Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Audio) by…

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Audio) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Anne Rice

Member:DetailMuse
Title:Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Audio)
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:
Collections:Read in 2008, Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, Historical Fiction, Christianity, Audiobook, Read by Josh Heine, @Library, 2008

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice (2005)

Rice is one of the more prolific American writers. In this book's appending Author's Note she relates her own personal religious faith and return to the Roman Catholic Church. She has since renounced the faith after the abuse scandal. She is most noted for An Interview With a Vampire which she says is the quest to find meaning in the world without God. This book is a devotional book (for Rice herself), a historical fiction about Jesus that she says is historically informed by her own academic research. I wouldn't recommend this book as it would be confusing to most Catholics. This book takes a first person perspective of Jesus at age 7-8. Rice inserts some Gnostic elements in the book which she apparently thought were accurate accounts of Jesus written contemporaneously in his lifetime. They are not. The book shows Rice as being fascinated by typology which is a style of scriptural interpretation gone out of fashion today. Still helpful, just not very popular. For some unknown reason Jesus is portrayed as having superhuman powers which Rice equates with divinity. In Catholicism, divinity doesn't refer to potency to act outside the laws of nature but to share a nature consubstantial with the other two persons of the trinity. To go back to typology, Rice feels she has discovered something new. She highlights the exodus event as parallel with Jesus' returning to Nazareth from exile in Egypt as a 'type'. The type which she asserts does not work, although this seems to be the reason for the book title. There are others works to read on similar themes. Much longer but a more pious set of books would be The Poem of the Man-God, Two From Galilee, or Benedict XVI's The Infancy Narratives: Jesus of Nazareth. People who have never heard the Hebrew or Christian scriptures might feel inclined to read this and have their imaginations sparked but regular scripture readers probably won't. This is classified as fiction (a novel) and there is a second book which I haven't read yet called Christ The Lord: The Road to Cana. For me, the best part of the book was the Author's Note at the end which describes the genesis of the book and her intention.
  sacredheart25 | Sep 15, 2014 |
I'm familiar with the basic story so I guess I expected more. At first I was bothered by the first person narrative, but eventually it began to feel right. The reasons for the move back from Egypt, the cultural aspects, and the imagined interactions between Jesus and others (especially his father and brother) was interesting; however, for some reason it just read like "another story" to me. I didn't feel any kind of new awareness of Jesus as a person or of Jesus as a god. It's a good quick read but one that I would consider light.

This is my first book by this author as none of the other titles have ever had much appeal. I agree with the other reviewer who commented on the afterword. It's always interesting to know why authors write what they do. ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 16, 2013 |
Excellent! Story of Jesus as a 7 year old child, from the child's perspective.
  BarbaraGriffiths | Jul 9, 2013 |
As a Christian and a huge fan of speculative fiction, I was eager to read this book. While I found certain sections of the book very touching and moving in seeing Christ's human side as a young boy and his divine side as the Son of God, mostly I found the book to be tedious and a bit pedantic. ( )
  Blooshirt | Dec 8, 2012 |
For me Anne Rice has always been a little hit and miss, and this novel is no exception. There was nothing I liked about this novel. The writing was sub-par, the material was bland and flowery. Granted she took on a different aspect of Christ's life, and I could tell she did her research, but the end result wasn't a compelling book. Anne Rice needs to go back to writing about vampires because if this is what her future writing is going to be like, I will be tuning out.
Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | May 21, 2012 |
It doesn't really matter about accuracy - a novelist should be free to play with the facts to get nearer to the truth. What's wrong is the lack of skill in imagining and then depicting a time, a place and a person. In Christ the Lord, Anne Rice has conscientiously taken all the drama, elegance and urgency of the Gospels and the Apocrypha, and flattened them into a tedious and mediocre potboiler. Which is a pity, because it's still a hell of a good idea for a novel.
added by MikeBriggs | editThe Guardian, Jenny Diski (Dec 3, 2005)

As for the plot, it's a year in the life of a rather plodding 7-year-old boy. As for suspense, he discovers that several mysterious events attended his birth, but we already know that, and so do all the other characters, who are made entirely of cardboard. Mary is innocent; Joseph steadfast; Mary's brother Cleopas laughs so continuously that he might as well be at a vaudeville show; and James, the savior's older brother, glowers throughout the book with big-time sibling rivalry.

Rice's Christ reads like a bland young-adult novel, written in language that's supposed to be unadorned and poignantly simple but is instead as flat and leeched of poetry as the Good News Bible.

The book's steady attention to such details slows its progress. It stops frequently for scenery, not all of it the kind that a young boy might notice. "It seemed that the women of this place used a loom with one pole to it," he says of Sepphoris, a town near Nazareth, "and one crosspiece at which they had to stand. But we had brought back from Alexandria bigger looms, with two sliding crosspieces, at which the woman could sit, and the women of the village all came to see this." This gives the book a hint of museum diorama.

When Israel went out of Egypt, the house of Jacob from a people of strange language;
Judah was his sanctuary, and Israel his dominion.
The sea saw it, and fled: Jordan was driven back.
The mountains skipped like rams, and the little hills like lambs.
What ailed thee, O thous sea, that thou fleddest? thou Jordan, that thou wast driven back?
Ye mountains, that ye skipped like rams; and ye little hills, like lambs?
Tremble, thou earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob;
Which turned the rock into a standing water, the flint into a fountain of waters.
-Psalms 114. King James Version
For Christopher
I was seven years old.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375412018, Hardcover)

Having completed the two cycles of legend to which she has devoted her career so far, Anne Rice gives us now her most ambitious and courageous book, a novel about the early years of CHRIST THE LORD, based on the Gospels and on the most respected New Testament scholarship.

The book’s power derives from the passion its author brings to the writing and the way in which she summons up the voice, the presence, the words of Jesus who tells the story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:53 -0400)

Presents a new novel by the author of Interview with the Vampire, incorporating the latest New Testament scholarship to chronicle the life of Jesus Christ, from his early years, through his ministry, through his final days, crucifixion, resurrection, and ascent to heaven. Having completed the two cycles of legend to which she has devoted her career so far, Anne Rice gives us now her most thoughtful and powerful book, a novel about the childhood of Christ the Lord based on the gospels and on the most respected New Testament scholarship. The book's power derives from the passion its author brings to the writing, and the way in which she summons up the voice, the presence, the words of the young Jesus who tells the story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,336,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible