The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert…

The Walking Dead: Compendium One (original 2005; edition 2009)

by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore (Illustrator), Charlie Adlard (Illustrator), Cliff Rathburn (Illustrator)

6041916,187 (4.19)26
Member:kaitlynmeans
Title:The Walking Dead: Compendium One
Authors:Robert Kirkman
Other authors:Tony Moore (Illustrator), Charlie Adlard (Illustrator), Cliff Rathburn (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2009), Paperback, 1088 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, graphic novels

The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (2005)

This was damn good, I could hardly put it down. In fact I was trapped under it's tremendous weight. There were some narrative issues that I was easily able to look past because it constantly kept me on edge. I am looking forward to starting the second compendium soon. ( )
  dtn620 | May 22, 2014 |
Review originally appears here: http://www.thesteadfastreader.com/2014/02/frightful-friday-walking-dead_7.html

These books need no synopsis, if you don't have a synopsis level understanding of these graphic novels already, you're missing out on a huge cultural phenomenon and need to march yourself right over to Wikipedia and educate yourself. Then you're probably going to have to subscribe to Netflix and binge watch the crazy-awesome AMC series.*

These compendiums are two huge volumes of a little over 1,000 pages each. Since they're graphic novels it makes the page count much less impressive, but it's still a fairly extensive body of work.

Now, I'm not normally a graphic novel person, though I've been reading more of them since this foray into book blogging. The Walking Dead is an exception to the rule. I asked for these volumes for Christmas (because before I read them I couldn't justify the purchase myself). I love the AMC series, although it took me until at least halfway through the second season before it grew on me. So with my background of excluding graphic novels as serious contenders for truly awesome books and stories and the fact that I love the television series, I didn't expect to be overly wowed by these.

I was so totally wrong.

These two volumes bring a depth to (most) of the characters that is lacking in the television series. I know. You're thinking, "But those characters on the television machine are pretty deep and important, especially as far as book-to-screen characters go." I know! These books are super exciting, the characters are all deeply flawed and extremely interesting.

The series, at first blush, appears to be about the zombie apocalypse. But this is selling the whole thing short, it's really a very violent, in depth character study of how people react to life and death situations. On how people react to constant life and death situations. It was the books that (finally) made me realize the 'walking dead' in the title refers to the survivors not the zombies. (My mind was blown about that a few Top Ten Tuesday's ago.)

There are characters that are really only identifiable by name. (Take Maggie, she's a completely different [read: annoying] person in the graphic novels.) Daryl and Merle are fabricated completely for the screen, there are no characters that fit those molds in the book. Lori! Carl! Shane! Judith! Everything is different!

But you know what's the most awesome part of all this? One doesn't detract from the other. The books are fabulous, I love them, and will probably purchase the third compendium for myself when it comes out. The television series is equally amazing and has almost taken a complete turn from where the books go. It's one of the rare instances where the books and the screen adaptation are of equal awesomeness.

The constant is Rick, always Rick. The flawed leader, struggling father, the guy who keeps everyone together.

Most of the art is so-so, though there are the occasional full page spreads that are detailed and wonderful. The story and the characters flow around the art, so I suppose it's doing what it's meant to. My only other complaint is: can the publisher move these things to the Kindle? Please? The volumes are printed on heavier than normal paper so I felt a little like Matilda reading Dickens when I was reading these. They are huge and heavy. I would have been just fine reading them on my iPad, thanks.
1 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
"So far hundreds have already reviewed this title so I'm not likely to say anything new or particularly interesting but I did want to put in my handful of bullet points.

* The 12 and 14-year-olds in the house love the television show and enjoy graphic novels so when I got this I thought we could all read it. No way in hell. The show is violent and so is the compendium but the sex and language in the book is just too much. Today's teens may be desensitized to violent stuff going down but the amount of sex and innuendo is just too much. Plus the language is far too... realistic. Great for me, great for them when they're 20.

* When I consider the amount of artwork that went into this thing I'm just flabbergasted. Sure some people like to draw but this is 1000+ pages. Wow. You have to respect that.

* I'm a bit of an anal retentive book nerd so when I got this I was in mortal fear of the binding. It's huge. It's heavy. I expected a split spine within 200 pages. Not so. I've come to the end and the binding is as perfect as ever. Color me relieved.

* I've seen the series. I've read the first compendium. On the series the characters do seem somewhat better developed; probably because it's been pretty hard for me to tell people apart. In the compendium the theme seems to be better preserved. We seem to see these people spiraling down into depravity with greater acuteness. Could be my imagination too but that's just my sense.

* In general I don't do a lot of graphic novels and it took me a while to adjust to the reading order for the bubbles and I still don't pay nearly as much attention as I should to the illustrations. I'm just reading bubbles 90% of the time. It may be perhaps useful to the uninitiated to suggest slowing your reading pace to take in the whole thing rather than just racing through the words.

* From a plot standpoint the story for the show seems to stick to the general outline of the original but only vaguely. It's recognizable as derived from the same source but that's about it. Don't expect to find all your favorite characters.

In summary, I can see what all the fuss was about." ( )
  slavenrm | Feb 5, 2014 |
I think... this series might be a little too much for me. Maybe it's less intense when read serially, but I went through the compendium in large chunks. It made me want to pick up some Cormac McCarthy to cheer myself up.

Aside from the completely grim nature of the book, Kirkman seems to be covering the same ground over and over again: People are bad, mmkay? Maybe worse than the zombies. I get it. I do. I understand that this isn't really a zombie book so much as a book about human nature and the reality of life when all social and governmental structure has collapsed. Other graphic novel series and television programs, and prose novels, etc. have dealt with this idea (Y: the Last Man, Lost), but Kirkman's vision is unrelenting in its negativity. Yes, people are dicks, and there are those in this world who are completely evil, but I can't help thinking there's more to humanity than that. Is anyone in Kirkman's world, other than Rick and Co. capable of retaining any moral sense? Kirkman's missing the boat on exploring all aspects of human nature. The reason this book gets three stars instead of two is the size of Kirkman's balls. He takes risks with his characters, and the are no magical, deus ex machina hay endings for anyone. I like that.

Also, I'm not a fan of Adlard's work. It's sloppy and for the first several issues of his run, I had a hard time telling characters apart. I really found myself missing Tony Moore's work - he did vol. 1. Moore is a master of facial expression. Adlard got better as the series went on, but I never really warmed up to his work.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm going to continue. Maybe if another compendium comes out, I'll pick it up, but I don't think I have the emotional energy to read this on a regular basis. ( )
  gypsycab79 | Jun 25, 2013 |
What I really want is for The Walking Dead to come to an end, but that's the one thing it can never do. The forty-eighth issues collected here are relentless, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. Characters are killed off, maimed, tortured, &c. in a way that's rare in serial fiction-- but you soon learn not to get to close to any of the characters as a result. (Except for poor, perpetually subjugated and neglected Carol. She was my favorite.) Luckily(?), there's an eternal flood of new characters to come in as old ones depart, so that there's always someone that Rick Grimes can feel bad about when they're killed.

But this means it will all never end. What I want is for the characters to successfully build a new civilization and fly off into the sunset, utopia in their wake. But The Walking Dead is very specifically design to stop that from happening: it's about the impossibility of human kindness in these circumstances. Or perhaps, all circumstances. No matter what you do, someone else will come along and screw it up. For the series to end, positively or negatively, would be dishonest, so it must continue to lurch forward from contrived plot to contrived plot, aimless like the zombies that litter its pages. And like the main characters often do, I feel like I should end it all because nothing worthwhile is ever going to happen... yet I'll continue to slog through until the bitter end, because knowing is better than not knowing, even when there's nothing good to know.
1 vote Stevil2001 | Apr 8, 2013 |

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adlard, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, TonyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rathburn, Cliffmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

The Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 1 by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead, Book One by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #2 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #1 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #3 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #4 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #5 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #6 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 2: Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Issue #7 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Issue #8 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Issue #9 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Issue #11 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Issue #12 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Issue #10 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Book Two by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 3: Safety Behind Bars by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Issue #13 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Issue #14 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #15 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #16 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #17 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #18 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 4: The Heart's Desire by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #19 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #20 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #21 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #22 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #23 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #24 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 2 by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead, Book Four by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 7: The Calm Before by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #37 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #38 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #39 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #40 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #41 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #42 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 8: Made To Suffer by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #43 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #44 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #45 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #46 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #47 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #48 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Book Three by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 5: The Best Defense by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #25 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #26 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #27 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #28 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #29 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #30 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 6: This Sorrowful Life by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #31 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #32 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #33 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #34 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #35 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #36 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

This is not good.
Please do not combine with The Walking Dead Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye, The Walking Dead Book 1 or The Walking Dead Volume 1 Deluxe HC. The "volumes" are trade paperbacks which collect 6 issues, while the "books" are hard covers which collect 12 issues, the "Deluxe HC" collects 24 issues and the "compendium" collects 48 issues.

"An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months society has crumbled-- no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,251,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible