The World Is Flat Brief History of the 21st…

The World Is Flat Brief History of the 21st Century (edition 2005)

by Thomas Friedman

Member:bren
Title:The World Is Flat Brief History of the 21st Century
Authors:Thomas Friedman
Info:Farrar Straus Giroux (2005), Gebundene Ausgabe

The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century by Thomas L. Friedman

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx (Rigour)
    Rigour: Read the Communist Manifesto to truly understand globalization (whatever your personal ideology is).
    Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America by Thomas L. Friedman (skyiscool)
    skyiscool: Hot, Flat, and Crowded builds off many of the topics that Friedman presents in The World Is Flat. Although both books adequately stand on their own, they together form an informed and powerful worldview.
    The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger by Marc Levinson (infiniteletters)
    Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben (pa5t0rd)

English (153)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (159)
The world is flat talks about globalisation and it goes through 3 phases of this process. The period between 1492 and 1800 he calls globalisation 1.0. It’s a period fuelled by muscle power and the national economy. The bigger the country you came from, the greater the chances you would do well in international trade. The second era lasted from 1800 until 2000 and, naturally, was called globalisation 2.0. It was the era of multinational companies and decreasing cost of transportation thanks to the steam engine, railroads, ships and then telecommunications to move goods and information from continent to continent, creating global markets. Finally, globalisation 3.0 is the period from 2000 to the present. The third phase is driven by empowered individuals from countries outside both the United States and Western Europe and it is a result of convergence and creations of a global web-enabled playing field that allows for multiple forms of collaboration. Sharing of knowledge and work in real time without regard to geographical dislocation made the world “flat”. We are going from vertical structures to horizontal...(if you like to read my full review please visit my blog https://leadersarereaders.blog/2019/01/31/theworldisflat) ( )
  LeadersAreReaders | Feb 19, 2019 |
In this brilliant book, the award-winning New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman demystifies the brave new world for readers, allowing them to make sense of the often bewildering global scene unfolding before their eyes. With his inimitable ability to translate complex foreign policy and economic issues, Friedman explains how the flattening of the world happened at the dawn of the 21st century; what it means to countries, companies, communities and individuals; and how governments and societies can, and must, adapt.
  HandelmanLibraryTINR | Nov 22, 2018 |
The World is Flat is a complex look at the systems and infrastructure that goes on within our world. It also greatly explains how people throughout the world, especially in developing countries are able to work for companies in the U.S. I would reccomend this book to anyone interested in getting a job in the next four years. ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
I had heard of this book for some time; well in fact years and never quite got around to reading it. Nor did I read it this time actually listening to an audiobook version. Took 25 or so hours to do that. My first impression was that it is a book that needs to be read in a timely mannerl; meaning closer to publication date as it got dated quickly. So being a good ten years behind I could see all I missed in the intervening years.

Thomas Friedman no doubt put a lot of thought and analysis into the ideas presented here and many I felt were quite on the mark. The central theme being whittled down into the fact that the explosion of information technology and computer centered technology to be more specific has indeed flattened the world. India and China being the seemingly big winners and the U.S. ultimately one of the big losers. Having launched much if not most of the technology that made this flattening possible we now stand by and watch as these rising star countries make use of it siphoning off our past dominance in world trade among other things.

He covers a wide array of topics and makes it a point to expound on his more liberal viewpoint on how the world is and the future should be. And we know who the bad guys are according to Friedman. He may have some valid points here and there but unless you are aligned to his viewpoint you clearly are on the other side of what supposedly got us into this mess. ( )
  knightlight777 | May 23, 2018 |
A' class informative book about globalised world in 21st century. It talks away the notion of round world. Thomas Friedman identifies forces of flattening of the world beginning fall of Berlin Wall to major events that shaped internet revolution in globalised world of equality. Spread through the pages are perspectives on America, developing countries and companies w.r.to the flat world. Towards the end, the book draws attention to effects of these forces on you and I as individuals. It also indulges in resultant effects on geo-politics and offers a window of future imagination. Highly research oriented book and a definitive read to know digitisation that's already happened to America, and that's trickling down to developing world thence. First published in 2005, this book is a comprehensive account of forces that are shaping our future currently. ( )
  dimplesrao | Jan 21, 2018 |
On an ideological level, Friedman's new book is the worst, most boring kind of middlebrow horseshit. If its literary peculiarities could somehow be removed from the equation, The World Is Flat would appear as no more than an unusually long pamphlet replete with the kind of plug-filled, free-trader leg-humping that passes for thought in this country. It is a tale of a man who walks 10 feet in front of his house armed with a late-model Blackberry and comes back home five minutes later to gush to his wife that hospitals now use the internet to outsource the reading of CAT scans. Man flies on planes, observes the wonders of capitalism, says we're not in Kansas anymore. (He actually says we're not in Kansas anymore.) That's the whole plot right there. If the underlying message is all that interests you, read no further, because that's all there is.

Friedman describes his honest reaction to this new world while he's at one of India's great outsourcing companies, Infosys. He was standing, he says, ''at the gate observing this river of educated young people flowing in and out. . . . They all looked as if they had scored 1600 on their SAT's.

To Matt and Kay and to Ron
No one ever gave me directions like this on a golf course before: "Aim at either Microsoft or IBM."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374292795, Hardcover)

Updated Edition: Thomas L. Friedman is not so much a futurist, which he is sometimes called, as a presentist. His aim in The World Is Flat, as in his earlier, influential Lexus and the Olive Tree, is not to give you a speculative preview of the wonders that are sure to come in your lifetime, but rather to get you caught up on the wonders that are already here. The world isn't going to be flat, it is flat, which gives Friedman's breathless narrative much of its urgency, and which also saves it from the Epcot-style polyester sheen that futurists--the optimistic ones at least--are inevitably prey to.

What Friedman means by "flat" is "connected": the lowering of trade and political barriers and the exponential technical advances of the digital revolution that have made it possible to do business, or almost anything else, instantaneously with billions of other people across the planet. This in itself should not be news to anyone. But the news that Friedman has to deliver is that just when we stopped paying attention to these developments--when the dot-com bust turned interest away from the business and technology pages and when 9/11 and the Iraq War turned all eyes toward the Middle East--is when they actually began to accelerate. Globalization 3.0, as he calls it, is driven not by major corporations or giant trade organizations like the World Bank, but by individuals: desktop freelancers and innovative startups all over the world (but especially in India and China) who can compete--and win--not just for low-wage manufacturing and information labor but, increasingly, for the highest-end research and design work as well. (He doesn't forget the "mutant supply chains" like Al-Qaeda that let the small act big in more destructive ways.)

Friedman has embraced this flat world in his own work, continuing to report on his story after his book's release and releasing an unprecedented hardcover update of the book a year later with 100 pages of revised and expanded material. What's changed in a year? Some of the sections that opened eyes in the first edition--on China and India, for example, and the global supply chain--are largely unaltered. Instead, Friedman has more to say about what he now calls "uploading," the direct-from-the-bottom creation of culture, knowledge, and innovation through blogging, podcasts, and open-source software. And in response to the pleas of many of his readers about how to survive the new flat world, he makes specific recommendations about the technical and creative training he thinks will be required to compete in the "New Middle" class. As before, Friedman tells his story with the catchy slogans and globe-hopping anecdotes that readers of his earlier books and his New York Times columns know well, and he holds to a stern sort of optimism. He wants to tell you how exciting this new world is, but he also wants you to know you're going to be trampled if you don't keep up with it. A year later, one can sense his rising impatience that our popular culture, and our political leaders, are not helping us keep pace. --Tom Nissley

Where Were You When the World Went Flat?

Thomas L. Friedman's reporter's curiosity and his ability to recognize the patterns behind the most complex global developments have made him one of the most entertaining and authoritative sources for information about the wider world we live in, both as the foreign affairs columnist for the New York Times and as the author of landmark books like From Beirut to Jerusalem and The Lexus and the Olive Tree. They also make him an endlessly fascinating conversation partner, and we've now had the chance to talk to him about The World Is Flat twice. Read our original interview with him following the publication of the first edition of The World Is Flat to learn why there's almost no one from Washington, D.C., listed in the index of a book about the global economy, and what his one-plank platform for president would be. (Hint: his bumper stickers would say, "Can You Hear Me Now?")

And now you can listen to our second interview, in which he talks about the updates he's made in "The World Is Flat 2.0," including his response to parents who said to him, "Great, Mr. Friedman, I'm glad you told us the world is flat. Now what do I tell my kids?"

The Essential Tom Friedman

The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs
Globalization and Its Discontents by Joseph Stiglitz
The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy by Pietra Rivoli
The Mystery of Capital by Hernando de Soto

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

Offers a concise history of globalization, discussing a wide range of topics, from the September 11 terrorist attacks to the growth of the middle class in both China and India.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,572,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible