Spellbinder by Helen Stringer

Member:prkcs
Title:Spellbinder
Authors:Helen Stringer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2009), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:girl, fantasy, ghosts, magic, doors, school, families, grade 5, grade 6, sh

Spellbinder by Helen Stringer

Not tremendously well written or well edited, but the ideas, like a girl living with the ghosts of her dead parents, are so interesting that they are keeping me wanting to know more. I'm more than half-way through now, and I'm still really interested. Odd things keep happening, and I can't see where the story is going, and I like that! ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Mar 1, 2014 |
Everyone at school feels sorry for weird Belladonna Johnson. Her parents were killed in a tragic car accident last year and she lives with her grandmother. At least, that's what they think. Actually, Belladonna's inherited power to see ghosts kicked in right after the funeral - and she lives with her parents, same as always....except for the drifting through walls thing. Belladonna is terrified that someday she'll start talking to someone, realize they're a ghost and no one else can see them, and be forever branded as the ultimate school weirdo.

But suddenly that's no longer a problem: all the ghosts are disappearing. With the help of Steve, an incipient juvenile delinquent, Elsie, an old school ghost, and her own mysterious and unexpected powers, Belladonna must try to save the ghosts - and the worlds of the Living and the Dead.

This was a fast-paced, enjoyable adventure fantasy with plenty of humor. It has lots of little British "bits" slang and little cultural things for anglophiles to enjoy. While in some ways it's fairly predictable; female outcast becomes powerful sorceress heroine, amiable but apparently useless boy becomes warrior hero, etc. etc., the writing is seamless and Stringer easily blends two separate and familiar plots, the classic fantasy quest journey and the newer paranormal abilities theme, into a fun adventure. The ending felt a little hurried, with the sudden introduction of various powerful goddess-type characters like the Nomials, but it fit in with Belladonna's relatives never telling her anything. There were a lot of loose ends, like Aunt Dierdre's involvement with the Hunt, Steve's mother - what's going on there? but presumably they'll be addressed in the next book.

Verdict: Recommended for fans of Harry Potter and the many new ghost books coming out.

Some favorite funny bits, mostly about Steve.

"Steve took it all in stride with a 'this-too-shall-pass" attitude that made it all but impossible for anyone to motivate him to do anything at all."

"'Considering how often you're in trouble, I would've expected you to put up a better show,' said Belladonna, walking away. 'There's not usually any point,' explained Steve. 'I reckon it's better to just fess up, take whatever they're dishing out, and get on with things. Explanations usually just extend the agony.' 'Oh, well,' said Belladonna sarcastically, 'at least you've thought about it.'"

"Just....you know, minor infractions."
There was silence for a moment, then the braziers flared up, the orange flame turning red.
"Such as the explosives on Mr. Morris's shoes?" boomed the voice.
"Or the spiders in Philip Jones's desk? Or the treacle in Sophie Warren's shoes? Or the mass release of the lab mice?"
Steve began to smile in happy recollection as his greatest hits were recited.

ISBN: 0312387636; Published September 2009 by Feiwel and Friends; ARC provided by publisher at ALA; Purchased for the library; Added to my personal wishlist
  JeanLittleLibrary | Dec 30, 2011 |
This book is about a girl named Belladonna and she could see ghosts. She did not care for this power. Be until she finds out all ghosts have vanised plus her parents. She and her new friend steve and her ghost friend Eli go on an eventer to go find the ghosts. But on the way the nice friendly man who helped them Ach was up to it all. Now with the amulit and Belladonnas friends they go to defet Ach. with all Belladonna's power she said the words of power and stoped Ach. Belladonna reilized that her power isvery importent to her life and most of all ghosts.

I gave this book a five star because it kept me on my toes. Thinking what will happen nexted. And when it something great happens my heart stars beating fast and I read faster. And when it's over I feel like I had just ran. This was so intertaning. I was heart brocken when it ended. I wish it could go on with the story. I wish the book could never end. ( )
  Alexis.Goodro | Oct 12, 2011 |
I bought this book a few months after I received the second book of the series. I found the second book interesting but I could not bring myself to read the two books out of order.

I did not really understand that the book was set in England when I was first reading the book. There is nothing beside some odd wording to give it away. The point that I realized that they were not in America was when it only took three hours to drive to her house from London. Impossible otherwise. At this point I seemed to magically notice that Belladonna was calling her mother mum. I wish it had been a little more obvious.

The only reason the plot goes anywhere is because Belladonna knows nothing. Absolutely nothing. Her parents don't even tell her why her family can see ghosts and what bugged me the most is that Belladonna just accepts it. She has no desire to find out the truth. In fact if it was up to her she would tell everything that she knew to the adults and then take a nice vacation underneath her bed so that no one would be able to make her do anything interesting. Too bad that the adults are doing a worse job than her at fixing the problem.

They do such a bad job that whenever Belladonna has information that would be vital to their investigation they ignore her. In fact I don't think that a single adult, including the ones related to her, felt anything with out a dash of annoyance. What kind of aunt can't even stop to listen to their niece? A very bad one. Aunts are supposed to be the ones who listen to you when other adults write you off but in the Spellbinder Aunt Deirdre is the most contemptuous of Belladonna.

Not even the people her age listen to her. There are ghosts for crying out loud and yet both Elsie and Steve think that everything she suggests is absolutely ridiculous. Yet when they have off the wall ideas and Belladonna says that it is impossible she must be stupid.

Another thing that bugged me was that Belladonna was the main character and yet she did not really have a main character kind of roll. I felt that Steve dominated the entire book. He got to do all of the cool things, hold all of the awesome magic artifacts, and he got to figure out everything. Which begs the question of what was the point of Belladonna?

I loved the idea of the book. It was interesting, something that I have never read before, and I was obviously sucked into the world. I felt for every character at one point or another and wanted to pound them twice as many times. I could not stop reading even when I was bugged by what was happening and I could not wait to find out everything that was going on. I just got very annoyed by the characters. However I still think that this book is worth the read because the plot more than makes up for the frustrating characters.

Spellbinder was obviously a series because many questions were not answered and I hope to find them out in the sequel. The book is neatly tied up at the end with the typical happy ending but I can't wait to see what problems are in the sequel. ( )
  WarBetweentheBooks | Sep 26, 2011 |
This is a book aimed at children, but it was certainly an enjoyable read for an adult too. I would imagine it would ideally suit the 10 - 14 age group, but there's enough inside interest others too.

Belladonna is a young girl who can see ghosts, which includes her parents, who mange to live in their house with her, keeping life fairly normal. However, she can also see other ghosts, and it's often hard to tell them apart from living people, which has often caused problems for her. Belladonna is now considered to be a bit of a freak by many of her school friends, and she feels an outsider - which is something that some of the young readers may identify with.

After a while, the ghosts start to disappear, and it becomes obvious that things are not right. hence starts an adventure for Belladonna, as she travels between worlds, trying to work out what's happening, and how to solve it.

The young characters are all well written, the enemy frightening, and there's just enough scariness for the target audience. Belladonna's character is developed enough to open the way for further adventures - something hinted at by the title. I will certainly pick up the next to be published.
  michelle_bcf | Jul 10, 2010 |
Jennifer McConnel (VOYA, February 2010 (Vol. 32, No. 6))
Belladonna Johnson is a quiet, reserved girl who holds herself apart from her classmates--not because she is snobbish or rude but because she is terrified that she would reveal her deepest secret if she had friends. The secret she guards so carefully is that she can see and speak with ghosts. Not just the ghosts of her parents, who died tragically in an accident, but all ghosts. Long-dead ghosts, forgotten ghosts, and modern ghosts fill Belladonna’s world until one day, when the ghosts mysteriously vanish, and Belladonna is forced to confide in a classmate in order to solve whatever is wrong on the “other side.” With the help of a varied cast of characters, including a Greek oracle, her dead grandfather, and her rather imposing aunt, Belladonna embarks on a magical quest that could either save or destroy the world of the living, not to mention other realms, as well. This charming debut novel blends classic British fantasy with figures usually reserved for horror stories to create a compelling fantasy adventure romp which will appeal to middle grades readers. Although the characters and the quest are strangely reminiscent of the early Harry Potter novels, this book is sure to hook readers and leave them waiting for what must certainly be a sequel, if not a whole series. VOYA CODES: 5Q 4P M J (Hard to imagine it being any better written; Broad general YA appeal; Middle School, defined as grades 6 to 8; Junior High, defined as grades 7 to 9). 2009
added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Jennifer McConnel (Feb 1, 2010)

Helen Stringerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortune, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Etha  whose adventures are just beginning.
It was Wednesday.
The thing about going to school is that it doesn't give you enough time to think about the important stuff. (p. 26)

Twelve-year-old Belladonna Johnson, who lives with the ghosts of her parents in the north of England, teams up with an always-in-trouble classmate to investigate why all of the ghosts in the world have suddenly disappeared.

Belladonna Johnson can see ghosts. It’s a trait she’s inherited from her mother’s side of the family, like blue eyes or straight hair. And it’s a trait she could do without, because what twelve-year-old wants to be caught talking to someone invisible?

It is convenient, though, after Belladonna’s parents are killed in a car accident. They can live with her the same as always, watching the same old TV shows in their same old house. Nothing has changed . . . until everything changes.

One night, with no warning, they vanish into thin air—along with every other ghost in the world. It’s what some people think ghosts are supposed to do, but Belladonna knows it’s all wrong. They may not be living, but they’re not supposed to be gone.

With the help of her classmate Steve, a master of sneaking and spying, Belladonna is left to uncover what’s become of the spirits and to navigate a whole world her parents have kept well-hidden. If she can’t find her way, she’ll lose them again—this time for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:25 -0400)

12 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,479,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible