Who's Looking Out for You? by Bill…

Who's Looking Out for You?

by Bill O'Reilly

Pretty good book by the surprisingly moderate Bill O'Reilly. He uses some material you may have read in one of Michael Savage's books concerning the NAMBLA. However, it is overall, a good book. ( )
  GeorgeBarr | Aug 27, 2010 |
I really tried to keep an open mind while reading this and, truthfully, there are some points upon which I agree. But O'Reilly is such a narcissistic, sanctimonious jackass that it's hard for me to care. ( )
  jwcooper3 | Nov 15, 2009 |
Like Bill's past books, Who's Looking Out for You? isn't wretched or anything. There's just not really any deep insight in it- unless you really didn't already know that corporations are out to make money hand over fist, ethics be damned, and politicians are mostly self-serving scumbags whose actual concern for the citizen is inversely proportional to how much they profess to care (i.e. Hillary). I bought this at the airport, and it got me through the flight; it did, so I guess it was a success to that extent. ( )
  badgenome | Oct 23, 2007 |
Oct 8, 2003: As I've said before, I always enjoy reading O'Reilly's books. Some things he says I say, "Boy, you got that right", other things I have to shake my head and say, "Bill, you really don't get it". Same with this book.

The purpose of this book is to determine who really has your best interests at heart. According to Bill, not too many people. Although I don't think he specifically says it, he gives me the impression that a lot of people have an entitlement attitude and truly feel that lots of people are out to take care of them. Among the people and entities that don't care one bit about you are: politicians, the court system, corporate America (specifically those that want to sell you stuff), celebrities, and the church.

I understand his arguments, but where he misses the boat is that he expects corporations, politicians, and celebrities to be moral, ethical, and social beacons from which we (and our children) to learn. Not so, Bill. That should be taught at home and at school. I do expect it from the courts and churches. He's right about that.

In each chapter he gives examples of what's right and wrong about that particular topic. As I said, he does make you think. He made my case for why I disagree with him much stronger, but he gave me some good examples of things I agree with him on. Good book. ( )
  kkirkhoff | Jun 17, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767913795, Hardcover)

As he did in his bestselling books The O'Reilly Factor and The No Spin Zone, TV and radio host Bill O'Reilly again blasts a host of selfish and corrupt individuals and institutions for threatening the nation's well-being--no surprise there. What is surprising is the personal tone of Who's Looking Out For You, which is as much self-help as social or political commentary. Is O'Reilly getting soft? Hardly. He still packs a punch, but this time he mixes tales of outrage with practical advice gleaned from his own experiences and mistakes. The underlying theme of the book is trust. If you can identify and associate with those that deserve your trust, he argues, you will get along well in both your personal and professional life. Among those external forces undeserving of trust, according to O'Reilly, are the media (particularly harmful to children, he warns), the legal system, and the government: "Our federal government is not good at helping real people who have real problems, and it doesn't care about the money you give it as long as that revenue train keeps chugging along," he writes. He also hammers the INS for their lax stance on illegal immigrants and the damage it has caused the country, irresponsible parents, secularists, network news executives, ideologues, and minority leaders who foster hatred in order to serve their own interests, to name just a few offenders. Though some of his advice tends toward the obvious, it is hard to argue with his emphasis on self-reliance, especially at a time when the answer to the question posed in his title seems to be "just me." It's a good bet that many readers will also add Bill O'Reilly to this list. --Shawn Carkonen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:56 -0400)

Makes charges about how politicians, the clergy, and families are failing to protect those in their care, presenting strong statements about personal responsibility and self-reliance in today's uncertain world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible