The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, Book…

The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2003)

by Philip Pullman

Series: His Dark Materials (3)

20,499351129 (4)171
Lyra and Will find themselves at the center of a battle between the forces of the Authority and those gathered by Lyra's father, Lord Asriel.
Member:tfoxwell
Title:The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, Book 3)
Authors:Philip Pullman
Info:Laurel Leaf (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (2000)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (Morteana)
    Cold Fire by Kate Elliott (Jen448)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Leishai)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: This book follows a similar trajectory to the HDM trilogy, starting out fairly light and bright and growing gradually more somber, mature, and troubled.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
Ghosts (97)

English (336)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Croatian (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (349)
Date approximate ( )
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
It’s kind of amazing how out there this trilogy gets. I wish I’d known back in the day when I first started reading it, because I might have made the effort to finish what I’d started instead of stopping after book one. These books were easily some of the best I’ve read in a good long while, and each book in the trilogy only improved on the one before it.

This one includes a harrowing trip into the afterlife for Lyra and Will and ends with some hard choices for both characters. There is an epic battle scene between humans, angels, witches and just about everything under the sun.

I’m hugely excited about the HBO adaptation, which will hopefully do it justice, even though they are condensing the books into two seasons instead of doing a book per season. Still, the bizarre visuals in the second and third books should more than make up for anything condensed for television. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I didn't enjoy this book at all, which is a shame as I enjoyed the rest of the trilogy.

It just wasnt for me. Well written but not my cup of tea. ( )
  JamieFUK | Dec 27, 2020 |
This story is more exciting than the Subtle Knife. However, at the end, I found myself wondering about some of the strings of the plot that really never resolved. Why have the bird creatures attacks change with the arrival of Father Garcia and then just have him killed with no other explanation about what he did to/for those creatures?

There was also no real explanation about why the Dust stopped flowing away other than it had something to do with Will and Lyra. Why did Lyra's father change his plans so radically? He seemed to have such a sudden change of heart (as did Mrs. Coulter) and I couldn't find a good reason for it in the plot.

I felt like the author had Will and Lyra separating forever as some sort of study in "true bravery for the good of all", but with all the technology, angels, witches, etc, I would rather his found some way for them to continue their own work together. I am just not clear why that had to happen.

Anyway, it was a good read. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
And as the bumpy journey among these dark materials comes to an end, there is the most moving of scenes: all fantasy subdued and only human frailty revealed in the real world of Oxford's Botanic Garden.

Pullman, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bruno, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rohmann, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tulinius, Gretesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space,
His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Robert Grant, from Hymns Ancient and Modern.
O stars,
isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? Doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from pure constellations?

Ranier Maria Rilke, The Third Elegy.
    From The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke (transl. Stephen Michell)
Fine vapors escape from whatever is doing the living.
The night is cold and delicate and full of angels
Pounding down the living. The factories are all lit up,
The chime goes unheard.
We are together at last, though far apart.

John Ashbery, The Ecclesiast.
    From River and Mountains.
In a valley shaded with rhododendrons, close to the snow line, where a stream milky with melt-water splashed and where doves and linnets flew among the immense pines, lay a cave, half-hidden by the crag above and the stiff heavy leaves that clustered below.
I used to be a nun, you see. I thought physics could be done to the glory of God, till I saw there wasn't any God at all and that physics was more interesting anyway. The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all.
“But there’s my mother. I’ve got to go back and look after her. I just left her with Mrs Cooper, and it’s not fair on either of them.”

“But it’s not fair on you to have to do that.”

“No,” he said, “but that’s a different sort of not fair. That’s just like an earthquake or a rainstorm. It might not be fair, but no one’s to blame. But if I just leave my mother with an old lady who isn’t very well herself, then that’s a different kind of not fair. That would be wrong.

In the astonishing finale to the His Dark Materials trilogy, Lyra and Will are in unspeakable danger. With help from Iorek Byrnison the armored bear and two tiny Gallivespian spies, they must journey to a dank and gray-lit world where no living soul has ever gone. All the while, Dr. Mary Malone builds a magnificent Amber Spyglass. An assassin hunts her down, and Lord Asriel, with a troop of shining angels, fights his mighty rebellion, in a battle of strange allies—and shocking sacrifice.

As war rages and Dust drains from the sky, the fate of the living—and the dead—finally comes to depend on two children and the simple truth of one simple story.
Heroine suffers.
But in the end it's only
Midi-chlorians.
(Noisy)

4 1905

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,589,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible