At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels…

At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels Through Paraguay

by John Gimlette

2051357,211 (3.7)9

"At the tomb of the inflatable pig" was my introduction to John Gimlette, who quickly became one of my preferred writers. Part travelogue/part history, this is one of those books that makes you realise that an otherwise-little thought of nation, region or people has played a much more interesting role in history than previously imaginable.

Gimlette wanders through Paraguay, name dropping figures like Josef Mengele, who arrived here not long after the war and happily found Paraguay completely unconcerned about his past, to the Jesuits of the film "The Mission", to the absolute lunatic dictator who managed to kill off about 90% of his male population fighting an unwinnable war. Also noted is the more recent dictator Stroessner and his rule, which must serve as the model for all aspiring dictators. And who can not like "New Australia", the Socialist Utopia set up in the Paraguayan jungle? ( )
  MiaCulpa | Oct 3, 2014 |
So excellent. Makes me want to run away to Paraguay right now. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
Every once in awhile I stumble across a perfect marriage between a writer's style and a book's subject matter. Gimlette wonderfully describes this country's absurd and appalling history juxtaposed between his quirky travel log. ( )
  Clueless | May 3, 2013 |
I tried. This book failed to engage me on any level. I found it rambling, confusing, and cluttered up with repetition. I was unable to get much past 1/4 of the way into it. Perhaps it would have improved, but I'm afraid I'll have to learn about Paraguay some other way. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Maybe it's just that I'm not all that interested in Paraguay or maybe it's because I've lost patience after reading a rash of bad books, but I couldn't get through John Gimlette's "At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig." The book, part travelogue, part history lesson had interesting tidbits here and there (actually only one interesting tidbit about the dictator who pushed his opponents out of planes for sport) but it didn't feel cohesive and wasn't all that interesting to me. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 27, 2012 |

An author's love for Paraguay and its history is offered in a colorful and entertaining account described by a New York Times reviewer as a "mingling of the exotic, the dangerous and the Victorian."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Portrait of the little-known South American country.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,009,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible