The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert…

The Walking Dead: Compendium One

by Robert Kirkman, Charles Adlard (Illustrator), Tony Moore (Illustrator), Cliff Rathburn (Illustrator)

"An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months society has crumbled-- no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

After having tried to watch the show multiple times, I can safely say I don't have the patience for the how the Walking Dead show is paced. It can be a bit...slow, to say the least, and I tend to be pretty impatient. I was able to get the compendium out of the library, and honest to goodness, I read the whole book in one night. Inauguration Day 2017, oddly enough. I wasn't the biggest fan, hence only giving it 3 stars. I'm glad I read the book in one night instead of trying to get through...what is it, like 7 seasons of the show? Some of the imagery is pretty gruesome and cool, similar to the imagery of the show. From what I know of the show, though, the plots are SUPER different. Anyone who's a fan of the show who wants to read the graphic novel...just, beware of that. ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
I finally jumped into [b: The Walking Dead|6465707|The Walking Dead, Compendium 1|Robert Kirkman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1449865699s/6465707.jpg|6656179], guys. Though after reading through this compendium (the first 48 issues), I don't think I'll ever start watching the television show... Some things are fine being read in a book or a comic, but actually seeing them on screen is a bit much. I think all of The Walking Dead falls into that category for me.

The comics are beautifully illustrated in black and white, the line-work sharp and stark in such a way to elicit the tension inherent in the series. The writing is great, as are the characters. I've heard the comics/show referred to as "The Talking Dead" in the past, meant as an insult and to convey the idea that it's much more about the characters than the zombies... but isn't that where the bulk of the drama should be? The humans create more problems for themselves than the zombies ever could, and although the villains are a bit more "out there" in many cases, it's in a good classic horror trope way.

The main character in particular, Rick Grimes, satisfied me. He makes poor choices, he's very human, and he suffers the consequences of his actions. He's a necessary evil more often than not, but the escalation of his poor choices is slow and believable right up to the point it goes too far and you cringe.

All in all this was a fun read and I'd like to continue to keep up with the story as I can. I can understand its popularity, and it's a fun little treat to dig into it as October begins. I look forward to reading more and getting more up to date on the series. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I haven't read a comic or graphic novel in close to 20 years. I waited for a good one!
These are quite different from the show, although it is possible to see where the show came out of them.
I really loved this! Can't wait for the next one! ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
First 8 vols, over 1000 pages
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
The Walking Dead compendium 1 had me hooked from the first page. As an avid watcher of the show, I had heard countless times how different the comic is, so I was already expecting some differences before starting. I was constantly shocked or surprised by the subtle and definitely not so subtle differences. Without any spoilers...the Governor's story line was much more tame in the show, I actually like Andrea more in the comic, than the show, and I still hated Lori. I can't wait to start compendium 2 and find out what my favorite gang of survivors is up to! ( )
  jess_reads_books | May 15, 2017 |

The Walking Dead #46 by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead #47 by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead #48 by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 1 by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead, Book One by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 2: Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Book Two by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 3: Safety Behind Bars by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 4: The Heart's Desire by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 2 by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead, Book Four by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 7: The Calm Before by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 8: Made To Suffer by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Book Three by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 5: The Best Defense by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 6: This Sorrowful Life by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

This is not good.
Please do not combine with The Walking Dead Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye, The Walking Dead Book 1 or The Walking Dead Volume 1 Deluxe HC. The "volumes" are trade paperbacks which collect 6 issues, while the "books" are hard covers which collect 12 issues, the "Deluxe HC" collects 24 issues and the "compendium" collects 48 issues.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,834,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible