; then again, may not. Went away and read the two later Sayers short stories, in which there is no hint of one surprising development. "Talboys" took the taste out of my mouth nicely. ( )
  gwernin | May 10, 2017 |

Paton Walsh, Jillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sayers, Dorothy L.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Carmichael, IanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FeBland,DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snider, SteveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thrones, and imperial powers, off-spring of heaven,
Ethereal virtues; or these Titles now
Must we renounce, and changing stile be call'd
Princes of hell?

Thrones, Dominations, Princedoms, Virtues, Powers...

John Milton
"I do not," said Monsieur Theophile Daumier, "understand the English."
It was evident that something of a portentous sort was coming to call - something that would never have called on Miss Harriet Vane, but was liable at any moment to descend without warning upon Lady Peter Wimsey. Her ladyship, repressing Miss Vane's natural inclination to crane her head out of the window, laid down author's pen and wondered whether she was suitably dressed to receive whatever fairy godmother should descend from this pumpkin equipage.
... he said. 'Besides, hasn't it occurred to you that to be beneficent, a vision does not have to be true?'....Detective stories keep alive a view of the world which ought to be true. Of course people read them for fun, for diversion, as they do crossword puzzles. But underneath they feed a hunger for justice, and heaven help us if ordinary people cease to feel that.'
'I once heard Peter say the first thing a principle does is to kill people,' said Harriet.
... sternly admonishing herself with the rule that the reader's interest in description is quickly exhausted...
... nice ebony inkstand with cut-glass inkwells and silver mounts, rather spoiled, I thought, by somewhat moth-eaten goose-quill pen, with all the feathering removed from one side. Foolishly wondered aloud why Peter had not bought a nice silver fountain pen in Garrard's while he was about it, but it seems the inkstand was bought just to set off the ancient quill pen, point of which is that it had belonged to Sheridan le Fanu. Felt somewhat out of depth.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312968302, Mass Market Paperback)

Asked by her new husband, the gentleman detective Lord Peter Wimsey, why she is having trouble writing her latest mystery novel, Harriet Vane explains, "When I needed the money, it justified itself. It was a job of work, and I did it as well as I could, and that was that. But now, you see, it has no necessity except itself. And, of course, it's hard; it's always been hard, and it's getting harder. So when I'm stuck I think, this isn't my livelihood, and it isn't great art, it's only detective stories. You read them and write them for fun." Is this a clue to the mystery of why Dorothy L. Sayers put aside her 13th full-length Lord Peter novel in 1938 and never finished it? She had made lots of money, and was much more interested in translating Dante and writing about religion. Or is it another excellent novelist, Jill Paton Walsh, speculating--in a perfect imitation of Sayers's voice--on what might have happened? Walsh was invited by the estate of Sayers's illegitimate son, Anthony Fleming, to finish Thrones, Dominations. She has done a splendid job, certain to please Sayers loyalists on the "dorothyl" listserv as well as those new to the Wimsey canon. Lord Peter has been made much more human and interesting by marriage; Harriet is a wise and acerbic companion; and the story, about the murders of two beautiful young women involved with a theatrical producer, is full of twists and connivance. There's also a fascinating subplot involving the soon-to-abdicate King Edward VII and a country on the brink of World War II. Earlier Wimseys in paperback include The Five Red Herrings, Gaudy Night, Murder Must Advertise, and Unnatural Death. Books in print by Walsh include a mystery called A Piece of Justice and a novel, The Serpentine Cave.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

Gentleman sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey and his bride Harriet Vane have settled into thier life together in 1930s London when an extra complication arises suddenly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,576,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible