August Heat

Title:August Heat
Authors:
Info:
Tags:Crime

August Heat by Andrea Camilleri (2006)

English (16)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  All languages (26)
This installment started out with a rather interesting twist on the idea of a vacation rental nightmare. I was started to get all geared up for a Sicilian vacation version of the seven plagues of the apocalypse but we do finally get to what I will categorize as the main crime... the discovery of a body. Back on sure footing once again - or so I thought - I settled in to see how the peripheral crimes in the story tie in with this discovery. As with previous installments, this one was an interesting blending of police procedural crime fiction with a more personal, introspective and life evaluating story as Montalbano continues to deal with relationship issues and coming to terms with growing older. This story had a bit more of a soap opera feel to in than previous ones, more so for the nature of the entanglement Montalbano finds himself in and his internal conflict. At this stage in the series, Camilleri assumes all of his readers are up the speed with the various personalities of his characters, so anyone who thinks this is a good time to jump into the series will not understand the character dynamics.

An alright story with an interesting crime to solve and a, surprisingly, rather good ending. ( )
  lkernagh | Jan 12, 2015 |
Oh dear.

I must admit that when I started reading this one I was not pleased at all. The sentences were too choppy. And that's not cool. No way. See? Not pleasing. & I also found some typos that made me sad. But then after that, everything was okay. Everything was just how it's always been.

Pronto. Montalbano sono. Che c'è?

I missed you.

I mean .. I missed this series .. yeah.

Action, mystery, mental chaos, descriptions of delectable food, Catarella, Italian history & a heat that permeated from the pages & made me feel like I was in Sevilla again. Not many books can offer all of that, or any of that, really.

& the ending. Camilleri, I've got my eye on you.

THEY ARE TAKING TOO LONG TO TRANSLATE THESE. I must learn Italian quicklier. ( )
  mvbdlr | Aug 2, 2014 |
Ah, the series is back in form. Crisp comedy had me laughing out loud over my lunch, but the denoument was much more nuanced and human and touching. 4 1/2 stars, ( )
  ffortsa | Oct 25, 2013 |
One of his absolute best! ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
This could have been the best book in the world and all I would have remembered is the thing about cockroaches. It's literally wiped my mind clean of any other detail about this book. From the two stars, I'm guessing it wasn't one of my favourites. I think the hight point of this series for me is still Montalbano using his underwear to drag a corpse from the sea and that time he got almost got shot in the colon. Good times. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He was sleeping so soundly that not even cannon-fire could have woken him.
aka August Heat

When a colleague extends his summer vacation, Inspector Salvo Montalbano is forced to stay in Vigàta and endure the August heat. Montalbano’s long-suffering girlfriend, Livia, joins him with a friend - husband and young son in tow - to keep her company during these dog days of summer. But when the boy suddenly disappears into a narrow shaft hidden under the family’s beach rental, Montalbano, in pursuit of the child, uncovers something terribly sinister. As the inspector spends the summer trying to solve this perplexing case, Livia refuses to answer his calls - and Montalbano is left to take a plunge that will affect the rest of his life.

"When a colleague extends his summer vacation, Inspector Salvo Montalbano is forced to stay in Vigata and endure the August heat. Montalbano's long-suffering girlfriend, Livia, joins him with a friend - husband and young son in tow - to keep her company during these dog days of summer. But when the boy suddenly disappears into a narrow shaft hidden under the family's beach rental, Montalbano, in pursuit of the child, uncovers something terribly sinister. As the inspector spends the summer trying to solve this perplexing case, Livia refuses to answer his calls, leaving Montalbano to take a plunge that will affect the rest of his life." "Fans of the Sicilian inspector as well as readers new to this increasingly popular series will enjoy following the melancholy but unflinchingly moral Montalbano as he undertakes one of the most shocking investigations of his career."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,866,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible