Raising demons by Rachel Hawkins

Raising demons (edition 2011)

by Rachel Hawkins (Author)

Series: Hex Hall (2)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Raising demons
Authors:Rachel Hawkins (Author)
Info:London : Simon and Schuster, 2011.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, read, 2013, library, ll, january, paranormal, witch, demon, werewolf, vampire

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Evernight by Claudia Gray (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books involve a romance that shouldn't be allowed to happen; where the person the main character falls for is "the enemy" and someone to be avoided. They are also both series. Read Hex Hall before you read Demonglass though, since Demonglass is book two in the series.… (more)

English (100)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (102)
A fun and quick read. Demonglass suffers a little number two syndrome- clearly a bridge between book one and book three of a trilogy, I didn't feel like anything was resolved and it was a little frustrating to end on such a cliffhanger. Quite a few new characters introduced, but we don't get to know them completely. Regardless, it has been years since I read Hex Hall, and it was no problem diving back into Sophie's world, and good thing I waited- now I have Spellbound to start reading immediately! ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
Ok. To be honest I wanted to lower the rating on this book because of the serious cliffhanger. In my opinion cliffhangers are like the authors being lazy, they don't want to spend the time to wrap up the book before the next book so they will just chop it off and leave it be. I HATE CLIFFHANGERS! That being said, I don't think Rachel Hawkins is lazy, she is a lovely women and writer but I just really really hate cliffhangers.

Now that you know this book ends on a serious cliffhanger I will say the book is excellently written and keeps you on your feet through the entire book. I found it a tab bit predictable because I knew who the "bad guys" were from the beginning, I could just feel it. I still enjoyed getting to the reveal though. I hate this type of villain most though because they believe what they are doing is right when in essence it's not. The self diluted or something seem to just be excellent villains.

The plot is smooth and easy to read. The characters are complicated and remain basically unchanged. I heart Cal, I am on Team Cal, I wish Sophie would just be with him, he is hot and awesome. Give up on Archer and just be with him. On that note, Team Archer's will be happy about this book, we see him here and there through the whole thing. *eye roll*.

Merged review:

Excellent book, BESIDES THE CLIFFHANGER, and of course I will read the next one, I have no flipping choice. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Much more exciting than part 1. Full of non-stop action, two loves, despair, agony and all the stuff that create teen angst, with a dash of magic. An excellent read. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Cal. Freaking Cal is too cute. I would have want him for myself if he was real. It's just sad that the girl in books always(maybe not) fell for the guys that challenges, thrills and endangers them. Why do they always chose bad-ass boys?

But whatever. Archer isn't that bad. I think something happened in the past for him to be able to join the Eye. I think it's a set-up or something. And okay, he is cute, too. (Do I even find ugly boys in books? No.)

Going to read the next book :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Going to read the next book :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
For John, who said, "You know what this book needs? More fire. And maybe some swords" This one time, honey, you were right.
At a normal high school, having class outside on a gorgeous May day is usually pretty awesome.

Sophie Mercer's first term at Hex Hall turned out to be quite eventful. First the ghost of her evil grandmother haunted her every move, then her best friend was accused of murder and of course there was the discovery that Archer Cross, aka the boy of her dreams, was actually an undercover demon hunter - which would probably be something she could have worked on, if she hadn't also discovered that she was actually the demon Archer was hunting...So, despite their issues, Sophie is actually relieved to be spending the summer in London with her father. But when your father is Head of The Council of Prodigium and your summer is being spent at the headquarters of everything magical, then a quiet holiday isn't really that likely. And, as Sophie struggles to come to terms with her new found demon powers, she finds herself thrust once again into a world of dark magic and conspiracies. The only thing that could possibly make things more complicated would be for Archer Cross to show up again, which of course he wouldn't, would he?

After learning that she is capable of dangerous magic, Sophie Mercer goes to England with her father, friend Jenna, and Cal hoping to have her powers removed, but soon she learns that she is being hunted by the Eye--and haunted by Elodie.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,912,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible