The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

The Dead-Tossed Waves

by Carrie Ryan

Series: The Forest of Hands and Teeth (2)

1,1291107,260 (3.79)1 / 30

I really didn't like the first book (The Forest of Hands and Teeth) when I read it a few months ago, but I took a gamble on this one because my main problem was with the unbearably selfish protagonist and I knew the viewpoint for this novel shifted to a new character. From her name - Gabry - I thought it would be a kind of prequel from the perspective of the girl-turned-Breaker in the first book, but it's actually not. Instead we've jumped forward a generation - and Gabry's story is SO MUCH more enjoyable to read than Mary's. There's another love triangle (bleurgh), and the pervading bleakness remains, but the overall plot is more interesting and I actually found I preferred the way Ryan concentrates on looking forward instead of returning to answer questions from the first book. After all, the characters can't get answers from the past because the past is literally dead - so why should we dwell on it too much as readers? I think I'll see this series through now, find out what happens to these characters and their battle against the Mudo in the end! ( )
  elliepotten | Dec 6, 2014 |
It took me a bit to remember the last book and then figure out who was who for this one, but then I really enjoyed the new direction it went in while still holding with the original story. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Possibly my least favorite of the series. Obviously if you want to understand where book 3 starts, then you need to read this. I did find some of the characters to be extremely annoying in certain spots. Not as powerful as Book 1, and not as healing as Book 3. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
Book 2. I enjoyed it and I did definitely come back for more. We get to see a little bit of the main character from book one. But again I'm not overly fond of her. The main character here - sorry names slippping my mind....Gabry yes. She seems a bit fickle to me but I liked that she seemed to have alot of determination.

This gets a solid 4 stars from me - it made me really want to see what what happen and the end of this trilogy. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Better than the first. Yaaaaaay.
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |

Carrie Ryanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Roberta Hatch

the light on the horizon that means home

to Douglas Keith Kidd

for loving her, and all of us, so much

and to love at first sight (and Chiquita bananas)
The story goes that even after the Return they tried to keep the roller coasters going.

From Amazon: Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

Gabry lives a quiet life in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, hemmed in by the dead who hunger for the living, but her mother Mary's secrets, a cult of religious zealots who worship the dead, and a stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry threaten to destroy her world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,437,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible