Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught

Whitney, My Love

by Judith McNaught

Gabriel's Bride by Samantha James (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: same kind of possessive, jealous male lead

English (23)  German (1)  All (24)
I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top favorite book ( )
  Deleine | May 10, 2016 |
The story is set in England in 1816, during the height of the Regency period. The hero of the story, the Duke of Claymore or more intimately known as Clayton Westmoreland, is a deliciously dark and arrogant bachelor, who is finding himself the the predicament of needing an heir to his titles, his vast fortune and estate.
He is also incredibly handsome, a confirmed rake and highly eligible bachelor, so he is no stranger to the attentions of women…. and honestly, quite bored with them as well. Until he sees her in Paris, at a Masquerade ball, surrounded by the attentions of others, Miss Whitney Stone catches his interest, like no other woman he has encountered before.
Feeling a bit arrogant of his position and his appearance, the duke approached Miss Stone, only to be rejected quite intensely after he lured her onto a balcony, and kissed her against her will.
He was not only intrigued by her rejection of him, and his title, he was also instantly struck by her beauty, her self assurance, her wit and her intelligence. But most intensely by her fire and her strong will. Which was when he decided he would have her for his wife, no matter what it took.

And it took quite a lot…

Whitney however, was and had been completely infatuated with another man. A man from her hometown she’s known since she was a young girl, and had vowed from that time to marry. Also a man that not only did not return her affections at the time, but was quite annoyed with her persistent chasing and flirtations.

That is until she returned from an extended stay in France, where she had grown into the most beautiful and elegant woman around. So it was to her delight, that she had finally captured his eye.

Little did she know, however, that she was already betrothed to another. Yes, the duke himself, had sought out her father, and even stationed himself in a home nearby, to make it easier to win her affections. He even took on an alias, to keep her from discovering his true identity.

“What sort of man are you that you have to purchase a wife? What sort of animal are you that you had to buy her without ever having seen her? How much did I cost you?,” she demanded.

And as his feelings for her grew into a love and passion beyond his control, she was to equal his in hatred when the truth was eventually discovered.

As with her other novels, Judith McNaught brings life to her characters. One cannot help but laugh at Whitney's outrageousness and applaud her courage. And despite his arrogance (and yes he could be a real jerk at times), you will love Clayton. Sure, there were those two occasions that I found quite frustrating when he assumes the worst of Whitney, but the way he atones for his mistakes really show how much he loves her.As for that rape scene, well I didn't find it as ghastly as I thought it would be. And I don’t live in a world which is black and white, so I don’t react the same way others may: Whitney really behaved stupid beforehand, and Clayton, fueled by his anger, does this thing to her. Which is, he forces her to have sex with him. But we get an insight into Whitney’s thoughts, while this is happening. So we know: she feels like she has deserved this punishment and wants to participate, or rather, to let him do it. He stops forcing her after he deflowers her, he dosen’t continue. And right after the moment he realises that she was a virgin until then, he regrets it and sees reality again. I absolutly DO NOT justify what he is doing, it is not correct to do something like that to a woman, no matter the circumstances. But McNaught makes me see his remorse, his guiltiness, his depression about what he has done, so that I forgive him, like Whithney does. For me it’s not about moral aspects or sexist aspects or whatever, for me it’s about an author who dares to write a very disturbing scene, happening between the main characters. And the reader dosen’t want this happening to the main characters, because of their sanctious status in the novel. Simply because human do error, do make mistakes, do learn from them. And simply because none can say: I would never do this and that when I love somebody sincerely.

With McNaught, when the characters love, they love as much as one can love, and when they hate, they hate as much as one can. But love and hate are so near, they are nearly indistinguishable, and Whitney and Clayton do both emotions very strongly. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
For those who love a bodice ripper this is an ideal read, for me however it was a poor attempt to copy Gone with the wind, the characters and storyline were too similar without the stirring back drop of the civil war.

If you take the comparison away it was an ok read in its own right ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
Second book now by Ms. McNaught and i can say with all honesty that this woman knows romance. Brilliant! ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
The novel had too little plot for its considerable length, and what little plot it had didn't quite work and felt contrived.
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |

McNaught, JudithAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bennett, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Photography Inc., PaccineCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Michael- my friend, my husband, my love.
As their elegant travelling chaise rocked and swayed along the rutted country road, Lady Anne Gilbert leaned her cheek against her husband's shoulder and heaved a long, impatient sigh.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671776096, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Regency England
Sensuality: 7

Whitney Stone's teenage crush on a neighbor has her cold, unfeeling father banishing her to Paris into the care of her aunt and uncle. Under their loving guidance, the young woman blossoms into a ravishing beauty and becomes the darling of glittering Parisian society--a fact not lost on the handsome and equally powerful Duke of Claymore, who determines to make her his wife. Despite the duke's fervent interest, Whitney remains fixed on her childhood love. That is, until she finds herself tempted by the Duke--an attraction that both delights and baffles Whitney, causing her to be increasingly wary of what her heart may lead her to do. The Duke suffers no such confusion. He wants Whitney. And he plans to have her, despite a number of obstacles, including the infatuation Whitney seems to have for another; her aunt's growing concerns; and her greedy father's bungling efforts to control his beautiful daughter. But before the Duke and Whitney's plans can reach fruition, they'll have to work their way through a morass of misunderstandings that threaten any hope of a happy ending.

Meticulously researched and set against the background of Regency England's country charms and London society, this classic historical romance boasts a hero and heroine who possess deep passion and strong, independent character, as well as a heartfelt story line that will keep readers turning the pages. Author Judith McNaught has endeared herself to readers with the quality of her writing and Whitney My Love--McNaught's first bestseller--is a not-to-be-missed example of just why her stories are so eagerly awaited by fans everywhere. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,097,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible