Affection : a memoir of love, sex and…

Affection : a memoir of love, sex and intimacy (edition 2010)

by Krissy Kneen

Member:PennyAnne
Title:Affection : a memoir of love, sex and intimacy
Authors:Krissy Kneen
Info:Text Publishing ; Melbourne, Australia
Tags:memoir, erotica

Affection by Krissy Kneen

A very interesting and beautifully written memoir. Krissy Kneen would be what I would call a sex addict - and one of her friends suggests the same to her at one point in her story. However, she does marry and has remained monogamous for more than 15 years. Ultimately I thought her story was sad although I don't think Krissy feels that about her life at all - to me her endless focus on sex and her constant viewing of almost everyone she meets as a possible sexual partner, combined with her years of 'production line' sexual experiences - I just felt sorry for her. While I don't doubt that her feelings and experiences are just another version of 'normal' I am glad that my own version doesn't manifest in the same ways. ( )
  PennyAnne | Dec 22, 2012 |
Kneen is a keen new(-ish) talent on the Australian literary scene and has pulled off a rare feat here.

Beneath the surface sexuality, Affection's triumph is that of an assured novelist of any genre. She sets a scene in curt but vivid detail and injects emotional vibrancy into even cursory encounters. At times "that sex stuff" seems almost incidental to the acutely observed character portraits of men and women who would be, or could be, her lovers. Shared post-coital cups of tea take on more significance than the fleetingly mentioned acts that precede them.
added by justjim | editThe Age, John Bailey (Aug 16, 2009)

Affection goes all the way…[the book] seems like an authentic expression of feminine salaciousness, rather than one a woman thinks may be enjoyed by a man…[Kneen] takes a wild pride in refusing to primp either herself or her story into stereotypical palatability.’
added by MustangAly | editAustralian Literary Review

‘In this beautifully written, painfully honest book, Kneen explores sexuality, the body and self-image, and the intersection between the three…Kneen’s stark, sensuous writing style and clear-eyed honesty are immensely appealing. And Affection is not just sensuous in relation to writing about the erotic; her childhood recollections are steeped in smells, colours and textures. This is an assured debut.’
added by MustangAly | editBig Issue

‘Affection’s triumph is that of an assured novelist of any genre. She sets a scene in curt but vivid detail and injects emotional vibrancy into even cursory encounters….From the outset, Kneen is acutely sexual; her journey, rather, is one of reconciling sex with something that is much harder to understand in a world where magazine covers scream their demands for the perfect orgasm, the perfect boyfriend, the perfect body. Learning to live with yourself, perhaps. Learning not to fall in love with your friends. Learning the meaning of affection. No arrogance required.’
added by MustangAly | editSunday Age

To Anthony - Husband, lover, friend
Richard tied me to a pole because I asked him to.

Krissy Kneen was raised by a very protective, quite eccentric family who avoided any mention of sexuality: perhaps it was no coincidence that she became obsessed by the very idea of sex. After leaving home she plunged into a world of voracious exploration, revelling in any variation of sex play she could find.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921520612, 1921656727

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible