Until You by Judith McNaught

Until You (original 1994; edition 1995)

by Judith McNaught

Member:charleneheins
Title:Until You
Authors:Judith McNaught
Info:Pocket Books (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***

Until You by Judith McNaught (Author) (1994)

English (10)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
I always thought Judith McNaught could do no wrong. Until I read this book. And I wanted to LOVE Stephen Westmoreland's story, especially since he is so charming in 'Whitney, My Love'. The vibe in 'Until You' is completely different, and the poignant scenes that is so McNaught's signature seems entirely forced. I did, however, enjoy reading about Whitney and Clayton with their son Noel - the book's saving grace, at least to me. ( )
  aznstarlette | Mar 12, 2015 |
My first [a:Judith McNaught|9885|Judith McNaught|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1246151270p2/9885.jpg] book, chosen because a Goodreads review of another novel rated [b:Until You|129618|Until You (Westmoreland, #3)|Judith McNaught|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171988350s/129618.jpg|726849] as one of the best amnesia-theme romances around.

In a word: disappointing. Some elements of the story were strong, some were not. The biggest problem was the structure of the narrative. The idea of a feisty red-headed American governess being struck on the head by cargo being unloaded from a ship, losing her memory, and being mistaken for her runaway charge, was original.

Just as the story was getting under way, Ms McNaught decided to insert a very long and tedious (and mostly irrelevant) flashback to the amnesiac heroine's past life in America. A firm editor would have slashed most of this section, or at least suggested splitting it into shorter pieces and interleaving it with the main story.

The reason for the cast of thousands isn't clear -- until you discover from external sources that they're all carry-overs from previous novels. Characterisation is patchy; two-dimensional at best. Perhaps these transient characters receive more detailed attention in other novels.

The timing of the sudden appearance of the runaway charge, for whom the heroine has been mistaken, was a clumsy blunder, a wide rift in the fabric of the story. Noting that the novel still had dozens of pages to go, I gave up at this point and resigned the book to my Did Not Finish shelf. Curiosity brought me back and perseverance pushed me to the end, but didn't change my opinion of the book as a whole. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
I liked this book a lot, but not as much as the first two books in the series. Why do all of the Westmoreland men always jump to such nasty conclusions? ( )
  Hollie1122 | Oct 5, 2014 |
Sheridan Bromleigh had spent her youth in America being unconventional until her aunt took her in hand and sent her to school. She couldn't resist the opportunity to visit England as a companion to Charise Lancaster, who is on her way to meet her finance. However before they could arrive in london Charise elopes with someone she meets on the ship, Sheridan has to break it to Lord Burleton that she had misplaced his bride. She was shocked to find that he had been killed in an accident. However things get more complicated when she's knocked out in an accident and loses her memory.

I enjoyed this story, great fun, the setup was well organised and believable and the resolution, while a little strained was interesting. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 30, 2012 |
Until You is the story of Stephen Westmoreland, first introduced in Whitney, My Love. I highly recommend reading Whitney... before Until You. Clayton (Duke of Claymore) and his wife Whitney are major characters in this book, and it will be much more enjoyable if you've read their story first.

Due to an unfortunate accident, Stephen Westmoreland feels responsible for the death of a young bridegroom. When he hears that the bride is arriving soon on a ship from America, Stephen goes to the dock to intercept her and break the news to her. When he gets there, a beautiful red-haired woman is waiting for him. After he tells her the news, she is struck by a cargo net and falls unconscious. He takes her to his home, and when she wakes up she has amnesia. What she doesn't know is that her name is Sheridan, and she is not the intended bride. Instead, she was the bride's paid companion and was dreading having to meet with the bridegroom to tell him that his bride eloped with a sailor.

Obviously, this leads to confusion for all parties. Stephen assumes she is the fiancee, and Sheridan is so confused that she accepts this identity. To make matters worse, the doctor advises Stephen to pretend to be her intended so she will feel secure in a stranger's home. It's not hard to imagine what happens. As Stephen pretends to be her fiancee, he finds himself falling in love with her. Sheridan likewise cannot resist her handsome, charming fiancee. The only thing that seems to be missing from her life is the memories of her past.

The events described take up almost half of the book. In fact, it took a full 100 pages just to reach the point described on the book's back cover. This created a very slow beginning. Knowing about the mistaken identity, I was ready to get into the story. However, there were endless tales of Sheridan's childhood that, while entertaining, did not add much to the overall story's plot. After trudging through the first 200 pages, suddenly the action picks up when, while she is preparing for her wedding to Stephen, the "real" fiancee shows up and accuses Sheridan of being a fraud. Suddenly, Sheridan's memories return, and she realizes an earl will not want to marry a paid servant. Moreover, she realizes Stephen has lied all along about being her fiancee, and she feels duped by the entire Westmoreland family. Sheridan immediately leaves Stephen at the altar. While Sheridan feels betrayed and hurt, and Stephen's feelings for Sheridan turn to hate, his mother, sister-in-law, and a forgetful friend come together to help the lovers see the truth and make the match of the Season! ( )
  halo776 | Jun 17, 2011 |

McNaught, JudithAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charles, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I write novels above very special, fictional people—men and women of courage and loyalty, of humor and integrity, people who care very much about other people.
I am honored to dedicate this novel to two real-life people who are the equal to any of those fictional characters, two people who I am privileged to call my friends...
To Pauli Marr, with equal parts of gratitude and admiration for all the things you are, and for all the things you've shared with me—including some of the most hilarious, and difficult, moments of my life. Occasionally, at one and the same time....
and
To Keith Spalding. I always imagined a knight-in-shining-armor would ride to the rescue on a destrier and carry a lance. Who would have guessed he'd ride in a BMW and carry a briefcase! But regardless of the mode of transportation or the method of defense, no knight of old could surpass you for integrity, loyalty, kindness, and humor. My life is so much the better for having known you.
I couldn't end this dedication without mentioning four other wonderful people for reasons they will know and understand:
To Brooke Barhorst, Christopher Fehlig and Tracy Barhorst—with all my love...
and
To Megan Ferguson, who is one very special young lady—with all my gratitude.
Propped upon a mountain of satin pillows amid rumpled bed linens, Helene Devernay surveyed his bronzed, muscular torso with an appreciative smile as Stephen David Elliot Westmoreland, Earl of Langford, Baron of Ellingwood, Fifth Viscount Hargrove, Viscount Ashbourne, shrugged into the frilled shirt he'd tossed over the foot of the bed last night.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671880608, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author Judith McNaught sweeps readers from the wilds of America to elegant 1820s London in this unforgettable romantic adventure.

A teacher in a school for wealthy young ladies, Sheridan, Bromleigh is hired to accompany one of her students, heiress Charise Lancaster, to England to meet her fiancé. When her charge elopes with a stranger, Sheridan wonders how she will ever explain it to Charise's intended, Lord Burleton.

Standing on the pier, Stephen Westmoreland, the Earl of Langford, assumes the young woman coming toward him is Charise Lancaster -- and informs her of his inadvertent role in a fatal accident involving Lord Burleton the night before. And just as Sheridan is about to speak, she steps into the path of a cargo net loaded with crates!

Sheridan awakens in Westmoreland's mansion with no memory of who she is; the only hint of her past is the puzzling fact that everyone calls her Miss Lancaster. All she truly knows is that she is falling in love with a handsome English earl, and that the life unfolding before her seems full of wondrous possibilities...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

In 1820, a shipwrecked sailor, Stephen Westmoreland, is found on a Scottish shore with a treasure chest of gold and jewels. He is nursed to health by Cory Drummond and they are married by her vicar father. But Drummond is spirited away by members of his crew who inform Cory that he died. A year later she spots him in London, walking down the street, but he has no recollection of her or their marriage. By the author of Paradise.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,900,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible