Raising demons by Rachel Hawkins

Raising demons (edition 2011)

by Rachel Hawkins (Author)

Series: Hex Hall (2)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Raising demons
Authors:Rachel Hawkins (Author)
Info:London : Simon and Schuster, 2011.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, read, 2013, library, ll, january, paranormal, witch, demon, werewolf, vampire

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Evernight by Claudia Gray (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books involve a romance that shouldn't be allowed to happen; where the person the main character falls for is "the enemy" and someone to be avoided. They are also both series. Read Hex Hall before you read Demonglass though, since Demonglass is book two in the series.… (more)

English (99)  Italian (1)  All languages (100)
Cal. Freaking Cal is too cute. I would have want him for myself if he was real. It's just sad that the girl in books always(maybe not) fell for the guys that challenges, thrills and endangers them. Why do they always chose bad-ass boys?

But whatever. Archer isn't that bad. I think something happened in the past for him to be able to join the Eye. I think it's a set-up or something. And okay, he is cute, too. (Do I even find ugly boys in books? No.)

Going to read the next book :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Going to read the next book :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins is the sequel to Hex Hall. Sophie has gone to England to have the Council remove her powers. Doing so, means, being with her estranged father.

Cal and Archer are there too, to be the trilogy's love triangle. While Archer is the sexy, bad boy, Cal is the quietly, loyal type. Frankly, they're both wrong for her and potentially dangerous to Sophie and the Council.

While Sophie is adjusting to life in the English countryside, she learns more about the battle brewing. She also learns that she's not alone and that fact opens up a can of worms.

Although I'm not the target audience, I did thoroughly enjoy the second book. Although there's a love triangle, the book mostly avoids the usual pitfalls of these paranormal YA novels. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 26, 2014 |
Things are getting interesting for Sophie Mercer! She's learned her true nature, the boy she loves has been banned because he's evil, and she finds out she's engaged to someone else! The first book in this series, [b:Hex Hall|5287473|Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)|Rachel Hawkins|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1259686913s/5287473.jpg|5354884], was pretty good...but [b:Demonglass|7862667|Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)|Rachel Hawkins|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1287677907s/7862667.jpg|11015791] was better! More conflict, great love triangle goodness, and the ending was just good enough to make me come back for more without gnashing my teeth at the long wait. Awesome job, [a:Rachel Hawkins|2261547|Rachel Hawkins|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66.jpg]! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book more than the first, and I think it did a great job building on the first one. The plot was clearly planed out in advanced and it shows! It still had a lot of corny lines thrown around and some of the character reactions were a little unbelievable. The one that really bothered me was Sophie's reaction to her absentee dad's return to her life. I highly doubt that a teen who's deadbeat dad never had the time of day for her would welcome him so readily and completely. I also had some issues with the Sophie/Archer/Cal mess. I found Cal to be a much more defined character than Archer, and wish there had been more about him. Overall it was a great sequel. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
For John, who said, "You know what this book needs? More fire. And maybe some swords" This one time, honey, you were right.
At a normal high school, having class outside on a gorgeous May day is usually pretty awesome.

Sophie Mercer's first term at Hex Hall turned out to be quite eventful. First the ghost of her evil grandmother haunted her every move, then her best friend was accused of murder and of course there was the discovery that Archer Cross, aka the boy of her dreams, was actually an undercover demon hunter - which would probably be something she could have worked on, if she hadn't also discovered that she was actually the demon Archer was hunting...So, despite their issues, Sophie is actually relieved to be spending the summer in London with her father. But when your father is Head of The Council of Prodigium and your summer is being spent at the headquarters of everything magical, then a quiet holiday isn't really that likely. And, as Sophie struggles to come to terms with her new found demon powers, she finds herself thrust once again into a world of dark magic and conspiracies. The only thing that could possibly make things more complicated would be for Archer Cross to show up again, which of course he wouldn't, would he?

After learning that she is capable of dangerous magic, Sophie Mercer goes to England with her father, friend Jenna, and Cal hoping to have her powers removed, but soon she learns that she is being hunted by the Eye--and haunted by Elodie.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,664,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible