Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Linger (2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls (2)

2,6192062,287 (3.9)109
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance

English (196)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (201)
I have started to find that it is very difficult for me to articulate in a review what I want to say when I am super emotional about the book. I don't know why it is getting worse, maybe I am reading better and better books. I will try my best though, here goes...

I love this book *deep breathe* because it is so beautifully written; the characters are so beautiful in themselves, and it made me tear up (THANK MAGGIE *evil eyes*). I can see each character's personality and emotions and I can feel them as I would feel my own. I love the unimaginable depth of the love and devotion that Sam and Grace share. There are also important teenage themes in this book, like parents not liking significant others, what it means to be in love, and how to not handle yourself when you are pissed at your parents. Although in this book I think Grace is in the right.

The plot line is great, it does start a bit slow but that is easy to overcome once you get reacquainted with the characters. It is really heartbreaking though and it is definitely a hook and I am already dying for the next book! GAH Maggie: write faster! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
10/10 is it just me - why am I having such a hard time getting through this book?

10/28 gave up - returned book to Library. maybe I'll give it a second chance another time. ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |

CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I really like this story. The world that Maggie created is really interesting and honestly feels like reading the Jacob story in Twilight but just about Wolves and I love that.
I loved the characters again. I'm still so in love with Grace and Sam. I HATE Grace's parents and I was so happy she ran away and moved out. I am not a fan of Isabel's still but I found Cole to be redeeming near the end. Honestly the characters are all just so broken and well written.
I'm a bit hesitant about the end, I liked it but im not sure how I feel about the events or what is going to happen because of it so book 3 should be interesting to be honest.

Book Challenge book #52: A Book You Started But Never Finished ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
When I read Shiver, I found a story that looked pretty good. It wasn't a favourite, but it was good. Good enough for me to buy the sequel.

However, Linger still didn't meet the expectations I had for this series. It took me a month to read this book, and that is very rare for me. When it comes to books I like, it usually takes three days - tops - for me to read it.

When I sat down to read Linger, I wasn't hooked. Nothing reached out, grabbed me, and pulled me in. I was actually bored. So, I put it aside to pick up when I was ready. When I did pick it back up, I made myself push through the boring stuff. It did get more interesting, but the climax wasn't until the very end.

Grace's transformation was probably the most interesting thing in the whole story. No, I don't mean her physical one, but her emotional one. She starts out as the good girl. The one who wouldn't break the rules or go against her parents. Then, she turns into a person who throws off the bowlines and sails away from the safe harbor. She sailed straight into rocky seas.

Sam...I like Sam. I always have, but not in the crazy fan girl way. I'd love to have the guy as a friend. I felt that he also changed a lot in this book, more than just becoming human and accepting it. He seemed much milder.

Cole wasn't a necessary addition to the plot, but intriguing none the less. Isabel...I've always liked her. Her bluntness and attitude add a spark of life to the story.

Besides having such a nice array of characters, I never was able to connect to one. I couldn't find that niche in the story that fit me, the reader. The part that made me feel like I was living it too, not just Grace, Sam, Cole, and Isabel. I think that's why I wasn't into the story as much.

Over all, it was a good story, but not the best. I love Stiefvater's writing style too. She includes such everyday things that anyone can relate to. It was the only thing that I related to the in the story, but I really liked that.
The end of the book was really nicely done, and it's the only thing that makes me want to read the last book. However, I think the ending that the reader is ultimately heading towards is one that we don't expect. ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bittner, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cravens, PierceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tess, partially for the clever stuff, but mostly for the bits in between the clever stuff
This is the story of a boy who used to be a wolf and a girl who was becoming one.

The sequel to Shiver follows the story of Grace and the wolves of Mercy Falls.

Maggie says: "It's about after. What happens after you discover there are werewolves in the wood, after you've fallen in love for the first time, after you've lost what you think you can't live without, after you've become someone you can't live with."

As Grace hides the vast depth of her love for Sam from her parents and Sam struggles to release his werewolf past and claim a human future, a new wolf named Cole wins Isabel's heart but his own past threatens to destroy the whole pack.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible