The Pretend Wife: A Novel by Bridget Asher

The Pretend Wife: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Bridget Asher

Member:xloetje
Title:The Pretend Wife: A Novel
Authors:Bridget Asher
Info:Bantam (2010), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Gelezen, Your library
Rating:****1/2

The Pretend Wife by Bridget Asher

When I fist decided to read The Pretend Wife, I was just looking for a breezy read. I didn't find it. This isn't Contemporary Romance in the truest sense of the word, but it was still wonderful to read. "But I won't miss the Internet," I said and then blurted, "If I get one more piece of spam telling me that my penis is too small, I might need to go to a support group. I immediately wanted to reel the comment back in."This describes Gwen perfectly. She is fun but tense, and afraid of everything.

"Elliot, it turns out, is in need of a pretend wife, just for the weekend, in order to fulfill his dying mother’s last wish."
The story of pretend love turning out to be the real thing isn't new at all, and some of the twists are too timely. What saved it is Bridget Asher's keen, and un-Harlequin voice. I didn't know who Gwen was going to end up with. Maybe she would've played it safe and stayed with Peter. Maybe she would've gone to Elliot. Maybe it would have ended with Gwen finally 'discovering' who she is, and letting go of both of them. The point is, I didn't know, and I liked that. It started out dry but grew interesting. It was honest (without having to be insincere), and it was touching.

So, yes, I loved it more than I thought I would. This had no rustic virgins, virile heroes or gay friends. What it did have? Depth. Nonfluff. You've restored my faith in romances for a while, Bridget Asher. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
I took me a little while to get into this book. I have made it a goal to at least read the first 3 chapters of any book before putting it down for good. I'm glad I stuck with it, because I feel in love with this book! You can see how it was going to end, but it had twists that were surprising. It was definitely worth reading! ( )
  bookescapest | Feb 4, 2012 |
Bridget Asher's first novel, My Husband's Sweethearts was a decent read. I was not sure whether I should read this novel at first, but I am glad I did. Great chick lit read! I read it in one day!! I smiled, laughed, and cried in the end because it was that good! ( )
  irinka87 | Dec 20, 2011 |
Pretty good. Like the issue of secrets.
  shazjhb | Apr 9, 2011 |
It was a good book and the story was interesting but I didnt like that there was sooo much narritive. I got lost in it a few times. All she did was say is this what marriage is... Once she found out that things with Peter werent quite right and realized how things could be the story did turn around. But I would have liked a more ellaberate ending... What happened after she saw Elliot again? Where did that leave her. At least and Epiloge or something. ( )
  Alettasimpson | Aug 15, 2010 |
For Dave, real as real can be
That summer when I first became Elliot Hull's pretend wife, I understood only vaguely that complicated things often prefer to masquerade as simple things at first.

Hoe zou je leven eruit zien als je toch bij die ene ex was gebleven? Gwen is eraan gewend weinig aandacht en liefde te krijgen. Haar vader, een zeebioloog, stortte zich na de dood van haar moeder volledig op zijn werk. En haar man, de altijd even beheerste en brave Peter brengt ook weinig opwinding in haar leven. Als ze plotseling haar ex-vriendje van vroeger, de uitbundige Alex tegenkomt, herinnert ze zich hun intense liefde als de dag van gisteren. Als Alex haar vraagt om te doen alsof ze zijn verloofde is zodat hij de laatste wens van zijn stervende moeder kan vervullen, besluit Gwen met instemming van Peter om op zijn verzoek in te gaan. Voor één weekend maar, wat kan het voor kwaad?
Eenmaal opgenomen in Alex' warme en eigenzinnige familie, begint Gwen zich langzaam af te vragen wat het begrip liefde nu eigenlijk voor haar betekent. Terwijl ze de ware toedracht van haar moeders dood ontrafelt begint het erop te lijken dat haar gespeelde relatie met Alex wel eens meer zou kunnen betekenen dan ze denkt…
Bridget Asher is de succesauteur van De Damesparade en woont in Florida met haar betrouwbare en zachtaardige echtgenoot. Samen hebben ze meerdere kinderen die net zo eigenzinnig zijn als hun moeder en net zo lief als hun vader.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385341911, Hardcover)

What would life be like with the one who got away? From the author of My Husband’s Sweethearts—hailed as “a laugh-and-cry novel”* that’s “whip-smart, tender…an undiluted joy to read”**—comes this bighearted, funny, fiercely perceptive tale about a happily married woman and the little white lie that changed everything.…

For Gwen Merchant, love has always been doled out in little packets—from her father, a marine biologist who buried himself in work after her mother’s death; and from her husband, Peter, who’s always been respectable and safe. But when an old college boyfriend, the irrepressible Elliot Hull, invites himself back into Gwen’s life, she starts to remember a time when love was an ocean.

What does Elliot want? In fact, he has a rather surprising proposition: he wants Gwen to become his wife. His pretend wife. Just for a few days. To accompany him to his family’s lake house for the weekend so that he can fulfill his dying mother’s last wish. Reluctantly Gwen agrees to play along—with her husband Peter’s full support. It’s just one weekend—what harm could come of it?

But as Gwen is drawn into Elliot’s quirky, wonderful family—his astonishingly wise and open mother, his warm and welcoming sister, and his adorable, precocious niece—she starts questioning everything she’s ever expected from love. And as she begins to uncover a few secrets about her own family, it suddenly looks like a pretend relationship just might turn out to be the most real thing she’s ever known.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:03 -0400)

For Gwen Merchant, love has always been doled out in little packets--from her father, who buried himself in work after her mother's death; and from her husband, Peter, who's always been respectable and safe. But when an old college boyfriend, the irrepressible Elliot Hull, invites himself back into Gwen's life, she suddenly starts questioning everything she's ever expected from love. Elliot, it turns out, needs a pretend wife for the weekend--a relationship which might turn out to be the most real thing Gwen has ever known.… (more)

316 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,274,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible