All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab

All Unquiet Things

by Anna Jarzab

187None63,003 (3.84)6

I had a hard time with the alternating points of view. There was times I would be reading, and I would forget if I was reading from Audrey's or Neily's point of view. The mystery of the plot is one to keep you guessing until the last moment. The story is about how keeping secrets leads to terrible events. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Apr 22, 2013 |
The Short of It

Secrets lead to death; mystery unsolved.

The Long of It

Neily first met Carly in middle school. It was his first day interviewing for a very elite and academically challenging program. Carly made him feel at home and they were immediately inseparable. Until Carly decided that she needed a change, years later, and dumped Neily to hang out with her cousin Audrey and the “in” crowd.

Then, one night Carly calls Neily repetitively. He refuses to answer the phone, still pretty pissed about the breakup. Those are phone calls that Neily will beat himself up over for not answering. Carly ends up dead. Murdered.

The police convict Audrey’s father for the murder, but Aurdrey doesn’t believe it. A year later, she enlists Neily to delve deep into the lies and scandals of the in-crowd to prove her father’s innocence and find closure.

The Thoughts about It

All Things Unquiet is told in alternating voices of Neily and Audrey. I found this a bit distracting because the chapters are miniature-sized, but rather we’re inside Neily’s mind, for say, a hundred or so pages and then all of a sudden we step into Audrey’s for twenty or thirty and then back to Neily. (1) By the time I got to Audrey it felt forced and unnatural.

Besides that one gripe, though, the mystery was GREAT. It really had me guessing up until the last page. And then, when it was finally revealed, I was like “OMG, OF COURSE!”. Seriously. I don’t read enough mysteries to suggest that this is the end-all-be-all, but it was misleading, so that’s gotta mean something right?

(1) This is a loose estimation. I could easily pull the book off of the bookshelf for an accurate and precise number, but I’m just that lazy and refuse. *grin* ( )
  readingthruthenight | Aug 28, 2011 |
I don't know how long its been since I've read a good mystery, and I think I had never read a YA murder-mystery before. I absolutely adored this book. The ironic part is I was so sure I had everything figured out. I would totally starve as a detective. The ending shocked me and left me in awe. I was so unprepared of what happened. I believed throughout the whole story and convinced myself that I knew what was going on because there was no way to surprise me with such an obvious plot. Silly me. Should have known better. This book deserves far more praise than what it has gotten.

The writing was incredible. The alternating points of view felt smooth and believable, I love the way she did it. And the characters felt incredibly realistic. The plot was slow-moving, which is also ironic because in one of my last reviews I stated that a slow plot is not always a bad thing. Here is the proof. The pace worked perfectly in this one. I was sometimes desperate, almost willing to step ahead to find out the truth, but that always happens in a mystery.

Overall, it was definitely refreshing to read something different yet still made of awesome. If you enjoy crime stories and contemporary realistic fiction this is the one for you. ( )
  YABliss | Jun 21, 2011 |
Carly has been murderd about a year ago and the murder still haunts her exboyfriend.He wants to find out who killed her once and for all.So does her cousin so they team up and try to find out who killed her and you sure will be surprised who did. ( )
  ShRa9 | Feb 14, 2011 |
Much more intense than I expected it to be! This looked like it was going to be a generic spoiled-rich-kid mystery, and I’m glad I gave it a chance instead of writing it off. ( )
  twonickels | Nov 12, 2010 |
For my parents, in memory of Audrey Richier
It was the end of summer, when hills were bone dry and brown; the sun beating down and shimmering up off the pavement was enough to give you heatstoke.

After the death of his ex-girlfriend Carly, northern California high school student Neily joins forces with Carly's cousin Audrey to try to solve her murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible