Der Kruzifix-Killer by Chris Carter

Der Kruzifix-Killer (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Chris Carter

2401048,049 (4)2
Member:aliena0811
Title:Der Kruzifix-Killer
Authors:Chris Carter
Info:Ullstein Taschenbuchvlg. (2009), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:2012

The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter (2009)

Recently added byarena555, Kayla.Krantz, ziggiole, vossen

English (7)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (10)
Very easy to read police procedural set in LA , possibly a bit heavy on the gruesome detail. Well constructed plot and unfussy narrative style with a nice extra twist at the end. I would not put the author high on my list to follow up but would not deliberately avoid. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
One of only two books that 'Ive lost a whole night's sleep over asI've just been unable to put the book down till I found out the ending. ( )
  RuthieD | Dec 12, 2014 |
The Crucifix Killer is Chris Carter's debut novel. And I can honostly say that he wrote a crime novel just the way I like them, dark, gritty and with the emphasis on solving the crime.

This book is about Robert Hunter, a homicide detective for the LAPD, who's assigned a new (rookie) partner, Carlos Garcia, and their first case is the gruesome death of a young woman found in a remote cottage. She is hung from two poles and her skin has been removed from her face while she was still alive. Soon after looking at the body the double-crucifix is found on her neck and Robert knows this is going to be one tough case, cause the killer to which this mark belongs was executed two years earlier. So is this either a copycat or the real killer still out there.

Although I'm not fond of detectives with personal issues (that just makes the story slide away from the crime solving) but Detective Hunter needed it. He received his PhD in the age of 23 and his thesis paper had been made into a book and became a mandatory reading, he has all the luck with the ladies and is always right. Without a little flaw in the guy he would hardly be an interesting character, but thank God he isn't as perfect as he looks. So in this case being a cynic and having a drinking problem can make you human.
The work relationship between Hunter and Garcia is interesting. Hunter is experienced and works from instinct and Garcia is a rookie and is methodical doing things as learned from books. This means they quite disagree on a few occasions.

This book definitely isn't for the squeamish. The crimescenes are quite detailed and the killings are all as gruesome as the first one. The book is told from different perspectives which gives you a more oversee of the events and case that is unfolding in this book.

Chris's writing kept me right on the edge of my seat even after I figured out who done it (don't know how that happened but yeah half way through the book I figured it out) I still was gripped by the events that took place. And there were still enough twists and turns in the story to make it interesting.

I'm looking forward to reading The Executioner. ( )
  KimvA | Aug 23, 2011 |
Think of the movie Saw and the movie Se7en. This is kind of like both of them but without Kevin Spacey. The characters are inoffensive and forgettable, with 'ain't' and 'wanna' randomly thrown into their speech when they feel casual. All their descriptions are nearly identical. The writing is technically terrible-- like reading a first draft, with word choice errors and dialogue tags to drive you crazy-- but the story moves forward, the mysteries aren't instantly guessable and the chapters are short so you can always put the book down to sip your Margarita or stare at the waves. It's a holiday book for when you really don't want to think about anything at all. Don't expect more than that and you'll be entertained. ( )
  jbrubacher | Jun 18, 2010 |
I just loved this book. Gripping, suspenseful, and ultimately satisfying, Carter hooks you in and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end.
This is no masterpiece, but if you want an easy read with lots of gore, this is for you. It can be very nasty in places, so it's only suitable for those with a non-nervous disposition.
A great new writer on the scene, Carter is one to watch. ( )
  maz74 | Jun 5, 2010 |

A terrifying serial thriller guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat. It combines taut plotting with nail-biting suspense of Kathy Reichs and a psychopath even more terrifying than Hannibal Lecter. Not for the faint-hearted, this page-turner introduces a brilliant new writer on the scene.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,720,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible