Night Whispers by Judith McNaught

Night Whispers (1998)

by Judith McNaught (Author)

Series: Second Opportunities (Book 3)

Oh, thank the Book Gods. I was so scared I was going to hate this. I loved [b:Perfect|129617|Perfect (Second Opportunities #2)|Judith McNaught|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1171988350s/129617.jpg|1391556] but then I hated [b:Every Breath You Take|129613|Every Breath You Take|Judith McNaught|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320440614s/129613.jpg|1180004] with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, so it was a real toss up as to whether or not I'd enjoy this. There was a lot in the blurb that said to me I might hate this book too, but it worked out in such a way that I did like it.

While the pacing of the book was pretty weird, I liked the progression of the story and couldn't immediately guess who was guilty of what.

I pretty much liked all of the characters (except, of course, Carter) and cared about them. I felt a lot of apprehension throughout at how hurt certain characters were going to be when the truth unraveled. It turns out one of the characters was actually in Perfect and I didn't realize until it was explained at the end of the book (I read Perfect two years ago) but I definitely remember them from that book. I'm not sure why, but it excited me to no end to find that out. I actually want to read that book again now.

The only things I didn't like were that Sloan continually felt the need to make people feel better about Carter. Screw that asshole! He should have everyone hate him. There's no excuse for what he did. Especially blaming it on his mommy. He was a grown ass man. And the ending dropped the ball. I wanted, no I think we needed, more of that final scene. There needed to be more words between them. That epilogue was utterly useless. The first part was a total waste of irrelevant words and there were just a lot of things that were left unmentioned and questions unanswered. I might have been able to deal with that if it just ended with the last chapter, but with that epilogue I would expect to know much more than we were given. It felt really rushed, like she had to turn it in in a half hour and just typed up something really quickly.

3.5 stars. Down from four for the pacing and that ending. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
Judith McNaught is a talented writer, but this is not one of her better works. In general, I think her writing is better suited towards historical romances rather than contemporaries, and 'Night Whispers' illustrates my point. It's not bad ... but it doesn't come alive they way some of her other books do, like 'Whitney, My Love' and 'Almost Heaven'. This, I find, is true of all her contemporary romances that I've read. So, I think I'd actually recommend this to people who aren't already familiar with this author as opposed to long-standing fans. That way, things can only go uphill. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jun 13, 2010 |
I was rather disappointed with the characters. Noah Maitland seemed to sure of himself and others and seemed unforgiving until the last few pages. Noah's sister cheered the pages up a bit, but the story seemed a bit uneven for me ( )
  gogglemiss | Jan 3, 2008 |
The heady social whirl of San Francisco and Palm Beach are utterly foreign to Sloan Reynolds. A dedicated and popular policewoman in a small Florida community, petite, blond Sloan values her investigative work than a Dior dress. As a child, Sloan was aware that the small-town life she shared with her divorced mother was a long way from the rarefied world of privilege inhabited by her socialite father and her elegant sister, Sloan dreamed secretly of being reunited with the family she'd never known. Total strangers to her, they have never tried to contact Sloan - until her father's heart attack is followed by a sudden invitation to meet him and Paris, and indulge in the Palm Beach social season.
  DunnFunKat | Sep 18, 2007 |
Predictable but enjoyable. Women were all looking for men-and ONLY men! and the usual old love making scenes. Got boring after awhile.
7/9/99 ( )
  cindyloumn | Jan 27, 2007 |

McNaught, JudithAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
ComstockCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Litwack, LisaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dearest Nicky,
As your first birthday approaches, it is time to offer you some guidance to help steer you through life. The dedication page of this novel seems a rather good place to do that, and so I give it to you here:

Aim high—like your mom.
Shoot straight—like your dad.
Fight hard for what you believe in—like your uncles.

Each time you succeed, no matter how tiny the success, stop for a moment and listen for a cheer. You'll hear it in your heart. Do you hear it now?
That's me, my darling.
No matter where I am, or where you are, I'll be cheering for you.
Always, Forever.
He's been following her for three days, watching. Waiting.
Do not combine with Night Whispers by Lynn Erickson

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671525743, Mass Market Paperback)

After 30 years, Sloan Reynolds is about to meet the father she never knew. Claiming that his ill health has led him to attempt reconciliation, Carter Reynolds invites Sloan to meet him and his other daughter, Paris, in the glamorous world of Palm Beach, Florida. With all the sense and courage that her job as a cop requires, Sloan refuses the invitation, convinced that nothing good could come from meeting her absentee father. But when FBI agent Paul Richardson intervenes and explains that Reynolds is under suspicion, she agrees to enter the world of the social elite in order to help investigate her father.

Prepared to hate Palm Beach and all its inhabitants, Sloan is surprised to find herself drawn towards Paris, her cranky great-grandmother, and Paris's neighbors, the Maitland family--particularly Noah Maitland. Noah has all the characteristics of Mr. Perfect, which is exactly what scares Sloan. How could someone so sophisticated, smart, and handsome be attracted to her?

But just as the two begin to explore their attraction, Sloan's hopes for her new family and friends crumble. Paul closes in on the dark truth about Carter Reynolds and his suspicions expand to include Noah. Soon, Sloan is an unwilling accomplice in the investigation against Noah, and when a horrible murder occurs, she just may be the next victim.

Bestselling author Judith McNaught has all the ingredients for a great romantic thriller in Night Whispers: the handsome and not-quite-aboveboard hero, the optimistic lady-cop, a handful of exotic and unreadable socialites, and all in all she delivers the goods. Even so, the fact that nearly everyone couples off at the end feels slightly trite, and the motivations of the true killer are somewhat unconvincing. Apart from these minor flaws, Night Whispers remains an entertaining and certainly worthwhile read. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:47 -0400)

A policewoman in a small Florida community, Sloan Reynolds knows that her modest upbringing is a long way from the social whirl of Palm Beach, the world inhabited by her father and her sister, Paris. But when an FBI agent informers her that her father and his associates are suspected of fraud, conspiracy, and murder, Sloan agrees to accept the sudden invitation they extend to have her join them for the Palm Beach season.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,254,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible