The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a…

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the… (2009)

by Gretchen Rubin

English (116)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (117)
Good reminders on how to protect and create joy and recognize deflating habits. Not life changing, but some useful stuff regardless. I tried not to gossip last night at a girls movie night but apparently need to work on that. : ) ( )
  RachelGMB | Aug 5, 2015 |
I expected to enjoy this more than I did, since I loved "Better than Before" so much. I think the difference is that while in BTB it is up to the reader to determine the habits she personally wants to develop, here we read about Gretchen's quest for what she describes as happiness. I do not think she and I agree about what happiness means and whether it can be pursued directly. The author seemed to me to be writing rather about becoming a better person and/or living a meaningful life and/or leading a full, varied life and/or finding out who she really was, but mostly pretending to be the person she felt she ought to be.

She was commendably honest, but returned so often to her tendency to be impatient with her husband and children that I wanted to tell her that yes, she did sound a bit mean and I thought she was probably not the " fun parent" in that family. Being kind to those we love is surely a natural response and I am sad that she has to "work" on this as a way of making herself happier. There were helpful ideas of course, particularly accepting that just because other people find something fun, that does not mean it is fun for me, and work out what you enjoy by looking at what you already do and where your mind naturally turns. Less helpful - trying to come up with something you might collect??? Seriously, I think collecting finds you.

My favourite sentence: "How fun to imagine that when [the girls are] fifty years old, they'll be able to look back at their birthday party invitations from nursery school," I have no words. I skimmed from April onwards. ( )
  pgchuis | Jul 8, 2015 |
This book was a recommended and gifted to me by a friend. It gives a great perspective on how to assess your life in a positive way. While I personally identified with the author's over analyzed and tracked journey methods, I found by half-way through the book it was more information about the author than I cared about so I ended up only really paying attention to a portion of the text- looking for only those concepts to which I could relate and apply ideas. I do recommend the book, but if you're looking for a self-improvement type book beware it's really all about the author's journey which was very specialized and specific. ( )
  connianne | Jun 5, 2015 |
I liked this book more than I expected to. The author talks about her attempt, through the course of the year, to find small things she could do to make her life happier, and she explains that other people could do this, to, but the things they would choose might be different things, and different results. I admit that there were several things she did or talked that I don't agree with or I don't think they would work in my life. However, there were many things I did like, and I felt like she presented a good case, through her example, about how we can make goals (she calls them "resolutions") to do small things to gradually increase our own happiness and the happiness of others around us. ( )
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |
Reread for the Book Club May 2015. ( )
  aine.fin | May 8, 2015 |
A fun, funny and wise book written by Gretchen Rubin, a regular HuffingtonPost.com contributor, it's a distillation of the wisdom of the ages on happiness. It provides eminently practical ways to amplify your happiness pretty much immediately (e.g. gossip less; exercise more; launch a pet project).

(Video review follows)

I had fun reading about Rubin's triumphs, insights, and failures. She's honest about her frustrating experiences, which are often more interesting that her successful ones.

If you are interested in clarifying your reasons to become uncluttered, are looking to be happier, or simply enjoy the genre of “a year in the life” style books, I recommend checking out The Happiness Project. It’s a great reminder for not letting the joys of life pass you by.
added by bongiovi | editUnclutterer Blog (Dec 29, 2009)

Samuel Johnson: "As the Spanish proverb says, 'He, who would bring home the wealth of the Indies, must carry the wealth of the Indies with him."
—James Boswell, The life of Samuel Johnson
There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
—Robert Louis Stevenson
For My Family

On the outside, Gretchen Rubin had it all--a good marriage, healthy children and a successful career--but something was missing. Determined to end that nagging feeling, she set out on a year-long quest to learn how to better enjoy the life she already had. Each month, Gretchen pursued a different set of resolutions--go to sleep earlier, tackle a nagging task, bring people together, take time to be silly. She read everything from classical philosophy to cutting-edge scientific studies, from Winston Churchill to Oprah, developing her own definition of happiness and a plan for how to achieve it. She kept track of which resolutions worked and which didn't, sharing her stories and collecting those of others. Bit by bit, she began to appreciate and amplify the happiness in her life. With a wicked sense of humour and sharp insight, Gretchen's story will inspire readers to embrace the pleasure in their lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,031,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible