The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and…

The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth, Book 2) (edition 2010)

by Carrie Ryan

1,2311296,459 (3.77)1 / 34
Member:Bookswithbite
Title:The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth, Book 2)
Authors:Carrie Ryan
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

I read this book in a day and a half! I almost never do that. It kept me turning pages and was so much better than the first one. ( )
  Krild13 | Jun 10, 2016 |
An excellent follow-up to The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I really enjoyed this book.

*I'm not really sure if my next statement is a spoiler or not, but it might be a little bit so don't read on if you don't like spoilers.*

I wasn't too keen on the love triangle, though, as it was something that the main character in the first book went through as well. 'Which boy will I pick' seems like the least of one's problems when one is trying to survive a zombie apocalypse. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
I love the writing in this book and I love the world that she has created.I also like the fact that both in this book and [b:The Forest of Hands and Teeth|3432478|The Forest of Hands and Teeth|Carrie Ryan|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41q8PcJO1mL._SL75_.jpg|3473471] that she didn't make all the uninfected people good, she had them doing horrible things and enjoying it.
However I have the same problem with this book as I had with the last, the central character is annoying although given that she is the daughter of the central character in the first book then it is understandable. She is so whiny and pathetic, she also thinks she is responsible for every bad decision any of the other characters make. The last time I read this much teenage angst it was in Twilight and New Moon, and as with Bella I just want to give Gabry a good hard slap. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
I am at loss as to where to begin to write this review.

First, Carrie Ryan has done a great job in creating this world. Most of the characters are really interesting, but the angst that takes over for the female leads becomes extremely draining. No, really, the fact that the earth revolves around the sun is really NOT your fault. Yes, an exaggeration, but you must get where I'm going.

I found too much commonality between book one and book two. There was a lot of needless repetittion. Mary's brother has been entirely forgotten?

Again, there was a triangle.

Also, Gabry's lack of angst for people she was doing away with struck me as very wrong, shallow. Now would have been the time to take some blame.

Maybe writers should be trying to write a single really good book than these trilogies. Carrie Ryan has created a fascinating world, but the repetition makes you think that this could have been one really good novel instead of mediocre ones. I am on to the third and hope to be dazzled.
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Soooooo good ... Team Elias ... I know that for sure now. Picking up the next one today at work ... Can't wait. Great writing and a great story. GG Carrie Ryan GG ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |

Carrie Ryanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Roberta Hatch

the light on the horizon that means home

to Douglas Keith Kidd

for loving her, and all of us, so much

and to love at first sight (and Chiquita bananas)
The story goes that even after the Return they tried to keep the roller coasters going.

From Amazon: Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

Gabry lives a quiet life in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, hemmed in by the dead who hunger for the living, but her mother Mary's secrets, a cult of religious zealots who worship the dead, and a stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry threaten to destroy her world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,641,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible