Until You by Judith McNaught

Until You (original 1994; edition 1995)

by Judith McNaught

Member:charleneheins
Title:Until You
Authors:Judith McNaught
Info:Pocket Books (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***

Until You by Judith McNaught (Author) (1994)

English (12)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
This is not a bad read - just not a genre I normally am drawn to. The book did not inspire me to want to read more of her books. That does not mean you may enjoy it more than I. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Jun 4, 2016 |
The third book in the Westoreland trilogy, more light hearted than the previous 2, I loved the character Charity Thornton who provided much light relief ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
I always thought Judith McNaught could do no wrong. Until I read this book. And I wanted to LOVE Stephen Westmoreland's story, especially since he is so charming in 'Whitney, My Love'. The vibe in 'Until You' is completely different, and the poignant scenes that is so McNaught's signature seems entirely forced. I did, however, enjoy reading about Whitney and Clayton with their son Noel - the book's saving grace, at least to me. ( )
  aznstarlette | Mar 12, 2015 |
My first [a:Judith McNaught|9885|Judith McNaught|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1246151270p2/9885.jpg] book, chosen because a Goodreads review of another novel rated [b:Until You|129618|Until You (Westmoreland, #3)|Judith McNaught|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171988350s/129618.jpg|726849] as one of the best amnesia-theme romances around.

In a word: disappointing. Some elements of the story were strong, some were not. The biggest problem was the structure of the narrative. The idea of a feisty red-headed American governess being struck on the head by cargo being unloaded from a ship, losing her memory, and being mistaken for her runaway charge, was original.

Just as the story was getting under way, Ms McNaught decided to insert a very long and tedious (and mostly irrelevant) flashback to the amnesiac heroine's past life in America. A firm editor would have slashed most of this section, or at least suggested splitting it into shorter pieces and interleaving it with the main story.

The reason for the cast of thousands isn't clear -- until you discover from external sources that they're all carry-overs from previous novels. Characterisation is patchy; two-dimensional at best. Perhaps these transient characters receive more detailed attention in other novels.

The timing of the sudden appearance of the runaway charge, for whom the heroine has been mistaken, was a clumsy blunder, a wide rift in the fabric of the story. Noting that the novel still had dozens of pages to go, I gave up at this point and resigned the book to my Did Not Finish shelf. Curiosity brought me back and perseverance pushed me to the end, but didn't change my opinion of the book as a whole. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
I liked this book a lot, but not as much as the first two books in the series. Why do all of the Westmoreland men always jump to such nasty conclusions? ( )
  Hollie1122 | Oct 5, 2014 |

McNaught, JudithAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charles, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I write novels above very special, fictional people—men and women of courage and loyalty, of humor and integrity, people who care very much about other people.
I am honored to dedicate this novel to two real-life people who are the equal to any of those fictional characters, two people who I am privileged to call my friends...
To Pauli Marr, with equal parts of gratitude and admiration for all the things you are, and for all the things you've shared with me—including some of the most hilarious, and difficult, moments of my life. Occasionally, at one and the same time....
and
To Keith Spalding. I always imagined a knight-in-shining-armor would ride to the rescue on a destrier and carry a lance. Who would have guessed he'd ride in a BMW and carry a briefcase! But regardless of the mode of transportation or the method of defense, no knight of old could surpass you for integrity, loyalty, kindness, and humor. My life is so much the better for having known you.
I couldn't end this dedication without mentioning four other wonderful people for reasons they will know and understand:
To Brooke Barhorst, Christopher Fehlig and Tracy Barhorst—with all my love...
and
To Megan Ferguson, who is one very special young lady—with all my gratitude.
Propped upon a mountain of satin pillows amid rumpled bed linens, Helene Devernay surveyed his bronzed, muscular torso with an appreciative smile as Stephen David Elliot Westmoreland, Earl of Langford, Baron of Ellingwood, Fifth Viscount Hargrove, Viscount Ashbourne, shrugged into the frilled shirt he'd tossed over the foot of the bed last night.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671880608, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author Judith McNaught sweeps readers from the wilds of America to elegant 1820s London in this unforgettable romantic adventure.

A teacher in a school for wealthy young ladies, Sheridan, Bromleigh is hired to accompany one of her students, heiress Charise Lancaster, to England to meet her fiancé. When her charge elopes with a stranger, Sheridan wonders how she will ever explain it to Charise's intended, Lord Burleton.

Standing on the pier, Stephen Westmoreland, the Earl of Langford, assumes the young woman coming toward him is Charise Lancaster -- and informs her of his inadvertent role in a fatal accident involving Lord Burleton the night before. And just as Sheridan is about to speak, she steps into the path of a cargo net loaded with crates!

Sheridan awakens in Westmoreland's mansion with no memory of who she is; the only hint of her past is the puzzling fact that everyone calls her Miss Lancaster. All she truly knows is that she is falling in love with a handsome English earl, and that the life unfolding before her seems full of wondrous possibilities...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

In 1820, a shipwrecked sailor, Stephen Westmoreland, is found on a Scottish shore with a treasure chest of gold and jewels. He is nursed to health by Cory Drummond and they are married by her vicar father. But Drummond is spirited away by members of his crew who inform Cory that he died. A year later she spots him in London, walking down the street, but he has no recollection of her or their marriage. By the author of Paradise.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,158,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible