Zwei bemerkenswerte Frauen: Roman by Tracy…

Zwei bemerkenswerte Frauen: Roman (original 2009; edition 2012)

by Tracy Chevalier, Anne Rademacher (Übersetzer)

2,3221902,716 (3.89)359
Member:jgsn
Title:Zwei bemerkenswerte Frauen: Roman
Authors:Tracy Chevalier
Other authors:Anne Rademacher (Übersetzer)
Info:btb Verlag (2012), Taschenbuch, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Fiction
Rating:***
Tags:Roman, US

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier (2009)

English (180)  Spanish (5)  French (5)  Italian (2)  All (192)
As a young girl, I collected fossils and loved the science of paleontology, so this novel resonated deeply with me. Chevalier's portrayal of the prejudice against women in this (and many scientific endeavours) was spot on. Her characterization was excellent. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 24, 2017 |
In the early 19th century, Mary Anning and Elizabeth Philpot scour the cliffs and beaches of Lyme Regis for fossils. Both women make discoveries that change the world.

This tale is about two women who I knew nothing about. Tracy Chevalier does do an excellent job of bringing the era to life. Her descriptions always give a good sense of time and place. Told alternatively by Elizabeth and Mary the story tells of both their fortunes and misfortunes. The narrative of Mary was my favourite out of the two.

I have read books by TC before and I either love them ( Virgin Blue, Falling Angels, Burning Bright,Lady and the Unicorn) or I don't enjoy them so much ( At the End of the Orchard, Girl with the Pearl Earring). This book falls into the not so much. Although I loved the descriptions and found the two women fascinating I felt the book was boring. Not at first, I was enjoying it but I did become very bored.

I will seek out further work by Tracy Chevalier but this offering is not one of my favourites. ( )
  tina1969 | Apr 26, 2017 |
A quick, easy, interesting fictionalisation of two remarkable women. To see my review, please visit https://anzlitlovers.com/2010/12/04/remarkable-creatures-by-tracy-chevalier/ ( )
  anzlitlovers | Apr 20, 2017 |
A enjoyable read for me as I live in the area where the story is set. Although it is fiction the story is based around real life historical characters most notably Mary Anning a 19th century fossil hunter. Perfect for a summers day in the sunshine or a Lyme Regis beach read - and I learned a little bit about my local history and fossils too. ( )
  MarianneHusbands | Feb 6, 2017 |
This is the fictionalized story of two women fossil collector on the southern coast of England, their personal relationship and their connection to the science of the time. ( )
  gbelik | Jan 24, 2017 |
Unless you have a deep and unabiding passion for fossils, you'll want to leave this specimen alone.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Donna Freydkin (Feb 2, 2010)

Giant marine reptiles are not the only remarkable creatures in this book. Chevalier turns a warming spotlight on a friendship cemented by shared obsession and mutual respect across profound class fissures; a friendship between two women who were indirectly responsible for several male careers and ultimately (partially, very indirectly) for Darwin's insights. She also gives it what Darwin himself considered mandatory in a novel, a happy ending - or happy enough.

Chevalier, Tracyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lyons, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morahan, HattieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parry, CharlotteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for my son, Jacob
Lightning has struck me all my life.
'but dying was no drama. Dying was cold and hard and painful, and dull. It went on too long. I was exhausted and growing bored with it.'

From the moment she is struck by lightening as a baby, it is clear that Mary Anning is different. Though poor and uneducated, she discovers on the windswept beaches of the English coast that she has a unique gift: "the eye" to spot fossils that no one else can see. When Mary uncovers an unusual fossilized skeleton in the cliffs near her home, she sets the religious fathers on edge, the townspeople to gossip--and the scientific world alight. In an arena dominated by men, however, Mary is barred from the academic community; as a young woman with uncommon interests, she is suspected of sinful behavior. Nature is a threat, throwing bitter cold, storms, and landslips at her. And when she falls in love, it is with an impossible man.

Mary finds an unlikely champion in prickly Elizabeth Philpot, a middle-class spinster recently exiled from London, who shares her passion for scouring the beaches. Their relationship strikes a delicate balance between fierce loyalty, mutual appreciation, and barely suppressed envy. Ultimately, in the struggle to be recognized in the wider world, Mary and Elizabeth discover that friendship is their greatest ally.

Remarkable Creatures is a novel of how one woman's gift transcends class and social prejudice to lead to some of the most important discoveries of the nineteenth century. Above all, it is a revealing portrait of the intricate and resilient nature of female friendship. [adapted from the jacket]

Marked for greatness after being struck by lightning in infancy, Mary Anning discovers a fossilized skeleton near her 19th century home that triggers attacks on her character and upheavals throughout the religious, scientific, and academic communities.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tracy Chevalier's book Remarkable Creatures was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible