Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Demonglass

by Rachel Hawkins

Series: Hex Hall (2)

1,07712011,384 (4.14)38
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books involve a romance that shouldn't be allowed to happen; where the person the main character falls for is "the enemy" and someone to be avoided. They are also both series. Read Hex Hall before you read Demonglass though, since Demonglass is book two in the series.… (more)

English (118)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (120)
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on October 5, 2012.

A few days ago, I posted my review of Hex Hall. Let me just say that Demonglass is just as good. I was so involved in the story that I didn't quite see all the twists and turns that come up in this book, so I was nicely surprised there.

There is a love triangle, but to be honest I really kind of enjoy this one. I know that I've said in the past that some love triangles are horrible, but this one is really well done. The dynamics that Sophie has with each of the guys are really different, so they're easy to differentiate, and she really has different feelings for each one. It's kind of a forced love triangle in a way since Cal is betrothed to her, but it still works well. I feel for Cal, he's so nice and it's clear that he cares for her a lot, so it's a shame that she doesn't feel the same way. Although judging by some actions toward the end of the book this may change, it'll be interesting to see what happens between them in the next book.

There's a lot of action in this book, and a lot more magic and spells. A lot more dark magic, of course, now that Sophie knows she's a demon. There's cool teleportation, Sophie's bound to a ghost, people are trying to kill her, it really is jam packed. But, the laugh out loud humor is still there, which is awesome. I loved it in the last book and I loved it in this one too.

The progression of the relationship between Sophie and her father is really great to watch too. At first, she's unsure, and doesn't trust him. I wouldn't either, if he'd been gone from my life for 17 years. But then as she starts to trust him a little more, she grows to care for him. It's clear that she wants to make him proud, and that she recognizes that he has a lot that he can teach her.

The story leaves you wanting so much more. I don't want to put in any spoilers but let me just say that I'm so disappointed that my library doesn't have the third book, I'll have to get it ASAP so that I can find out what happens. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
When Sophie Mercer was sent to monster school she had no idea what she would get into. She never thought she'd be best friends with a vampire who may or may not be killing off the school's mean girls, be haunted by a ghost who is actually her dead grandmother, or fall in love with the "pretty" boy of the school. But she did. Then a bomb was dropped on Sophie. She's a demon. And then she drops a bomb on everybody else. She wants to go through the Removal where she can get all her powers and demoness removed but the cost could be her life.

Now I'm sure you're wondering what happened with all of that. Well 6 months later she's still at Hex Hall after declaring she wanted to go through the removal. Her mom is there with Cal which sounds strange writing it now but didn't sound strange reading it so there must have been some sort of arrangement where he moved.... whatever. Her father comes to get her and she spends the summer at Thorne Abbey with...... Jenna and Cal! Yes, my friends Jenna is there. And Cal you know is just there to add to the whole love triangle thing. Hawkins sends you another of one those *gasp* moments with those two.

There are another two people thrown into the mix and they happen to be demons. "Wait. What?" you ask. "Demons are being raised?" *knowing smile*. Bwahahaha!!! Well Nick and Daisy are a strange bunch. Daisy is quiet until it's just them. The adults are just way too happy in Thorne Abbey. Creepily so. Nick is a bit wilder and you know it just by looking at him. And then of course there is the thing about Archer being in London....

So much better than the first! The other one wasn't bad at all but it even got better! The second book usually is eh compared to the first or an utter disappointed making you cry out and rant maniacally how horrible the author is and why? Why would they do this to you!? But Demonglass exceeded my expectations. My mind was blown more than once. The secrecy underneath... and then the Cal and Archer situation. I still can't decide! So many exclamation points....

Sophie again was her same sarcastic self which I am very happy about. She was what made me love Hex Hall from the beginning so I'm happy she didn't change much. She kind of grew up from the last book. She has more confidence. As you can tell from the difference in the two lovely book covers. The end is so evil! Like that's it and then I sob from wanting more. Nevertheless it was a great ending that has kept my mind occupied with different scenarios and hopefully there won't be any betrayals but I have a bad feeling that there will be which will make me rant and curse Hawkins! You know. The old standby. So you know I'm expecting Spell bound to be just as great if not better than Demonglass.

http://shesgotbooksonhermind.blogspot.com/ ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
A very nice, engaging sequel. I'm still not sure in what order I'd rank the books of the series in so I can't really say for sure here. I read them all pretty quickly and they sort of all just blend together as one, big action packed story to me. I give it a four out of five stars! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
So fun! It was a great continuation to the series and I loved it! ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |

I posted this statement on various websites when it happened, but when a book causes me to swear vehemently at it for the last half, and then force me after finishing it to lay facedown on my bed saying: Ican’tican’tican’tican’t over and over again. That is a sure sign that it is a great book.
I was actually a little bit worried about this one at the beginning, mostly because I was worried that it would succumb to the trilogy problem of the second book. This book also introduces something of a love triangle so I was really worried about that as well (1. Because I don’t really like love triangles much, and 2. Having the love triangle introduced in the second book is an interesting tactic that I wasn’t sure would actually work.)
I can assure you, however, that this book does not disappoint. In fact, in some ways it’s better.
This book takes place in England, away from Hex Hall. Sophie, Jenna and Cal are taken by Sophie’s father to England. Mostly to keep Sophie safe over the summer, but there are other reasons as well.
Like I said before, something of a love triangle is introduced in this book. Except, it’s kind of not. Like, in Prodigium society witches and warlocks are betrothed, except they don’t necessarily have to go through with those betrothals if they don’t want to. So, yes, Cal and Sophie are betrothed. Except she’s not really interested and aside from a few sweet moments they share, it’s pretty obvious she’s still in love with Archer - the warlock who works for the anti-Prodigium group.
Which is good. Because I adore Archer. Really I do. In a lot of recent YA books, the bad boy type is attempted and fails miserably. But Archer does a pretty good job of it (he also is a toned down version of the evil!boyfriend trope. And we all know how much I adore that trope). He doesn’t make as many appearances in this book as in the previous one, but when he is in the story it’s pretty great.
In essence, Sophie is taken to the current Council headquarters in England, were she meets two other demon kids - Nick and Daisy (oh, Nick. I couldn’t help comparing him to Nick Ryves, my dear favourite demon/human from The Demon’s Lexicon.) She was under the impression that her family were the only ones who were actually demons, but then she meets these kids. Her father then explains to her that Nick and Daisy were created much like Sophie’s ancestor, Alice, and he was searching for a way to reverse the process.
Now, ok, I was a bit put out - I guess - about the fact that Sophie gets along so well with her absentee father. I mean, I’m not entirely sure that it would work like that. I didn’t mind that she got along really well with him, because I thought he was a great character. I guess I just wanted a little more teenage abandonment angst. Then again, Sophie isn’t an angsty character so I guess that does explain that.
During the course of the summer, though, Sophie (with the help of Archer) discovers a plot that could prove even more dangerous to the Prodigium than both their current enemies combined.
Then, I mean, just as a note I spent the entire last 50 pages swearing at the pages. Because the ending is AMAZING. I really like the pacing of these books. The endings are just complete rushes of action and it’s great. I also wasn’t expecting the end at all so that was just great.
Also Rachel Hawkins is one of us (the infected few who watched Hex and spawned these kinds of novels) so, basically, she’s the greatest and I really would like to meet her. To sob about Hex, mostly. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
For John, who said, "You know what this book needs? More fire. And maybe some swords" This one time, honey, you were right.
At a normal high school, having class outside on a gorgeous May day is usually pretty awesome.

Sophie Mercer's first term at Hex Hall turned out to be quite eventful. First the ghost of her evil grandmother haunted her every move, then her best friend was accused of murder and of course there was the discovery that Archer Cross, aka the boy of her dreams, was actually an undercover demon hunter - which would probably be something she could have worked on, if she hadn't also discovered that she was actually the demon Archer was hunting...So, despite their issues, Sophie is actually relieved to be spending the summer in London with her father. But when your father is Head of The Council of Prodigium and your summer is being spent at the headquarters of everything magical, then a quiet holiday isn't really that likely. And, as Sophie struggles to come to terms with her new found demon powers, she finds herself thrust once again into a world of dark magic and conspiracies. The only thing that could possibly make things more complicated would be for Archer Cross to show up again, which of course he wouldn't, would he?

After learning that she is capable of dangerous magic, Sophie Mercer goes to England with her father, friend Jenna, and Cal hoping to have her powers removed, but soon she learns that she is being hunted by the Eye--and haunted by Elodie.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,833,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible