The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

The Dead-Tossed Waves

by Carrie Ryan

Series: The Forest of Hands and Teeth (2)

1,1391127,185 (3.79)1 / 33

As good as "Forest of Hands and Teeth" I'm glad we found out what happened to Mary from the first book, but now I need to know what happens to Gabry! ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
This is the second book in a YA series set long after (or, perhaps more accurately, long into) a zombie apocalypse. Like the first book, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, it's a quick read, with some interesting (if not necessarily very well-developed) world-building details, decent enough for the kind of YA-ish thing it is. But it's also very much the kind of YA-ish thing it is, which means the writing's not exactly terribly subtle. And does every single one of these novels have to feature the same old love triangle? I do understand that this trope has a natural appeal for the intended audience of teenagers, who are, after all, working on figuring out relationships for the first time, but at this point I'd desperately love to see an apocalyptic/dystopian YA sory that focuses on platonic friendships, or a straightforward two-person romance, or polyamory, or pretty much anything other than "I thought I was meant to be with this boy, but now I want to kiss that one!"

I also have to admit, I found the protagonist of this one kind of frustrating, especially towards the beginning. She seems to have a talent for making bad decisions, frequently fumbles at crucial moments, is easily distracted by her hormones, and seems to get emotionally histrionic over everything. It's a little hard, when she's moaning to herself (as she often is) about what a pathetic screw-up she is, not to agree with her. And I feel bad about that, because, honestly, she is a completely believable, realistic teenage girl in this respect, especially given that she's gone from living kind of a sheltered life to being dropped into some very difficult situations. So I tried hard not to hold it against her, but... Well, maybe I'll blame the author, instead, for not making it quite as easy to empathize with her as it probably should have been.

Still, I'll undoubtedly continue on with the next one, since I already have it, next time I'm looking for something zombie-filled and undemanding. ( )
1 vote bragan | Jun 13, 2015 |
This book was very moving for me. I think Carrie Ryan is an amazing writer, and has a talent for expressing human weakness, doubt, and insecurity. In Mary and Gabrielle's world, these natural human emotions and thoughts are intensified. I love these characters, despite what they think of themselves, from Ryan's writing, you know that they truly are amazing, good and unique people especially in their time. It would be so easy and and almost understandable, to have the frame of mind to be truly selfish, kill or be killed, only the strong survive. Or, to hide behind the safety of the fences, not question what you're told, or think for yourself. What I took away from this book is that we are only human, no body is perfect, you do the best that you can do, learn from your mistakes and just live your life. I absolutely love these books, they are written so perfectly and are I just can't say enough about them! I will say the one thing that I did question was Catcher, and his decisions towards the end. I am looking forward to the next installment, not only because of so much left unfinished, but I am very anxious to delve back into Gabrielle's world and see what the Dark City is like! ( )
  sgcastellini | Feb 6, 2015 |
I really didn't like the first book (The Forest of Hands and Teeth) when I read it a few months ago, but I took a gamble on this one because my main problem was with the unbearably selfish protagonist and I knew the viewpoint for this novel shifted to a new character. From her name - Gabry - I thought it would be a kind of prequel from the perspective of the girl-turned-Breaker in the first book, but it's actually not. Instead we've jumped forward a generation - and Gabry's story is SO MUCH more enjoyable to read than Mary's. There's another love triangle (bleurgh), and the pervading bleakness remains, but the overall plot is more interesting and I actually found I preferred the way Ryan concentrates on looking forward instead of returning to answer questions from the first book. After all, the characters can't get answers from the past because the past is literally dead - so why should we dwell on it too much as readers? I think I'll see this series through now, find out what happens to these characters and their battle against the Mudo in the end! ( )
  elliepotten | Dec 6, 2014 |
It took me a bit to remember the last book and then figure out who was who for this one, but then I really enjoyed the new direction it went in while still holding with the original story. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

Carrie Ryanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Roberta Hatch

the light on the horizon that means home

to Douglas Keith Kidd

for loving her, and all of us, so much

and to love at first sight (and Chiquita bananas)
The story goes that even after the Return they tried to keep the roller coasters going.

From Amazon: Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

Gabry lives a quiet life in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, hemmed in by the dead who hunger for the living, but her mother Mary's secrets, a cult of religious zealots who worship the dead, and a stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry threaten to destroy her world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,044,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible