The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, Book…

The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Philip Pullman, Full Cast (Reader)

Member:francesanngray
Title:The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, Book 3)
Authors:Philip Pullman
Other authors:Full Cast (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (2001), Edition: UNABRIDGED Audio CD, Audio CD
Tags:fantasy

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (2000)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (Morteana)
    Cold Fire by Kate Elliott (Jen448)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Leishai)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: This book follows a similar trajectory to the HDM trilogy, starting out fairly light and bright and growing gradually more somber, mature, and troubled.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (308)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Croatian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (320)
In Amber Spyglass, the last installment of the His Dark Materials trilogy, Lyra, who started off as an ordinary kid in The Golden Compass, is seen as the most important child who has ever lived according to the church. Their fate depends on Lyra's journey into womanhood. She may be important but she is also seen as a threat as she is in the position of biblical Eve as the temptress of man's downfall. Heavy, right? Remarkably, young Lyra is on the cusp of introducing the concept of sin (Dust) to the world. She must be stopped before the Dust (sin=evil) takes over. When we first catch up with Lyra in The Amber Spyglass, she has been hidden away and kept drugged and sleeping in a cave by her mother (remember Mrs Coulter?). But. But! But, is Mrs Coulter all that evil? She acts the grieving mother as she recounts how she almost killed Lyra earlier.
This is an epic battle between good and evil with lots of fight scenes and dying declarations (just wait until you get to the land of the dead). The references to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden are laid on pretty thick, but Lyra is coming into her own as a young woman and she has an equally adulting young man as her companion...
The good news is that many of your favorite characters are back even if they died in an earlier installment. Iorek Byrnison the armored bear is back with his army! I was excited to see the bears and the witches but there are plenty of new creatures like harpies and ghosts. Probably my favorite characters to imagine are Gallivespians. They are small, slender spies able to ride hawks and dragonflies. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jan 21, 2019 |
There's a lot to like, but also a lot to not like in this finale to the His Dark Materials trilogy

I loved/really liked:
- The message
- The ideas around spirit animals/daemons, death, and multiple universes/worlds
- The descriptive writing style, generally

I really didn't like:
- The message being kind beat in, forceful told (but it's a children's book so this may be appropriate
- That whole sections or story arcs did not seem to serve a real purpose, the book/series would have been fine (probably better) without them
- Often an arc would reach a conclusion and then abruptly just end and move on; I guess this is life sometimes but it was kind of annoying
- Some arcs didn't really reach a satisfying conclusion (again, I guess this is life sometimes, but again kind of annoying)

Many of the dislikes are for the series as a whole but given this is the conclusion, I'm putting here

Overall, I liked it, but the unnecessary sections drew away a lot from the good parts of the story for me. ( )
  kparr | Dec 8, 2018 |
Honestly, I'd've given it 4 stars if the preachy tone has been even a TINY bit subtler. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
Book 3 His Dark Materials. With the use of the alethiometer and the subtle knife, Will and Lyra travel between different worlds, as the great battle of good versus evil begins and some tough decisions have to be made. An enjoyable trilogy with many layers, and of course reading complemented by the lovely Folio Society edition ( )
  TheWasp | Nov 21, 2018 |
Lyla and Will must travel to the land of the dead to try to find the secrets of Dust, and meanwhile friends everywhere try to keep them safe while enemies hunt them down. Brilliant! ( )
  AccyP | Nov 18, 2018 |
And as the bumpy journey among these dark materials comes to an end, there is the most moving of scenes: all fantasy subdued and only human frailty revealed in the real world of Oxford's Botanic Garden.

Pullman, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bruno, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pullman, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rohmann, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space,
His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Robert Grant, from Hymns Ancient and Modern.
O stars,
isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? Doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from pure constellations?

Ranier Maria Rilke, The Third Elegy.
    From The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke (transl. Stephen Michell)
Fine vapors escape from whatever is doing the living.
The night is cold and delicate and full of angels
Pounding down the living. The factories are all lit up,
The chime goes unheard.
We are together at last, though far apart.

John Ashbery, The Ecclesiast.
    From River and Mountains.
In a valley shaded with rhododendrons, close to the snow line, where a stream milky with melt-water splashed and where doves and linnets flew among the immense pines, lay a cave, half-hidden by the crag above and the stiff heavy leaves that clustered below.
I used to be a nun, you see. I thought physics could be done to the glory of God, till I saw there wasn't any God at all and that physics was more interesting anyway. The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all.
“But there’s my mother. I’ve got to go back and look after her. I just left her with Mrs Cooper, and it’s not fair on either of them.”

“But it’s not fair on you to have to do that.”

“No,” he said, “but that’s a different sort of not fair. That’s just like an earthquake or a rainstorm. It might not be fair, but no one’s to blame. But if I just leave my mother with an old lady who isn’t very well herself, then that’s a different kind of not fair. That would be wrong.

In the astonishing finale to the His Dark Materials trilogy, Lyra and Will are in unspeakable danger. With help from Iorek Byrnison the armored bear and two tiny Gallivespian spies, they must journey to a dank and gray-lit world where no living soul has ever gone. All the while, Dr. Mary Malone builds a magnificent Amber Spyglass. An assassin hunts her down, and Lord Asriel, with a troop of shining angels, fights his mighty rebellion, in a battle of strange allies—and shocking sacrifice.

As war rages and Dust drains from the sky, the fate of the living—and the dead—finally comes to depend on two children and the simple truth of one simple story.
Heroine suffers.
But in the end it's only
Midi-chlorians.
(Noisy)

Lyra and Will find themselves at the center of a battle between the forces of the Authority and those gathered by Lyra's father, Lord Asriel.

5 1993

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,374,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible