Der Kruzifix-Killer by Chris Carter

Der Kruzifix-Killer (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Chris Carter

Member:aliena0811
Title:Der Kruzifix-Killer
Authors:Chris Carter
Info:Ullstein Taschenbuchvlg. (2009), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:2012

The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter (2009)

English (14)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  English (17)
Detective Robert Hunter and his new rookie partner, Carlos Garcia, are on the trail of a vicious and sadistic killer after finding the body of a young woman tied to wooden posts, naked and with the skin removed from her face. Her neck has a familiar carving, that of a double cross symbol which was the signature of a serial killer known as the Crucifix Killer. However, two years earlier the Crucifix Killer was apprehended and killed after committing seven other murders. Since the double cross was never made public, Hunter, who never believed they had captured the true killer, believes the new murders were made by the original killer and not a copycat.

The opening chapter is absolutely riveting and made me eager to find out how it could have happened. The characters were very well written and believable for the most part. I enjoyed Hunter's backstory and his relationship with his new partner. This was an outstanding thriller, especially given that it was the author's debut novel. It's not for the squeamish but if you enjoy the more gritty suspense novels, this is definitely one of the best I've read all year. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Nov 8, 2016 |
This was an excellent start to a new series. There was a strong psychological element to this book and to profiling a serial killer in general. Whilst the killings were very gritty this wasn't forefront to the book, so did not spoil any enjoyment of the book. I found the lead character very interesting. Whilst part of the story I had worked out there were a few twists and surprises along the way. This was an excellent book and I can't wait to continue with the series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Nov 6, 2016 |
[The Crucifix Killer] by Chris Carter
Robert Hunter series Book #1
5★'s

From The Book:
When the body of a young woman is discovered in a derelict cottage in the middle of Los Angeles National Forest, Homicide Detective Robert Hunter finds himself entering a horrific and recurring nightmare. Naked, strung from two parallel wooden posts, the victim was sadistically tortured before meeting an excruciatingly painful death. All the skin has been ripped from her face - while she was still alive. On the nape of her neck has been carved a strange double-cross: the signature of a psychopath known as the Crucifix Killer. But that's impossible. Because two years ago, the Crucifix Killer was caught and executed. Could this therefore be a copycat killer? Or could the unthinkable be true? Is the real killer still out there, ready to embark once again on a vicious and violent killing spree, selecting his victims seemingly at random, taunting Robert Hunter with his inability to catch him? Hunter and his rookie partner are about to enter a nightmare beyond imagining.

My Thoughts:
I read out of order so I have read other Chris Carter books before this one that we read as a group read. I knew what an incredible writer Chris Carter was and what fascinating, believable, liable characters he has created in this series that just keeps getting better and better...so I was expecting nothing less than a stellar performance with the [The Crucifix Killer] and Carter delivered 100%.

One of the reasons that this author writes with such knowledge about serial killers is that he is somewhat of an expert on the subject. In reading his bio I discovered that Carter studied psychology and criminal behavior and went on to be a part of the Michigan State District Attorney's Criminal Psychology Team. Because of that he spent a lot of time interviewing and studying a lot of criminals, some of whom were serial killers. This he has very successfully transferred into his ultra-ego , Robert Hunter and why his books portray such real-life horror.

They're not for everyone. They tend to be very dark but then they are dealing with a very dark subject. ( )
  Carol420 | Nov 1, 2016 |
Detective Hunter was just assigned a new partner, which is good because an old case has started up again. They thought they had the killer, so how is it possible the Crucifix Killer is back at it? This is a tight, suspenseful thriller that will keep you guessing throughout. Great characters, tons of twists and turns and edge of your seat suspense make this an excellent first in the series. ( )
  Jen_Bartels | Nov 1, 2016 |
Book Description
When the body of a young woman is discovered in a derelict cottage in the middle of Los Angeles National Forest, Homicide Detective Robert Hunter finds himself entering a horrific and recurring nightmare. Naked, strung from two wooden posts, the victim was sadistically tortured before meeting an excruciatingly painful death. All the skin has been ripped from her face - while she was still alive. On the nape of her neck has been carved a strange double-cross: the signature of a psychopath known as the Crucifix Killer. But that's impossible. Because two years ago, the Crucifix Killer was caught and executed. Could this therefore be a copycat killer? Or could the unthinkable be true? Is the real killer still out there, ready to embark once again on a vicious and violent killing spree, selecting his victims seemingly at random, taunting Robert Hunter with his inability to catch him? Hunter and his rookie partner are about to enter a nightmare beyond imagining.

My Review
If you like gritty thrillers, then you will like The Crucifix Killer. This series is not for the weak of heart, but if you can get through grit and not let it bother you, you will find that this is an excellent read. Garcia is a rookie but Hunter takes him under his wing and their relationship ends up pretty solid. The story was so interesting that the pages kept turning and twists and turns never stopped. The ending had a few surprises which I didn't see coming and I now look forward to reading book 2 very soon. I would highly recommend this series to those who like Karin Slaughter type mystery thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 31, 2016 |

A terrifying serial thriller guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat. It combines taut plotting with nail-biting suspense of Kathy Reichs and a psychopath even more terrifying than Hannibal Lecter. Not for the faint-hearted, this page-turner introduces a brilliant new writer on the scene.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,720,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible