The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a…

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the… (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Gretchen Rubin

Title:The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
Authors:Gretchen Rubin
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 301 pages

The happiness project by Gretchen Rubin (2009)

English (132)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (133)
4 stars! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I got some good ideas and some inspiration and that was the point. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
So I don't agree with everything a 100% but mostly? WOW. It's such a smart, methodical approach to happiness!

Mostly I don't think not ever criticizing is a good idea, I think one should aim to limit oneself to constructive criticism (could totally work on this myself
For quotes visit:
http://readingz.livejournal.com/281487.html ( )
  askajnaiman | Jun 14, 2016 |
I hope it's not the best book I'll ever read on happiness, but it does deserve more than 4 stars. I'm putting a bunch from her bibliography on my to-read shelf! I liked especially her quotes from people who commented on her blogs. My copy is from the library but there is so much good advice it'd be worth trying to buy a copy for yourself. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I "read" the audiobook version which is narrated by the author. I found some helpful tips in this book. Some chapters really didn't apply to my life, but I enjoyed hearing about the author's struggles with her monthly resolutions. A nice feature is that Gretchen Rubin has posted lots of helpful tools online for free to help readers start their own happiness projects. ( )
  DrApple | Apr 11, 2016 |
A fun, funny and wise book written by Gretchen Rubin, a regular HuffingtonPost.com contributor, it's a distillation of the wisdom of the ages on happiness. It provides eminently practical ways to amplify your happiness pretty much immediately (e.g. gossip less; exercise more; launch a pet project).

(Video review follows)
I had fun reading about Rubin's triumphs, insights, and failures. She's honest about her frustrating experiences, which are often more interesting that her successful ones.
If you are interested in clarifying your reasons to become uncluttered, are looking to be happier, or simply enjoy the genre of “a year in the life” style books, I recommend checking out The Happiness Project. It’s a great reminder for not letting the joys of life pass you by.
added by bongiovi | editUnclutterer Blog (Dec 29, 2009)

Gretchen Rubinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kord, RussellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenth, LarsOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bree, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walendowska MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Samuel Johnson: "As the Spanish proverb says, 'He, who would bring home the wealth of the Indies, must carry the wealth of the Indies with him."
—James Boswell, The life of Samuel Johnson
There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
—Robert Louis Stevenson
For My Family
A "happiness project" is an approach to changing your life. (A Note to the Reader)
I'd always vaguely expected to outgrow my limitations.

January, Vitality: boost energy -- February, Marriage: remember love -- March, Work: aim higher -- April, Parenthood: lighten up -- May, Leisure: be serious about play -- June, Friendship: make time for friends -- July, Money: buy some happiness -- August, Eternity: contemplate the heavens -- September, Books: pursue a passion -- October, Mindfulness: pay attention -- November, Attitude: keep a contented heart -- December, Happiness: boot camp perfect -- Your happiness project -- Further reading.

Happiness Project Tool Box

On the outside, Gretchen Rubin had it all--a good marriage, healthy children and a successful career--but something was missing. Determined to end that nagging feeling, she set out on a year-long quest to learn how to better enjoy the life she already had. Each month, Gretchen pursued a different set of resolutions--go to sleep earlier, tackle a nagging task, bring people together, take time to be silly. She read everything from classical philosophy to cutting-edge scientific studies, from Winston Churchill to Oprah, developing her own definition of happiness and a plan for how to achieve it. She kept track of which resolutions worked and which didn't, sharing her stories and collecting those of others. Bit by bit, she began to appreciate and amplify the happiness in her life. With a wicked sense of humour and sharp insight, Gretchen's story will inspire readers to embrace the pleasure in their lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,700,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible