Shift by Rachel Vincent

Oh. My. God. This is just a heart-stopper. I can't tell you how many times I stopped breathing. The tension alone is enough to leave you gasping. There is no mistaking that [b:Alpha|6449378|Alpha (Shifters, #6)|Rachel Vincent|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|6639480] will be a heart-breaker. Faythe is left with so many decisions to make, I do not envy her at all.

I don't want to say too much but I will disclose the following:

1) Faythe is referred to as Kaci's mother and I have no problem with that because Faythe truly acts like it. She selflessly puts her life in danger on multiple occasions to protect Kaci. Faythe sees a lot of herself in the young tabby and doesn't want her to make the same mistakes she has. Both have suffered so much pain and horror, they share a similar strength and have grown a great deal over the course of the books.

2) Faythe makes some Alpha-ish decisions. Big ones. Ones that test her sense of honour and morality. Understandably she finds them tough and hesitates to go further in one case where her father criticises her choice. I don't blame her, she values life as she should but she needs to find a balance and look at the future welfare of both herself and her pride when making these life and death decisions. Mercy is not always the answer.

3) The Thunderbirds. At first I thought they came across as heartless and unreasonable, and their warped sense of honour bugged me until near the end when we see how they deliver justice and how they interact with their children, part of the reason why they can't really socialise with humans. Young Thunderbirds shift easily and uncontrollably, the smallest change in their emotions and part of their bodies shifts in the blink of an eye. That's another thing, Thunderbirds shift lightening fast and have powerful upper bodies and weak spindly legs because they prefer flight. They make formidable opponents. The werecats may be good at facing earth-bound enemies but ones that drop out of the sky without warning with 10ft wingspans, a strong sharp beak, huge talons on their feet and claws at the end of their wings - not so much. The Thunderbirds are democratic (there has never been an Alpha), they are practical almost to the point of being unemotional and the punishment for the murder of one of their own kind can only be looked upon as painfully gruesome. *shivers*

4) Calvin Malone. Ugh. What a despicable man: he's a manipulative, self-serving SOB and his greed and lust for power may very well be his downfall. He does something which may have triggered the beginning of his demise and I'm hoping it has because that would be incredibly satisfying. He's responsible for so many deaths. The way he treats his enforcers, his own children, his blatant disregard for life in pursuit of power - I'd like to kill him myself!

5) The action. Oh man. There's impressive adrenaline pumping action as always, casualties on all sides (the Saunders pride, the Malone pride and the Thunderbirds) plus murder, kidnapping, conspiracy, testicular disfigurement (totally deserved), facial disfigurement (twice - once in retribution, again totally deserved) and more. The fast pace never let up, never gave you time to relax because every time you started to something shocks you, jumps out or makes you burst out laughing or cheering (the ball-busting was one of those occasions!).

6) Jace vs Marc - What everyone wants to know: Faythe's indiscretion with Jace IS revealed but I won't say how, I don't want to ruin it for you, sorry, though there are several moments when you think "Oh God, here it comes" ratcheting up that tension even more because we know it's coming, we just don't know how and when. Each of these moments gives a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) hint to Marc about what is going on, it's frightening the number of times everything comes so close to exploding. And when the dirty laundry is finally aired you feel just as embarrassed, hurt, confused, scared and lonely as Faythe does.

I honestly don't know what will happen. Most of the book revolves around Jace and Marc with an emphasis on Jace, giving him a chance to show what he has to offer Faythe. Even though Jace has lost some of his happy fun-loving attitude since Ethan's death, with Faythe he regains some of the sparkle in his eye. There are times when Marc seems perfect for her and times where he drops the ball and Jace effortlessly picks it up. Marc is superior in a lot of ways but Jace, where Marc will dispute and challenge Faythe, Jace will trust her most of the time to do the right thing without any explanation or argument, a refreshing change. Now this can be both a good thing and a bad thing but Faythe likes to have room to make her own mistakes and Jace has always given her that, though as we all know Marc has been claustrophobic in his over-protectiveness in the past.

She obviously loves them both and I don't know how she's going to choose because I'm torn too. Normally I can't stand love triangles but this one is so realistic that I don't mind. I can't help but wonder if the choice will be taken away from Faythe. Will one of them die? Will one of them become Alpha of another pride? Overall, this is all just messy and I'm truly scared about the events in [b:Alpha|6449378|Alpha (Shifters, #6)|Rachel Vincent|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|6639480] - this book will be EVERYTHING. I'm certain it will be book that will require a box of tissues in order to get through it. September cannot come soon enough and I'm grateful I don't have to wait until next February. Two books in one year, we're so lucky!

I bow down in respect to [a:Rachel Vincent|415967|Rachel Vincent|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1262900481p2/415967.jpg]'s astonishing writing ability, to make readers feel her characters' emotions and have them laugh and cry right along with them. It's beautiful. After reading some really crappy and so-so books lately, this was an utter joy to read. 5 stars! ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Oh Rachel Vincent, you cruel woman. This was another good story that ended with my biggest question still unanswered...so, cliffhanger! Here I am, waiting until October for Alpha... ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
This book picks up right where the last one left off. I really like the world that Rachel Vincent has built in this series. The characters are well developed and I personally enjoy reading about them. Faythe is a strong willed, never give up kinda girl. I like that she isn't afraid to speak her mind, even if she knows nobody is going to like what she says. I like Marc, but sometimes he frustrates me. There are times when he seems blind to what is going on around him, which contradicts his position as an enforcer. I don't particularly care for the love triangle that seems to be developing with Faythe. Sometimes triangles don't bug me, but it depends how they are used. This one is just annoying to me. Why does she all of a sudden have to develop feelings for someone else.. (or at least it seems sudden to me). The main storyline of the book involving the thunderbirds is interesting and compelling. I found myself staying up late just so I could read more of the book. There are plenty of unexpected twisted in this book that left me saying "Oh my!" and left me wanting to finish to find out how it ends. And as I got closer to the end of the book the more frustrated with it i got. I understand that you have to have tension in a book in order to keep people coming back, but the Faythe and Marc constant back and forth is starting to get really annoying. As much as the triangle annoys me, the story is well written and pulled me in. I'm looking forward to picking up the next book and figuring out what happens next. ( )
  Krisrich85 | Oct 8, 2013 |
I was up until 2 in the morning finishing this. Well worth it. ( )
  DrkCherry | Sep 21, 2013 |
This was a great book. This is the best book I have read in a long time. I cannot wait for Alpha to come out. I cannot wait to see how this series ends, though I am sad to hear that it is ending. There is a new species introduced in this book. I am not sure I have ever heard of this species in any other book, movies, etc. It was great to read about a completely new species. I am glad to see Faythe taking a more leadership role and is really starting to gain respect from everyone. I love watching as she matures and grows into her role. She will become a great alpha one day. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
To No.1, who takes care of everything I forget and makes it possible for me to do what I love. Thank you.
"You should leave. Now."

Being the first female werecat enforcer isn't easy, but Faythe Sanders is stronger in so many ways. Her Pride is under attack by a flight of vicious thunderbirds, and making peace with these new enemies may be the only way to get the best of their old foe. With the body count rising and treachery everywhere, her instincts tell her to look before she leaps.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,504,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible