August Heat by Andrea Camilleri

August Heat (2006)

by Andrea Camilleri

Series: Commissario Montalbano (10)

English (21)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  All languages (31)
Grover Gardner's excellent narration balances out the loss of translator Stephen Sartarelli's footnotes.

I found Livia irritating more than usual in this one and am beginning to wish Montalbano would find another girlfriend. Other than that, this 10th entry in the Montalbano series was another excellent police procedural. I chuckled at times over Montalbano's handling of the bureaucracy! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 5, 2016 |
Another very good outing in the Inspector Montalbano Series set in Sicily. I do like these books and you'd never know they were translations - very well done. Quite a different ending in this one. Love one or two of his sidekicks as well. Four stars. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
This was great, the first one I've read by this author. I've never even heard of this famous series of Montalbano detective stories. There's even a tv series apparently. I am so out of touch.
But these are the best kind of books, the ones that you discover blind. This was bought at a used book sale for $2, as a complete unknown for me. An Italian murder mystery, in translation -- it's gotta be different than the usual North American kind so let's take a flyer, it's only two bucks. When the gamble has paid off, it is extra sweet somehow.
Although the plot is standard fare, a few mild twists and turns, good police work, dogged persistence of the "hunch", etc., the best thing I liked about it was the atmosphere. It felt like a glimpse into everyday life of Italy (not the murder of course). The attitudes toward work, police, the Mafia, and how this microcosm deals with those influences, were all fascinating. The casual descriptions of the kinds of Italian food being eaten made me hungry. There were frequent odd occasions of stripping off the clothes publicly. It happened so often in such unusual situations that it no longer felt unusual, just a bit distracting. The writing has a light touch, and is wryly humourous.
I will look for more in this series, starting first at the local used bookstores. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
First, my compliments to Stephen Sartarelli on his translation and notes compiled for the reader to understand every nuance of Camilleri's written word.
Some say that the pace of the book is slow, but, I enjoyed this differing flavor on a detective novel. Camilleri is able to immerse us in the world of Inspector Montalbano: his love and enjoyment of mediterranean food coupled with a detailed description of the sea and the warm and rocky Sicilian geography. With a mix of humor, cynicism, compassion, and love of good food, Montalbano goes into battle against the powerful and the corrupt who are determined to block his path. This is a"delicious" discovery for mystery afficionados and fiction lovers. (less) ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Mar 25, 2016 |
2010, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by Grover Gardner

Book Description: adapted from Amazon.ca
When a colleague extends his summer vacation, Inspector Salvo Montalbano is forced to stay in Vigàta and endure the August heat. Montalbano's long-suffering girlfriend, Livia, joins him with a friend – husband and young son in tow – to keep her company during these dog days of summer. But when the boy suddenly disappears into a narrow shaft hidden under the family's beach rental, Montalbano, in pursuit of the child, uncovers something terribly sinister. The Sicilian inspector spends the rest of the summer trying to solve the case – undertaking what will prove to be one of the most shocking investigations of his career.

My Review:
Camilleri writes with such sense of place here that it is possible to smell the sea, feel the oppressive Vigàta heat, and savour the exquisite cuisine. It occurs to me, not for the first time, that I’ve got no idea what the Inspector and Livia are really doing together – and it occurs to me that well into middle-age, Montalbano seems often to be surrounded by beautiful women. In this case, a twenty-one-year old identical twin takes him to task. And what theater!

I continue to enjoy Camilleri’s series and look forward to the next. Wonderful escape reads, solid story lines, and a Mediterranean setting. What’s not to like? ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Mar 5, 2016 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He was sleeping so soundly that not even cannon-fire could have woken him.
aka August Heat

When a colleague extends his summer vacation, Inspector Salvo Montalbano is forced to stay in Vigàta and endure the August heat. Montalbano’s long-suffering girlfriend, Livia, joins him with a friend - husband and young son in tow - to keep her company during these dog days of summer. But when the boy suddenly disappears into a narrow shaft hidden under the family’s beach rental, Montalbano, in pursuit of the child, uncovers something terribly sinister. As the inspector spends the summer trying to solve this perplexing case, Livia refuses to answer his calls - and Montalbano is left to take a plunge that will affect the rest of his life.

"When a colleague extends his summer vacation, Inspector Salvo Montalbano is forced to stay in Vigata and endure the August heat. Montalbano's long-suffering girlfriend, Livia, joins him with a friend - husband and young son in tow - to keep her company during these dog days of summer. But when the boy suddenly disappears into a narrow shaft hidden under the family's beach rental, Montalbano, in pursuit of the child, uncovers something terribly sinister. As the inspector spends the summer trying to solve this perplexing case, Livia refuses to answer his calls, leaving Montalbano to take a plunge that will affect the rest of his life." "Fans of the Sicilian inspector as well as readers new to this increasingly popular series will enjoy following the melancholy but unflinchingly moral Montalbano as he undertakes one of the most shocking investigations of his career."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,422,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible