August Heat by Andrea Camilleri

August Heat (2006)

by Andrea Camilleri

Series: Commissario Montalbano (10)

English (23)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All (34)
Un calor asfixiante arrasa Sicilia como una llamarada; durante el día el aire se vuelve irresperable, las piedras queman y ni siquiera un baño en el mar ofrece algo más q alivio momentáneo. Con la ciudad sumida en un letargo incandescente Salvo aguarda la llegada de Livia q viene con unos amigos a pasar las vacaciones en una solitaria casita frente a la playa. Pero el idílico plan se tuerce cuando oculto en los sotanos de la casa aparece un baúl con un cadáver dentro.
Historia del comisario Salvo Montalbano con temas de mafia
  cnautz | May 27, 2017 |
It took a couple of tries before I warmed to Camilleri but I enjoyed this one and now I'm hooked. Inspector Montalbano doesn't always play by the rules, but he does have a heart. This was an intriguing mystery involving Italian building codes, and how to get around the rules. I just can't understand why he stays with his cold girlfriend, Livia. Translator Stephen Sartarelli added notes to explain some references that might be obscure to non-Italian readers. ( )
  VivienneR | May 18, 2017 |
Grover Gardner's excellent narration balances out the loss of translator Stephen Sartarelli's footnotes.

I found Livia irritating more than usual in this one and am beginning to wish Montalbano would find another girlfriend. Other than that, this 10th entry in the Montalbano series was another excellent police procedural. I chuckled at times over Montalbano's handling of the bureaucracy! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 5, 2016 |
Another very good outing in the Inspector Montalbano Series set in Sicily. I do like these books and you'd never know they were translations - very well done. Quite a different ending in this one. Love one or two of his sidekicks as well. Four stars. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
This was great, the first one I've read by this author. I've never even heard of this famous series of Montalbano detective stories. There's even a tv series apparently. I am so out of touch.
But these are the best kind of books, the ones that you discover blind. This was bought at a used book sale for $2, as a complete unknown for me. An Italian murder mystery, in translation -- it's gotta be different than the usual North American kind so let's take a flyer, it's only two bucks. When the gamble has paid off, it is extra sweet somehow.
Although the plot is standard fare, a few mild twists and turns, good police work, dogged persistence of the "hunch", etc., the best thing I liked about it was the atmosphere. It felt like a glimpse into everyday life of Italy (not the murder of course). The attitudes toward work, police, the Mafia, and how this microcosm deals with those influences, were all fascinating. The casual descriptions of the kinds of Italian food being eaten made me hungry. There were frequent odd occasions of stripping off the clothes publicly. It happened so often in such unusual situations that it no longer felt unusual, just a bit distracting. The writing has a light touch, and is wryly humourous.
I will look for more in this series, starting first at the local used bookstores. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He was sleeping so soundly that not even cannon-fire could have woken him.
aka August Heat

When a colleague extends his summer vacation, Inspector Salvo Montalbano is forced to stay in Vigàta and endure the August heat. Montalbano’s long-suffering girlfriend, Livia, joins him with a friend - husband and young son in tow - to keep her company during these dog days of summer. But when the boy suddenly disappears into a narrow shaft hidden under the family’s beach rental, Montalbano, in pursuit of the child, uncovers something terribly sinister. As the inspector spends the summer trying to solve this perplexing case, Livia refuses to answer his calls - and Montalbano is left to take a plunge that will affect the rest of his life.

"When a colleague extends his summer vacation, Inspector Salvo Montalbano is forced to stay in Vigata and endure the August heat. Montalbano's long-suffering girlfriend, Livia, joins him with a friend - husband and young son in tow - to keep her company during these dog days of summer. But when the boy suddenly disappears into a narrow shaft hidden under the family's beach rental, Montalbano, in pursuit of the child, uncovers something terribly sinister. As the inspector spends the summer trying to solve this perplexing case, Livia refuses to answer his calls, leaving Montalbano to take a plunge that will affect the rest of his life." "Fans of the Sicilian inspector as well as readers new to this increasingly popular series will enjoy following the melancholy but unflinchingly moral Montalbano as he undertakes one of the most shocking investigations of his career."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,511,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible