A Change in Altitude: A Novel by Anita…

A Change in Altitude: A Novel

by Anita Shreve

English (56)  Swedish (1)  All languages (57)
I really liked the theme of this book Consequences of being unprepared for a strenuous mountain climb can have tragic consequences and how our thoughts and actions affect each other for good or bad. This is the first book I have read by this author, and I'm looking forward to reading more. ( )
  berthashaver | Dec 5, 2017 |
A story of newly weds who have just compromising with their likes and dislikes to keep up with the marriage. A series of bad things puts a crack on their relationship and later slowly they make it up.
Margaret, i felt her as a lady with stupid ego when her husband cared and with a slight tinge of inferiority as she was jobless. She tried her best to show that she was capable of doing dangerous but in a stupid way.
Patrick, a husband who didnt know how and where to give importance. The very beginning of the story he was so irritable and neglecting, i felt to pull my hair off my head. Later he grew better and caring towards his wife.
All the characters were OK.
I felt this story was written in a haste. Well it might be Anita shreve's style which i am new to.
A story with nothing in it... Just read it and keep aside and it will evaporate ... ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Atmospheric Kenya.

I listened to the unabridged audiobook of this book, read by Laurence Bouvard, and I enjoyed it more than I had expected, given that it was primarily a book about hiking.
Although I was irritated by how little training the characters had done before attempting to climb Mount Kenya, I was interested in the whole expat experience of living in Kenya, particularly the interactions of the lesser characters; the staff and other Kenyan personalities.

Margaret and Patrick have not been married long, when he has the opportunity to travel to Kenya to study tropical medicine and work as a doctor at the same time. They happen upon Arthur and Diana, who have a house to let on their property, and Margaret and Patrick move in. Their new landlords are keen to climb Mount Kenya and Patrick persuades Margaret that it would be a good idea. With no fitness preparation at all, it comes as no surprise that Margaret is soon struggling. Events escalate in a rather unbelievable manner, resulting in a tragic accident for a character that I wasn't sorry to lose.
The rest of the novel is Margaret and Patrick's attempt to come to terms with this event.

Having written this, I ask myself why I gave the book four stars, but it was the peripheral characters and events that I most enjoyed; the housemaid who is attacked and the houseboy who helps Margaret get her stories for a paper that she writes for. The photographers she works with and the events she covers were far more fascinating than the central narrative. The feel for life in part of Africa was well written, and this was the book's strength. For me, the climb was just a distraction. ( )
  DubaiReader | Apr 15, 2015 |
'Margaret could hardly believe she'd inadvertently done something that had helped another person -- though the credit had to go to Rafiq, who'd asked to do the story.'

That sentence may well sum up the female protagonist in this story. This is the third Anita Shreve novel I've read and I'm not sure why I keep coming back... Perhaps I've only just realised that there's a pattern here -- ineffectual female characters.

On the other hand, is it fair to criticise for that? After all, 'The Strong Female Character' is gradually turning into an irritating phrase, and people are complex. Not everyone worth writing about must be strong.

I suppose it comes down to personal preference, or rather, personal tolerance for such characters in fiction. If you've had a recent gutsful due to the state of women around the world, you might well be in the mood for a real escape, in which case you'll probably need someone more 'kickass' than Margaret.

Apart from all that, though, I didn't find this an interesting story. The ending was tacked on, and failed to have the cathartic, exhilarating feel that the author seemed to be aiming for. ( )
  LynleyS | Feb 8, 2014 |
An excellent book! Very well written. The characters were believable and the setting was beautifully described. A young couple is in Kenya where the husband is researching equatorial medicine and conducting clinics, while the wife looks for worthwhile and fulfilling employment. They are invited to climb Mt. Kenya with new friends, a trek for which they are ill prepared. Many life lessons learned, some at tragic cost, and a second trek is planned to bring closure to many questions and perplexities. ( )
  FancyHorse | May 26, 2013 |
Shreve displays a keen radar for the insidious hierarchies of power and the cross-cultural ubiquity of the alpha male.

For Ginger Barber
"We're climbing Mount Kenya. Not this Saturday, but the next."

When small actions lead to catastroiphic consequences, can the calculation of blame ever be truly finished? Newlyweds Margaret and Patrick arrive in Kenya for what the expect will be a yearlong adventure. Invited on a climbing expedition to Mount Kenyam, the young couple is caught up in horrific accident-a life is claimed. In the tragedy's wake, Margaret confronts the surprising repercussions of what happened on the mountain. She must struggle to maintain her balance as her sense of self, her marriage, and her understanding of the world are fundamentally shaken.

Newlyweds Margaret and Patrick join a climbing expedition to Mount Kenya, and during their harrowing ascent, a horrific accident occurs. In the aftermath of the tragedy, Margaret struggles to understand what happened on the African mountain and how these events have transformed her and her marriage, perhaps forever.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anita Shreve's book A Change in Altitude was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,537,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible