The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and…

The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth, Book 2) (edition 2010)

by Carrie Ryan

1,2141266,570 (3.76)1 / 34
Member:Bookswithbite
Title:The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth, Book 2)
Authors:Carrie Ryan
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

I am at loss as to where to begin to write this review.

First, Carrie Ryan has done a great job in creating this world. Most of the characters are really interesting, but the angst that takes over for the female leads becomes extremely draining. No, really, the fact that the earth revolves around the sun is really NOT your fault. Yes, an exaggeration, but you must get where I'm going.

I found too much commonality between book one and book two. There was a lot of needless repetittion. Mary's brother has been entirely forgotten?

Again, there was a triangle.

Also, Gabry's lack of angst for people she was doing away with struck me as very wrong, shallow. Now would have been the time to take some blame.

Maybe writers should be trying to write a single really good book than these trilogies. Carrie Ryan has created a fascinating world, but the repetition makes you think that this could have been one really good novel instead of mediocre ones. I am on to the third and hope to be dazzled.
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Soooooo good ... Team Elias ... I know that for sure now. Picking up the next one today at work ... Can't wait. Great writing and a great story. GG Carrie Ryan GG ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
This reviews sums it all and is a better read!

Michael's review and version of this book

As I already noticed (duh you can't help noticing)
Well what annoyed me in book 1 was the constant over the top emotions that Mary had.

I can tell you her daughter is even worse. "I love him, Nooo do not touch me! I hate him, He ignores me. Go away. I want you! I want to touch him.

Here is a note I highlighted from my kindle.

On page 188 all she thinks about is Catcher. She says about Elliott. "But I don't care about him anymore! All I can feel is my heart singing. He is okay. Catcher is going to live!!

Then 4 little kindle pages later: page 192:

About Elliot: I cross my arms over my chest, to avoid the temptation of touching him as much as to hold myself in.

Well this is a little example but this is how the book is like. Such an annoying main character who while busy trying to escape has so over the top reactions and feelings, that constantly must be told to us.

Too bad cause the story in itself is quite interesting, but I do not think I can take another narrator like Mary and Gabry.

Stop with the series where the main characters are whining teens.

I will give it 2 stars because the story idea was good and I think if the author would stop or at least, (Can't find the English word!),make the main characters a little bit more controlled. Stop with all the out of control emotions, she can be a great writer. There were parts that were really good. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
It's a generation after [b:The Forest of Hands and Teeth|3432478|The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1)|Carrie Ryan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320633297s/3432478.jpg|3473471], and Mary's daughter Gabry is now a teenager herself. Mary was frustratingly focused on her own romantic entanglements in the last book--but somehow, Gabry is so.much.worse. Every single chapter, she manages to make an even stupider decision based on absolutely nothing but her desire for some random dude. Not only is she incapable of complex thought, but she's continually freezing in fear or stumbling and falling. For example: Her True Love is dying of a zombie bite beyond the fence. Gabry risks her life to visit him one last time. She freezes up when she sees the zombies, then falls down and is only saved by some hot stranger. She leaves him behind and visits her True Love. Although she knows he's dying, she refuses to kill him, even though that would prevent him from rising as a zombie. Then she asks the hot stranger to help her return in a few days so she can visit him *again*. Apparently enthralled by her (for what? her impressive combat skills, courage, or smarts?), Hot Stranger agrees. So a few days later, Gabry once again climbs over the fence, once again freezes and falls over when confronted by a zombie, and is once again saved by the Hot Stranger. And the worst part is? She does all this even though she's supposed to be at the beach right then, clubbing zombies. She's literally the town's only defense against the zombies washing up from the ocean, and she chooses to go wandering in the woods (TWICE) at the exact time of day that they wash up, without warning anyone or thinking that perhaps she should choose a different time to go mooning at her True Love. And what a surprise, her absence means the town is overrun with zombies. SO DUMB OMG OMG. Repeat this kind of dumb, cowardly, selfish decision making over and over. By the end, I just wanted Gabry dead.

I was excited by the series concept and the first few chapters of the first book--Ryan certainly knows how to write horror--but the characters are just too awful to read. I think I'll skip the third one. At the rate Ryan's heroines are going, the third girl will just lie down and cry the first time she sees a zombie. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Amazing, action packed, mysterious, romantic, emotional turmoil, death/love, this book has it all. It starts off with Gaby the small girl found on the trail in The Forrest of Hands and Teeth, she's nearly grown up. Her life is thrown into a non-ending hellish rollar-coaster ride after one innocent mistake. The story breaks your heart, makes you sweat and has you cheering. Fantastic writing, I couldn't put it down. Warning cliffhanger ending ! Can't wait for the next book. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Carrie Ryanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Roberta Hatch

the light on the horizon that means home

to Douglas Keith Kidd

for loving her, and all of us, so much

and to love at first sight (and Chiquita bananas)
The story goes that even after the Return they tried to keep the roller coasters going.

From Amazon: Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

Gabry lives a quiet life in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, hemmed in by the dead who hunger for the living, but her mother Mary's secrets, a cult of religious zealots who worship the dead, and a stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry threaten to destroy her world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,816,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible