Zwei bemerkenswerte Frauen: Roman by Tracy…

Zwei bemerkenswerte Frauen: Roman (original 2009; edition 2012)

by Tracy Chevalier, Anne Rademacher (Übersetzer)

Member:jgsn
Title:Zwei bemerkenswerte Frauen: Roman
Authors:Tracy Chevalier
Other authors:Anne Rademacher (Übersetzer)
Info:btb Verlag (2012), Taschenbuch, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Fiction
Rating:***
Tags:Roman, US

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier (Author) (2009)

19th century (92) 2009 (13) 2010 (29) 2011 (18) audiobook (19) British (15) dinosaurs (32) Dorset (14) Elizabeth Philpot (19) England (136) evolution (45) female friendship (16) fiction (238) fossils (171) friendship (58) geology (25) historical (54) historical fiction (229) history (22) Kindle (12) Lyme Regis (48) Mary Anning (60) natural history (21) novel (35) paleontology (87) read (21) read in 2010 (17) science (51) to-read (34) women (69)

English (148)  Spanish (5)  French (5)  Italian (2)  All languages (160)
Remarkable Creatures
Remarkable Creatures was a most wonderful read. The author, Tracy Chevalier is most known for having written The Girl With the Pearl Earring. And I have a confession to make. I never did read that book. But, I did watch the movie. However, after having read Remarkable Creatures, it will go on my to read list.

Remarkable Creatures is about two women from opposite sides of society. Mary Anning, a poor girl who had been struck by lightening when she was little which left her with the ability to find "curies". Curies are little fossilized sea creatures that wash up on the shores of the town she lives in Lyme.

The other character, Elizabeth Philpot, though not rich, is definitely middle class. But, Elizabeth is plain, or at least she has a sharp jawline that is not considered soft enough to attract a suitor. When her brother marries, his new wife and he decide that the house is not big enough for his new family in the making, so he sends Elizabeth and her two sisters to live in Lyme, setting them into a small house with an annual allowance that grants them a modest means of living.

Elizabeth also collects Curies and meets Mary when she ventures into Mary's fathers cabinet shop to see about ordering a cabinet for her collection. They strike up a friendship initially based on the shared interest they have in the little fossils. Over time, it progresses to a very deep sisterly relationship.

Its a very interesting story of a relationship between two women in an age where most people socialized only within their own social class. It is also full of interesting knowledge and names of early collectors and scientists of fossils at a time when care must be taken not to allude to the possibility that these creatures separate from the proscribed God's design.

Tracy Chevalier has created rich and layered characters that draw you in and immerse you in their world. She does not just told a story, she has woven it and will trap you in the web of it. Her voice is unique and lyrical. And she will find a place on my authors to follow the works of list.

One thing I was pleased to note after finishing the book is that it is also based on real people with a fictional tale woven about the characters. Both Mary and Elizabeth did exist and the were both fossil collectors whose finds can be found in museums in Britain and abroad.

Read more here:
http://www.tchevalier.com/remarkablecreatures/story/index.html ( )
  sephibitchwitch | Jul 6, 2014 |
'Fossils...had become a kind of life, a whole stone world that I were a part of', 5 May 2014

This review is from: Remarkable Creatures (Paperback)
Fictionalized account of true-life fossil hunter Mary Anning, a working-class girl who discovered the first icthyosaur - and much more - on the beaches of Lyme Regis in the early 19th century.
In chapters narrated alternately by herself and by Elizabeth Philpot, a middle-aged spinster who shares her interest, we see how difficult it was for women to gain any credence in the world of science; for the new discoveries of prehistoric creatures to be accepted in an age of fundamental Christianity; and for the naive fossil hunter to avoid being swindled out of her discoveries by unscrupulous dealers. And the lonely life for women doomed forever to remain spinsters.
This was a fairly interesting read; light and unchallenging, it taught me a lot about Mary Anning's life, but failed to really engage me. ( )
  starbox | May 4, 2014 |
I know a lot of people couldn't get past the "dryness" of this book. But I'm glad I finished it and blessed it with a little introspection. It is a good snapshot of the era and is very obviously a feminist novel. The characters were sometimes stark and sometimes vague but I felt that they all rang true. It was a realistic, if not always titillating, view of just how hard women could or could not "fight for their rights" at the time. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
I think I need to read a non-fiction account.. ( )
  dylkit | Feb 3, 2014 |
I have read this book group but it was already on my TBR, so this was no hardship. It took me slightly longer to get into this story than my previous read by Tracy Chevalier - The Girl with the Pearl Earring. However, it grew on me from about the half way mark when it got interesting. Although I have been to Lyme Regis, I didn't know much about Mary Anning.

This is typical historical fiction, but what I like is that we are not focussing on Britain's monarchs over the past years but one of our greatest and possibly our first palaeontologist. Although not trained in that field, she is perhaps more correctly, as written in the book a fossilist. Mary was trained by her father to search for fossils and this was the way, after Richard Anning's death, the family came to earn their living by selling on their finds to some of the great collectors and scientists. Upon meeting Elizabeth Philpott, Mary learns more about her finds. Elizabeth does not have Mary's natural ability to search and dig out these specimens but she can read and write and is learned to some extent in this field. Although, the relationship between the two very different people at the centre of the story was interesting, for me, the book really developed when the collectors were introduced and how they impacted on the relationship between Mary and Miss Philpott. Particularly Colonel Birch for whom they both harboured different feelings.

As usual a well written story with plenty of detail and description in location and setting. Likeable and believable characterisations weaving fiction alongside the factual information. I liked the nod to Jane Austen as having possible visited the Assembly Rooms and as the author mentions in her postscript Miss Austen was a visitor to the area so this was quite likely. ( )
  booketta | Feb 3, 2014 |
Unless you have a deep and unabiding passion for fossils, you'll want to leave this specimen alone.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Donna Freydkin (Feb 2, 2010)

Giant marine reptiles are not the only remarkable creatures in this book. Chevalier turns a warming spotlight on a friendship cemented by shared obsession and mutual respect across profound class fissures; a friendship between two women who were indirectly responsible for several male careers and ultimately (partially, very indirectly) for Darwin's insights. She also gives it what Darwin himself considered mandatory in a novel, a happy ending - or happy enough.

Chevalier, TracyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lyons, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morahan, HattieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parry, CharlotteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for my son, Jacob
Lightning has struck me all my life.
'but dying was no drama. Dying was cold and hard and painful, and dull. It went on too long. I was exhausted and growing bored with it.'

From the moment she is struck by lightening as a baby, it is clear that Mary Anning is different. Though poor and uneducated, she discovers on the windswept beaches of the English coast that she has a unique gift: "the eye" to spot fossils that no one else can see. When Mary uncovers an unusual fossilized skeleton in the cliffs near her home, she sets the religious fathers on edge, the townspeople to gossip--and the scientific world alight. In an arena dominated by men, however, Mary is barred from the academic community; as a young woman with uncommon interests, she is suspected of sinful behavior. Nature is a threat, throwing bitter cold, storms, and landslips at her. And when she falls in love, it is with an impossible man.

Mary finds an unlikely champion in prickly Elizabeth Philpot, a middle-class spinster recently exiled from London, who shares her passion for scouring the beaches. Their relationship strikes a delicate balance between fierce loyalty, mutual appreciation, and barely suppressed envy. Ultimately, in the struggle to be recognized in the wider world, Mary and Elizabeth discover that friendship is their greatest ally.

Remarkable Creatures is a novel of how one woman's gift transcends class and social prejudice to lead to some of the most important discoveries of the nineteenth century. Above all, it is a revealing portrait of the intricate and resilient nature of female friendship. [adapted from the jacket]

When Mary Anning uncovers an unusual fossilized skeleton in the cliffs near her home on the English coast, she sets the religious fathers on edge, the townspeople to vicious gossip, and the scientific world alight. Luckily, Mary finds an unlikely champion in prickly Elizabeth Philpot, and in the struggle to be recognized in the wider world, Mary and Elizabeth discover that friendship is their greatest ally.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,461,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible