Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Linger (2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls (2)

2,5331962,386 (3.91)109
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance

English (191)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (196)
I have started to find that it is very difficult for me to articulate in a review what I want to say when I am super emotional about the book. I don't know why it is getting worse, maybe I am reading better and better books. I will try my best though, here goes...

I love this book *deep breathe* because it is so beautifully written; the characters are so beautiful in themselves, and it made me tear up (THANK MAGGIE *evil eyes*). I can see each character's personality and emotions and I can feel them as I would feel my own. I love the unimaginable depth of the love and devotion that Sam and Grace share. There are also important teenage themes in this book, like parents not liking significant others, what it means to be in love, and how to not handle yourself when you are pissed at your parents. Although in this book I think Grace is in the right.

The plot line is great, it does start a bit slow but that is easy to overcome once you get reacquainted with the characters. It is really heartbreaking though and it is definitely a hook and I am already dying for the next book! GAH Maggie: write faster! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I love this series. I realized that I had picked this book up from my bookshelf, but I had already read it.

What I liked most about this book is how the relationship between Grace and Sam evolves. It was romantic, dreamy, and otherworldly when we were introduced to it in Shiver, but in Linger, you begin to see that it's a relationship like any other, susceptible to temptations, strain, and it becomes a relationship that the two have to work at. Not because their love has diminished in any way, but because that's reality.

I loved that.

Parts of this book had me at the edge of my seat. ( )
  Nazgullie | Sep 11, 2014 |
Another summer read that was a rather disappointing sequel, Linger came on the heels of the sensual and intriguing Shiver. No reader can say that Stiefvater is not a talented writer--her prose is often poetic with stunning--but this story is rather anticlimactic. We pick up with Sam and Grace after the fact, and follow them as they try to help others who have been struck by the spell that causes them to change. Shiver affects the reader in a visceral way--it hits hard and almost immediately the reader is caught up in the story, and can barely put the book down to work, sleep, or eat! Linger just doesn't have that same pull. Perhaps it would have been better had Stiefvater not succumbed to the demand to tell us what happened next. ( )
  alexann | Aug 20, 2014 |
I don't think it's quite as good as Shiver, but still pretty good. It was nice to see character growth from some of them. I'm expecting the third to wrap things up nicely. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
"Linger" By Maggie Stiefvater

*May contain spoilers from the first book*

In "Shiver" Grace and Sam found one another, in "Linger" they must decide if staying together is worth the fight.

Grace is caught between being with Sam and obeying her parents and Sam is battling with inner demons of his own. Throw in the new wolf, Cole and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Cole chose to be a wolf, running from memories that he can only quiet when he is in his wolf form. Unfortunately for him the warmer the weather gets the less peace and solitude he can obtain.

Isabel, although not entirely grieving for her brother still carries with her the guilt of what happened the night that he died.

Maggie pulled off yet another beautifully woven story of love, passion and heartbreak.
Intertwining all the characters, both new and old, she made me care for all of them equally and I found myself emotionally invested in all of their lives, whether it be past present or future.

Until next time,
Ginger ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Jul 27, 2014 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bittner, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cravens, PierceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tess, partially for the clever stuff, but mostly for the bits in between the clever stuff
This is the story of a boy who used to be a wolf and a girl who was becoming one.

The sequel to Shiver follows the story of Grace and the wolves of Mercy Falls.

Maggie says: "It's about after. What happens after you discover there are werewolves in the wood, after you've fallen in love for the first time, after you've lost what you think you can't live without, after you've become someone you can't live with."

As Grace hides the vast depth of her love for Sam from her parents and Sam struggles to release his werewolf past and claim a human future, a new wolf named Cole wins Isabel's heart but his own past threatens to destroy the whole pack.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,485,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible