Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts by Pam…

Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts

by Pam Lintott

742162,398 (4)None

This is almost a pure project book and I wouldn't even have picked it up if Frances and Sandy hadn't talked about it over and over. Frances has definitely picked my favorites out of the quilts in this book.

One pattern I can't get out of my mind is Stepping Stones, pg.72-79. It is one of the more complex patterns and includes four patches. If I made it, I would want to use fabric on hand, so I have spent some commute time daydreaming about various color variations, whether I would start cutting 10" squares and then start the quilt when I was done or what.

There is a lot to like about this book. There are a variety of patterns for every skill level. The authors clearly state how many precuts are needed to make the quilt. A lot of the quilts have colors that really appeal to me, but there are also reproduction and more muted fabrics used, so that the book covers a lot of bases in terms of tastes in fabric. Each quilt is made twice with the second quilt using very different fabrics. I like this aspect, because it is hard for me not to be influenced by the fabric choices in the photos. Seeing a second quilt in different colors reminds me to the design of the quilt rather than the colors.

I liked the border on the Raspberry Ripple quilt (pg.14-17) because it has the 'self-bordering' effect that I like so much. High Flying Geese (pg.30-35) is very similar to Serendipity Puzzle, a classic Dutchman's Puzzle pattern. The colors are so fresh and appealing in the Lintott version that I would consider making another version just because of that freshness.

Some of the blocks are so easy and so large that you could do a quilt really quickly. Those quilts don't appeal to me. some of the photos aren't very crisp. I was disappointed in the photo of Damask Rose (pg.48-53), because the piecing is very hard to see with the fabrics the authors chose. This is one of the more complicated quilts and I would want to show off the piecing. This is one of the few quilts in the book that does not have a second colorway.

Hexagon Hip Hop (pg.64-71) is version of a hexagon quilt, like Attack of the Hexies, but using half hexagons. It has a really interesting and well thought out border. I also like that the second colorway shows how nice a gift a hexagon quilt would make that special guy in your life.

There are small introductions to each quilt, which are similar, if not as detailed, as the color stories in [b:The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking|7852860|The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking 15 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty|Jane Brocket|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1279087515s/7852860.jpg|10979784]. They suggest other options, talk about the fabrics chosen and encourage the quiltmaker, as in the description of Little Houses (pg.102-109) where the pieces are on the small side.

If you want a wide variety of patterns to use with Jelly Rolls and other precuts, then you might enjoy this book.
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
Building on the success of their earlier book (Jelly Roll Quilts), this British mother-and-daughter team have produced another set of ideas for using these tempting sets of pre-cut fabric ranges that we are so tempted to buy! Great for ideas for quilts which look complicated but aren't. Not quite as inspirational as the first book, which spawned many similar (but less good) imitations, but some interesting ideas I wouldn't have thought up. Sets my fingers itching to start something, but first I just gotta finish something else.... ( )
  Tesca | Sep 9, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0715332082, Paperback)

Jelly Roll, Layer Cake and Charm Quilts provides seventeen beautiful projects that show you how to get the most from pre-cut fabric bundles. The projects range from smaller lap quilts to full-sized bed quilts and each is made from one jelly roll, layer cake or charm pack (or a combination), making the quilts quick and economical. Using the latest fabrics, the authors provide a main quilt and an alternative color way for added versatility. Simple step-by-step instructions and illustrations make creating quilts from bundles fun and easy, regardless of your skill level.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:26 -0400)

Discover how to make clever quilts with layer cakes, jelly rolls and charm packs that are a million miles from simple strip quilts or scrap charm quilts. Simple step-by-step instructions and illustrations make creating the 17 project quilts accessible to quilters of all abilities.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible