Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Audio) by…

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Audio) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Anne Rice

Member:DetailMuse
Title:Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Audio)
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read in 2008, Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, Historical Fiction, Christianity, Audiobook, Read by Josh Heine, @Library, 2008

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice (2005)

I read this as long time Anne Rice fan and gay agnostic dealing with the recent conversion of my parents to born-again christianity. It was a hard time for me. I read the bible, talked to many christians, and read this. I was hoping Anne Rice's perspective could help me reconcile my conflicted feelings about my parents conversion. It did.

I was afraid it would be preachy and flat, like my parents had become since finding the Baptist church. It was much more simply written than her other works, but instead it contained a warmth, peacefulness and sureness.. When I read the parts of the bible that tell directly of Jesus, this is the sort of man I see. The son of a man who loves ALL his children.
  RobinWebster | Nov 28, 2014 |
For Anne Rice to write this book took courage. She is well known for her horror novels, and anyone familiar with those (even through a film or hearsay) may have a potential "attitude" about this book. I sure did, but I was unprepared for a fairly good read. The premise of the book is interesting: Jesus telling his own story from that of a 7-year old child, but clearly as an adult telling the story from his childhood perspective. Jesus grows up as a protected child, both his parents wanting him to be as "normal" as possible, even though he takes and gives life within the same hour, heals people, and gives life to inanimate objects. It is plausible that Jesus may not have known he was the Christ from the moment of birth, but then again, who knows? I am not familiar with the history of this time period, so the story is interesting to me as a vehicle for learning about Jewish uprisings, massacres, politics, and religious history. Unfortunately, the book is not very well written, repetitive, almost juvenile in its audience, and asking the same questions over and over and over and.... Still I found it worthwhile reading. The most interesting character, for me, is Jesus' mother Mary who must not only carry the burden of knowing whom her son truly is, but also bears the stigma of pregnancy prior to marriage, and all that means in pre-AD Jewish society. Although she plays a somewhat minor character, it's an important one that supports the child's life experience in this age and culture. This is the first book in a series, according to the book credits. ( )
  brickhorse | Nov 3, 2014 |
Rice is one of the more prolific American writers. In this book's appending Author's Note she relates her own personal religious faith and return to the Roman Catholic Church. She has since renounced the faith after the abuse scandal. She is most noted for An Interview With a Vampire which she says is the quest to find meaning in the world without God. This book is a devotional book (for Rice herself), a historical fiction about Jesus that she says is historically informed by her own academic research. I wouldn't recommend this book as it would be confusing to most Catholics. This book takes a first person perspective of Jesus at age 7-8. Rice inserts some Gnostic elements in the book which she apparently thought were accurate accounts of Jesus written contemporaneously in his lifetime. They are not. The book shows Rice as being fascinated by typology which is a style of scriptural interpretation gone out of fashion today. Still helpful, just not very popular. For some unknown reason Jesus is portrayed as having superhuman powers which Rice equates with divinity. In Catholicism, divinity doesn't refer to potency to act outside the laws of nature but to share a nature consubstantial with the other two persons of the trinity. To go back to typology, Rice feels she has discovered something new. She highlights the exodus event as parallel with Jesus' returning to Nazareth from exile in Egypt as a 'type'. The type which she asserts does not work, although this seems to be the reason for the book title. There are others works to read on similar themes. Much longer but a more pious set of books would be The Poem of the Man-God, Two From Galilee, or Benedict XVI's The Infancy Narratives: Jesus of Nazareth. People who have never heard the Hebrew or Christian scriptures might feel inclined to read this and have their imaginations sparked but regular scripture readers probably won't. This is classified as fiction (a novel) and there is a second book which I haven't read yet called Christ The Lord: The Road to Cana. For me, the best part of the book was the Author's Note at the end which describes the genesis of the book and her intention.
  sacredheart25 | Sep 15, 2014 |
I'm familiar with the basic story so I guess I expected more. At first I was bothered by the first person narrative, but eventually it began to feel right. The reasons for the move back from Egypt, the cultural aspects, and the imagined interactions between Jesus and others (especially his father and brother) was interesting; however, for some reason it just read like "another story" to me. I didn't feel any kind of new awareness of Jesus as a person or of Jesus as a god. It's a good quick read but one that I would consider light.

This is my first book by this author as none of the other titles have ever had much appeal. I agree with the other reviewer who commented on the afterword. It's always interesting to know why authors write what they do. ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 16, 2013 |
Excellent! Story of Jesus as a 7 year old child, from the child's perspective.
  BarbaraGriffiths | Jul 9, 2013 |
It doesn't really matter about accuracy - a novelist should be free to play with the facts to get nearer to the truth. What's wrong is the lack of skill in imagining and then depicting a time, a place and a person. In Christ the Lord, Anne Rice has conscientiously taken all the drama, elegance and urgency of the Gospels and the Apocrypha, and flattened them into a tedious and mediocre potboiler. Which is a pity, because it's still a hell of a good idea for a novel.
added by MikeBriggs | editThe Guardian, Jenny Diski (Dec 3, 2005)

As for the plot, it's a year in the life of a rather plodding 7-year-old boy. As for suspense, he discovers that several mysterious events attended his birth, but we already know that, and so do all the other characters, who are made entirely of cardboard. Mary is innocent; Joseph steadfast; Mary's brother Cleopas laughs so continuously that he might as well be at a vaudeville show; and James, the savior's older brother, glowers throughout the book with big-time sibling rivalry.

Rice's Christ reads like a bland young-adult novel, written in language that's supposed to be unadorned and poignantly simple but is instead as flat and leeched of poetry as the Good News Bible.

The book's steady attention to such details slows its progress. It stops frequently for scenery, not all of it the kind that a young boy might notice. "It seemed that the women of this place used a loom with one pole to it," he says of Sepphoris, a town near Nazareth, "and one crosspiece at which they had to stand. But we had brought back from Alexandria bigger looms, with two sliding crosspieces, at which the woman could sit, and the women of the village all came to see this." This gives the book a hint of museum diorama.

When Israel went out of Egypt, the house of Jacob from a people of strange language;
Judah was his sanctuary, and Israel his dominion.
The sea saw it, and fled: Jordan was driven back.
The mountains skipped like rams, and the little hills like lambs.
What ailed thee, O thous sea, that thou fleddest? thou Jordan, that thou wast driven back?
Ye mountains, that ye skipped like rams; and ye little hills, like lambs?
Tremble, thou earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob;
Which turned the rock into a standing water, the flint into a fountain of waters.
-Psalms 114. King James Version
For Christopher
I was seven years old.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375412018, Hardcover)

Having completed the two cycles of legend to which she has devoted her career so far, Anne Rice gives us now her most ambitious and courageous book, a novel about the early years of CHRIST THE LORD, based on the Gospels and on the most respected New Testament scholarship.

The book’s power derives from the passion its author brings to the writing and the way in which she summons up the voice, the presence, the words of Jesus who tells the story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:53 -0400)

Presents a new novel by the author of Interview with the Vampire, incorporating the latest New Testament scholarship to chronicle the life of Jesus Christ, from his early years, through his ministry, through his final days, crucifixion, resurrection, and ascent to heaven. Having completed the two cycles of legend to which she has devoted her career so far, Anne Rice gives us now her most thoughtful and powerful book, a novel about the childhood of Christ the Lord based on the gospels and on the most respected New Testament scholarship. The book's power derives from the passion its author brings to the writing, and the way in which she summons up the voice, the presence, the words of the young Jesus who tells the story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,401,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible