The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

The Dead-Tossed Waves

by Carrie Ryan

Series: The Forest of Hands and Teeth (2)

1,066None7,834 (3.76)1 / 28

Wait for it....

I hated the first book. With a passion.

BUT, for some unknown reason, in spite of the horrible review I gave the first book in this series, I felt compelled to read the second installment. I guess I felt like there was so much *potential* in the premise of this series that I was curious to see if it would be realized. The second book was SO MUCH BETTER than the first! I actually LIKE the main character of the second novel. Also, there is a glimmer of redemption for the main character of the first novel that I hated so much. The series still has some serious issues but I now feel like it is a real possibility that this author will grow as she writes. I will most likely read book 3.

I think it should be mentioned that this is not really a sequel, more like a companion novel to The Forrest of Hands and Teeth.
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Interesting zombie book with great world building and it is full of suspense. The main character has some annoying moments, but overall it was a good read.

Opening Sentence: The story goes that even after the Return they tried to keep the roller coasters going.

The Review:

In a world where everyone has barred themselves up city to city, for survival, the main character, Gabry, slowly tests the boundaries and rules of the current civilization. An obedient and law abiding citizen, only having known security, changes in a chain reaction one night after sneaking out with friends across the borders of the city set up to keep all Mudo (zombies) from biting, infecting, and spreading the disease, get attacked by a lone Unconsecrated. The Mudo attack changes her life.

In the book, humans have given up on expansion and technology, in fact there is a huge digression. They have gone into cocoons and tried to survive in their own communities, needing to be separated from other towns and cities. This is not living as much of a life, as it should be and could be.

A cute boy gives her a first kiss, and things look like they will remain secure. Let’s get married, you hot McHottie! But, what a twist, he may not be the guy. I won’t say why, but hey, who knows. Then that other guy shows up. Yep, another guy, who may also have kisses for her that aren’t made of chocolate.

There are a lot of should’ve, would’ve, could’ve in this book. If only I hadn’t gone here, or hadn’t done this, things would have been better. The character realizes what use are experiences if we are not allowed to remember them. She didn’t want to forget her experiences, which initially drove her to cross the barrier again. The girl used to think in black and white. But throughout the book, she begins to consider the grey; that we don’t have to live in the boundaries we set up. We are to push the barriers and build a new world.

The Mudo come to life when a non infected human is nearby, thirsting, and reaching for a chance for blood, a chance to infect. They don’t think, reason, they don’t love, they don’t work, they don’t function like a human, but are not dead. She wonders if the Mudo are really monsters, or just another form of life that struggles to survive. That maybe they are different but not horrible? I don’t know, but how are we to think that we should break the barriers, when on the other side of the barrier you could become a Zombie and not live life? I still think they are monsters.

Dead Tossed Waves was a very interesting read full of suspense, romance, and zombies. Ryan did a wonderful job making me feel like I was a part of the story and the world she created was captivating. I found the main character annoying when she whined about the past and the bad decisions she made. She was also really naïve when it came to the monsters which was frustrating. The ending was satisfying and leaves you wanting to know what happens next. I listened to the audio book of this title and I enjoyed the narrator. She did a good job making the story more interesting and fun to listen too. I would recommend it to someone that is looking for a good zombie book that’s not to scary.

Notable Scene:

She looks down at her trembling hand still hovering between us. “because I didn’t want to remember,” she whispers.

Rage tears through me. “Then why are you telling me now?”

She lets her arm fall. The waves break around us; the last gasphole story.” of light loses its battle with the evening. “Because you’re right,” she says. “We are nothing more than or stories and who we love. What we pass on, how we exist…it’s having people remember who we are. We’re terrible at that in this world. At remembering. At passing it on. And it is not fair that I’m the only one who knows your whole story"

FTC Advisory: Delacorte Books for Young Readers/Random House provided me with a copy of The Dead-Tossed Waves. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Mar 15, 2014 |
I thought this was a great read & read most of it while in the waiting room on the day I had jury duty. I didn't take to Gabry as quickly as I did to Mary of the first novel in the series. I did love that we delved more into the world they inhabit & we get more information about what is going on outside of the tiny hamlets we've seen so far. This is a very strong middle story in a series & sets the scene easily for what's sure to be a great conclusion to the series. Don't miss this one. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
I really liked this book. It's a shame the lead female sucks just as bad as the last one did in The Forest of Hands and Teeth by the same author. I don't feel like writing out a full review, so here are the basics:

Writing - 4 out of 5
Clean, easy to read. Fast paced, engaging. Some sentences trip you up for a moment because of the occasional awkward wording. Otherwise, very well done and enjoyable as a read.

Setting/World - 5 out of 5
Expands and grows from the previous book, introducing new concepts as well as physically widening the extensions of the world within the story. Gives the reader much more to think about, new horrors and new hopes, as well as a much wider perspective of what the world is and lives like in this post-apocalyptic time period. Very enjoyable and also engaging.

Story - 1 out of 5
Basically the same story as the first book. Rehashed with a different[ly named] a) female lead, b) two male love interests, c) female friend that dies/disappears, d) circumstances that "forcefully" disengage character from her "life", e) circumstances that "force" main character to choose one love interest over another because other is "incapable" of being chosen, f) escape from starting location into the unknown. Same. Story. As. Last. Time.

Characters
Main Character - 1 out of 5
Self-absorbed, concerned with absolutely nothing outside of herself unless it somehow disrupts or adds to her life. Refuses to make any decisions for herself that will put her in the position of taking responsibility for her actions. Shoves all responsibility on others whenever she can. Toys with the emotions of other people yet cannot face the truth about herself when it's presented to her. Quick to accuse/judge others, yet lies to every character she meets at one point or another--usually leading to trouble and/or death. Whines, complains, never happy with her situation. Always doing something stupid that puts her--and consequently those around her--into danger, usually winding up with the others dying or being the ones injured as they protect her. Essentially: useless and annoying.

Side Characters - 2 out of 5
Carry good qualities such as loyalty, perseverance, raw emotions and the ability to face reality when it's presented to them. However, they fill roles that revolve solely around the main character. They are there only to make the main character look good or to make us feel sympathy for the main character. Side characters have no lives of their own and are quick to throw everything away for the main character--largely because they don't have much to their lives to begin with. Very two dimensional, bend to the will of the main character at all points, solely to build her up since she's lacking in the capability to provide the reader with any proof of worth or value whatsoever on her own.

Final Rating for the book is 2.5 out of 5 (rounded up to 3 for generosity).

Advice on Reading: Library this one. Don't buy it. I wouldn't have it in my collection. The characters destroy any value the world and the writing has. And the story is nonexistent due to their failure to stand up to critique. Again, not to be bought without a test run first. Collect without trying at your own risk. ( )
  N.T.Embe | Dec 31, 2013 |
Better than The Forest of Hands and Teeth but still not all that. Pleasantly surprised that it doesn't follow the standard arc of most recent trilogies, but it does seem to follow its own formula... ( )
  ScoutJ | Dec 4, 2013 |

Carrie Ryanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Roberta Hatch

the light on the horizon that means home

to Douglas Keith Kidd

for loving her, and all of us, so much

and to love at first sight (and Chiquita bananas)

From Amazon: Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

Gabry lives a quiet life in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, hemmed in by the dead who hunger for the living, but her mother Mary's secrets, a cult of religious zealots who worship the dead, and a stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry threaten to destroy her world.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,441,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible