Demonglass (A Hex Hall Novel) by Rachel…

Demonglass (A Hex Hall Novel) (edition 2012)

by Rachel Hawkins

Series: Hex Hall (2)

Member:vzuloaga
Title:Demonglass (A Hex Hall Novel)
Authors:Rachel Hawkins
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Evernight by Claudia Gray (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books involve a romance that shouldn't be allowed to happen; where the person the main character falls for is "the enemy" and someone to be avoided. They are also both series. Read Hex Hall before you read Demonglass though, since Demonglass is book two in the series.… (more)

English (114)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (116)

Similar to [b:Hex Hall|5287473|Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)|Rachel Hawkins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1368393885s/5287473.jpg|5354884], this book was fun and a light read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I didn't feel like there was any significant character development, there was some growth in the characters, particularly Cal (or maybe it was because he actually talked?!). ( )
  Makkiah | May 19, 2016 |
I'm thinking I should have had Spellbound ready to go immediately. The end of this book was total "WTFery," in the words of Liz.

Sophie can't seem to stay away from trouble. It finds her everywhere, even on another continent. It's great seeing her dad. They are a lot alike. Some secrets are let out regarding Cal. He's such a sweet guy, but it seems like he's too sweet sometimes. I think Sophie needs to pay attentions to his actions because there may be something between them......

Then we have Archer. I still haven't decided how I feel about him. He's charming and witty, except he works for the friggin' Eye. I guess 1st crushes are hard to get over. Still, you have to wonder what was real and what wasn't. It's hard to trust someone that betrayed you.

Nick and Daisy are freaky little demons, literally. I don't get good vibes off them, and didn't the entire times. I spent half the time wanting to punch Nick for being a total jerk to Sophie.

Jenna and Sophie's friendship is tested a few times. But what good is a BFF without fights every once in a while. They do learn a few things about the other. Things they lie to themselves about.

I will be reading Spellbound soon because I have to know what the crap is going on. Secrets from the Council are spilled, but there are some things I'm still not certain of, and I want to know the answers. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I loved it! Good suspensful ending! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Sophie now knows that she isn't a witch but a demon. After her confrontation with Alice, she has decided to go through the Removal but she can't until she spends the summer with her father, and head of The Council, in London.
A summer with her father is the last thing she wants but with her best friend by her side, she agrees, if only because her father can prevent her from going through the Removal and he has promised her that if by the end of the summer she still wants to go through with the removal, he will let her.
Only, once she arrives where they will be staying, she discovers that two of her new housemates are demons too. Someone is creating demons and their reasons cannot be good. Can Sophie discover who is behind raising the demons before a war breaks out?
I enjoyed this novel. It was chop full of suspense, action, adventure, and, of course, drama. I do not usually like drama, at least the high school variety, I'm not sure why, just not usually my thing, other drama, sure through it my way, however, despite there being rather a lot of it in this novel this book was still very enjoyable.
My main complaint would have to be the obliviousness of the main character, Sophie. However, given that this book is a teen fiction and it takes place in a high school, more or less, I cannot really say that it is truly a negative to the book. After all, I knew it was a high school book, it says so, so it was what I expected.
All in all, the book is well written and the characters are very believable and realistic, all magic aside, and the plot was very enticing and action packed.
I would recommend this book to anyone who can stomach high school drama and who enjoys coming of age, witchy, stories. I highly anticipate the third book in the series. ( )
  Stephergiggles | Feb 14, 2016 |
This book didn't have the same "cute" feeling that Hex Hall did. I still liked it but it was much more action oriented. Sophie is still flawless though! ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
For John, who said, "You know what this book needs? More fire. And maybe some swords" This one time, honey, you were right.
At a normal high school, having class outside on a gorgeous May day is usually pretty awesome.

Sophie Mercer's first term at Hex Hall turned out to be quite eventful. First the ghost of her evil grandmother haunted her every move, then her best friend was accused of murder and of course there was the discovery that Archer Cross, aka the boy of her dreams, was actually an undercover demon hunter - which would probably be something she could have worked on, if she hadn't also discovered that she was actually the demon Archer was hunting...So, despite their issues, Sophie is actually relieved to be spending the summer in London with her father. But when your father is Head of The Council of Prodigium and your summer is being spent at the headquarters of everything magical, then a quiet holiday isn't really that likely. And, as Sophie struggles to come to terms with her new found demon powers, she finds herself thrust once again into a world of dark magic and conspiracies. The only thing that could possibly make things more complicated would be for Archer Cross to show up again, which of course he wouldn't, would he?

After learning that she is capable of dangerous magic, Sophie Mercer goes to England with her father, friend Jenna, and Cal hoping to have her powers removed, but soon she learns that she is being hunted by the Eye--and haunted by Elodie.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,477,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible