At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels…

At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels Through Paraguay

by John Gimlette

2031257,794 (3.69)8

So excellent. Makes me want to run away to Paraguay right now. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
Every once in awhile I stumble across a perfect marriage between a writer's style and a book's subject matter. Gimlette wonderfully describes this country's absurd and appalling history juxtaposed between his quirky travel log. ( )
  Clueless | May 3, 2013 |
I tried. This book failed to engage me on any level. I found it rambling, confusing, and cluttered up with repetition. I was unable to get much past 1/4 of the way into it. Perhaps it would have improved, but I'm afraid I'll have to learn about Paraguay some other way. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Maybe it's just that I'm not all that interested in Paraguay or maybe it's because I've lost patience after reading a rash of bad books, but I couldn't get through John Gimlette's "At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig." The book, part travelogue, part history lesson had interesting tidbits here and there (actually only one interesting tidbit about the dictator who pushed his opponents out of planes for sport) but it didn't feel cohesive and wasn't all that interesting to me. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 27, 2012 |
Fascinating, at times funny, at times confusing. Keeping track of the many characters can be tough, but, in the end, not very important. They're all interesting and quirky. I enjoyed this book much more once I decided I didn't need to study it like a history text book and just let the stories "wash over me", to borrow a phrase from "The Big Chill". ( )
  rkstafford | Oct 18, 2010 |

An author's love for Paraguay and its history is offered in a colorful and entertaining account described by a New York Times reviewer as a "mingling of the exotic, the dangerous and the Victorian."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Portrait of the little-known South American country.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible