The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a…

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the… (2009)

by Gretchen Rubin

2,0191053,316 (3.67)54
2010 (29) 2011 (14) 2012 (17) 2013 (11) biography (13) ebook (19) family (11) goodreads (7) happiness (145) inspirational (8) Kindle (19) life (11) lifestyle (8) memoir (123) non-fiction (230) organization (7) own (10) personal growth (7) philosophy (12) psychology (68) read (22) read in 2010 (16) read in 2011 (7) read in 2012 (8) relationships (7) self improvement (23) self-help (102) to-read (79) unread (8) wishlist (13)

English (104)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (105)
I started going to bed earlier so as to sleep more and be happier. It actually makes you feel happier when you are rested! Good read , ( )
  Mariavictoria | Apr 19, 2014 |
This book was fantastic. This is one of the best 'concentrate on what's important' books that I've read in a long time. I felt a connection with the narrator as I notice many of the same tactics used by her appeal to me. There's a lot that could be put into play with this book, a lot that can be done with it. Of course now, the challenge is personalization and implementation of my own 'happiness project'.

Unlike a lot of other books in the 'concentrate on what's important' genre, Rubin seems to have done her research. Yes, this book is a memoir, but it's not completely based on anecdotal and personal experience. Rubin cites scientists, philosophers, alongside her own experience. It's incredibly refreshing.

Edit: I've read some other reviews of this book, there's a lot of 'Who wants to hear about a rich white lady who has it all?' Well, at the outset of the book Rubin admits she's living a charmed life. She seems to struggle a little bit with it through the book... but the principles are pretty universal. I don't think that anyone is going to argue that Rubin is the new Dalai Lama for spiritual enlightenment... this doesn't mean that despite the fact she leads a privileged and wonderful life that she has nothing whatsoever to say. I liked her honesty, though there seem to be quite a few reviewers who thought she was bitchy. I enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love a few years ago and liked it a lot as a travelogue and a memoir, but there wasn't a whole lot I could take away from that book to actually implement in my own life, the fact that Rubin focuses on the small things (that 99% of people could stand to work on) is what makes this book great.

There's also something really authentic about Rubin who offers up the resources that she found useful during her journey to readers. She invites people interested to actually contact her, she could have made more money selling all these materials commercially, instead she offers them up for free... which I think is a testament to her desire to help people by publishing her journey - despite it being 'stunt journalism'.

Also, what the hell does what her in-laws fiscal worth have to do with anything? ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Enjoyable inspiring read! A resounding call to honor your time and create your own happiness. this book chronicles the authors experiences over a twelve month period as she challenged herself to learn more about happiness and the cultivating of. the book is conversational and has a wealth of ideas on how to begin your own Happiness Project. Very inspiring! ( )
  Cyndecat | Mar 4, 2014 |
I've had lots of fun reading this candid, honest, and sometimes humorous account of the year that Gretchen spent trying to be happier. It is set as resolutions made for every month of the year. I have started reading this book earlier this year. Every now and then, i would read a few pages, I liked to let it linger over the year. I've decoded back in September that it would be fun to finish reading it on December, since the last chapter in the book is about December, and I did, and I'm very glad that I did. It's an easy enjoyable read. i am not sure if i'd read her other book 'happier at home' , but it's not out of question. Very nice book, not a heavy self-help book, yet pretty educating. i loved the quotes she used, and how organized it was - she's a very organized serious person, and I like that. ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
The book is a great read. Rubin takes a very analytical approach to a seemingly more abstract and emotional subject matter: Happiness. She spends each month of a year focusing on a particular area of her life and taking steps to be more happy.
It's in some ways just another self help book. But I love these kind of books. They are usually easy reads. They aren't always profound, but there is always one or two tidbits of information that are new and intriguing. But even if there is nothing profound, just the basic story of someone tackling a subject of self-improvement is motivational to me.
I made all kinds of new goals and changes in my schedule and daily activities in just the week that I read this book.

And Rubin is just a good writer over all. I think I might even read one of her biographies sometime. ( )
  ariahfine | Feb 6, 2014 |
A fun, funny and wise book written by Gretchen Rubin, a regular HuffingtonPost.com contributor, it's a distillation of the wisdom of the ages on happiness. It provides eminently practical ways to amplify your happiness pretty much immediately (e.g. gossip less; exercise more; launch a pet project).

(Video review follows)

I had fun reading about Rubin's triumphs, insights, and failures. She's honest about her frustrating experiences, which are often more interesting that her successful ones.

If you are interested in clarifying your reasons to become uncluttered, are looking to be happier, or simply enjoy the genre of “a year in the life” style books, I recommend checking out The Happiness Project. It’s a great reminder for not letting the joys of life pass you by.
added by bongiovi | editUnclutterer Blog (Dec 29, 2009)

Samuel Johnson: "As the Spanish proverb says, 'He, who would bring home the wealth of the Indies, must carry the wealth of the Indies with him."
—James Boswell, The life of Samuel Johnson
There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
—Robert Louis Stevenson
For My Family

On the outside, Gretchen Rubin had it all--a good marriage, healthy children and a successful career--but something was missing. Determined to end that nagging feeling, she set out on a year-long quest to learn how to better enjoy the life she already had. Each month, Gretchen pursued a different set of resolutions--go to sleep earlier, tackle a nagging task, bring people together, take time to be silly. She read everything from classical philosophy to cutting-edge scientific studies, from Winston Churchill to Oprah, developing her own definition of happiness and a plan for how to achieve it. She kept track of which resolutions worked and which didn't, sharing her stories and collecting those of others. Bit by bit, she began to appreciate and amplify the happiness in her life. With a wicked sense of humour and sharp insight, Gretchen's story will inspire readers to embrace the pleasure in their lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible