The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

The Happiness Project (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Gretchen Rubin

Member:mattparfitt
Title:The Happiness Project
Authors:Gretchen Rubin
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, Paperback
Rating:***

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin (2009)

English (106)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (107)
Where do I start with Gretchen Rubin and her "Happiness Project"...

I liked and disliked the book/author at the same time. I believe everyone should be striving to better their life and try to accomplish things to make them happy. Gretchen Rubin's book is essentially her own account of trying to accomplish just that. I liked her approach of breaking it down into a 12 step monthly program that acts as a continuous New Years Resolution. However, I don't like the personal experiences she uses. This woman is rich, has a wonderful husband, children, in-laws, lives in New York and pretty much has the ability to quit her lawyer job to stay at home and pursue her writer dream. Well, good for her. Not to sound bitter but her experiences put some perspective on what "problems" people like her try to tackle and it can be quite laughable. This book would be great for someone who has it all but is bored and gets easily irritated with having it all. Don't get me wrong, I did come out of this with many good tips and ideas for increasing my happiness but I also was very irked by the pompousness of Gretchen and her perfect life.
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
So I don't agree with everything a 100% but mostly? WOW. It's such a smart, methodical approach to happiness!

Mostly I don't think not ever criticizing is a good idea, I think one should aim to limit oneself to constructive criticism (could totally work on this myself
For quotes visit:
http://readingz.livejournal.com/281487.html ( )
  Evalangui | Aug 22, 2014 |
I started going to bed earlier so as to sleep more and be happier. It actually makes you feel happier when you are rested! Good read , ( )
  Mariavictoria | Apr 19, 2014 |
This book was fantastic. This is one of the best 'concentrate on what's important' books that I've read in a long time. I felt a connection with the narrator as I notice many of the same tactics used by her appeal to me. There's a lot that could be put into play with this book, a lot that can be done with it. Of course now, the challenge is personalization and implementation of my own 'happiness project'.

Unlike a lot of other books in the 'concentrate on what's important' genre, Rubin seems to have done her research. Yes, this book is a memoir, but it's not completely based on anecdotal and personal experience. Rubin cites scientists, philosophers, alongside her own experience. It's incredibly refreshing.

Edit: I've read some other reviews of this book, there's a lot of 'Who wants to hear about a rich white lady who has it all?' Well, at the outset of the book Rubin admits she's living a charmed life. She seems to struggle a little bit with it through the book... but the principles are pretty universal. I don't think that anyone is going to argue that Rubin is the new Dalai Lama for spiritual enlightenment... this doesn't mean that despite the fact she leads a privileged and wonderful life that she has nothing whatsoever to say. I liked her honesty, though there seem to be quite a few reviewers who thought she was bitchy. I enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love a few years ago and liked it a lot as a travelogue and a memoir, but there wasn't a whole lot I could take away from that book to actually implement in my own life, the fact that Rubin focuses on the small things (that 99% of people could stand to work on) is what makes this book great.

There's also something really authentic about Rubin who offers up the resources that she found useful during her journey to readers. She invites people interested to actually contact her, she could have made more money selling all these materials commercially, instead she offers them up for free... which I think is a testament to her desire to help people by publishing her journey - despite it being 'stunt journalism'.

Also, what the hell does what her in-laws fiscal worth have to do with anything? ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Enjoyable inspiring read! A resounding call to honor your time and create your own happiness. this book chronicles the authors experiences over a twelve month period as she challenged herself to learn more about happiness and the cultivating of. the book is conversational and has a wealth of ideas on how to begin your own Happiness Project. Very inspiring! ( )
  Cyndecat | Mar 4, 2014 |
A fun, funny and wise book written by Gretchen Rubin, a regular HuffingtonPost.com contributor, it's a distillation of the wisdom of the ages on happiness. It provides eminently practical ways to amplify your happiness pretty much immediately (e.g. gossip less; exercise more; launch a pet project).

(Video review follows)

I had fun reading about Rubin's triumphs, insights, and failures. She's honest about her frustrating experiences, which are often more interesting that her successful ones.

If you are interested in clarifying your reasons to become uncluttered, are looking to be happier, or simply enjoy the genre of “a year in the life” style books, I recommend checking out The Happiness Project. It’s a great reminder for not letting the joys of life pass you by.
added by bongiovi | editUnclutterer Blog (Dec 29, 2009)

Samuel Johnson: "As the Spanish proverb says, 'He, who would bring home the wealth of the Indies, must carry the wealth of the Indies with him."
—James Boswell, The life of Samuel Johnson
There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
—Robert Louis Stevenson
For My Family

On the outside, Gretchen Rubin had it all--a good marriage, healthy children and a successful career--but something was missing. Determined to end that nagging feeling, she set out on a year-long quest to learn how to better enjoy the life she already had. Each month, Gretchen pursued a different set of resolutions--go to sleep earlier, tackle a nagging task, bring people together, take time to be silly. She read everything from classical philosophy to cutting-edge scientific studies, from Winston Churchill to Oprah, developing her own definition of happiness and a plan for how to achieve it. She kept track of which resolutions worked and which didn't, sharing her stories and collecting those of others. Bit by bit, she began to appreciate and amplify the happiness in her life. With a wicked sense of humour and sharp insight, Gretchen's story will inspire readers to embrace the pleasure in their lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,967,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible