Pastworld by Ian Beck

Pastworld

by Ian Beck

Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Running Out of Time is for a younger crowd (middle school or so), while Pastworld is more firmly rooted in the teen world, but both have a similar premise - a girl living in a tourist attraction without knowing it.
    The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: For those interested in different takes on Jack the Ripper. Pastworld is a thriller set in a dystopian future where London has been turned into a Victorian-era theme park - complete with an eerie serial killer. Name of the Star is a modern/paranormal take on a new set of Jack the Ripper murders as experienced by an American teen studying abroad in Whitechapel.… (more)
    The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist (gaskella)
    gaskella: For grown-ups - A racy yet great fun pseudo-Victorian melodrama.

** spoiler alert ** In the beginning the book was really thrilling. The idea of a victorian theme park (like larp) in a futuristic world is really great and I haven't read something like that before. Ian Beck managed to write the story in a way that it never got boring, because the reader gets only a few information about the characters and how the main characters are sticked together.

My bad rating results from the female main character. At first she was really cute and I sympathized with her, but after she realiz...more In the beginning the book was really thrilling. The idea of a victorian theme park (like larp) in a futuristic world is really great and I haven't read something like that before. Ian Beck managed to write the story in a way that it never got boring, because the reader gets only a few information about the characters and how the main characters are sticked together.

My bad rating results from the female main character. At first she was really cute and I sympathized with her, but after she realized that Pastworld isn't the real world (she thought Pastworld would be a real town, her hometown) she became really annoying. She doesn't react as someone, who was just told that everything she ever believed in was only an illusion. (It was like: "Oh... it's only a themepark? Well okay! Whatever, let's go!)

Oh, and before I forget: She can lip read, she can see in the dark (it isn't a magic book or something like that, where darksight is normal), she is perfect in walking the wire (but she neeever knew; of course), she can run so fast normal people only see a dark shadow and she has the ability to slow down the time for herself. Of course every male main charakter (ecxept the old ones) loooves her, because she is so perfect and wonderful and her bright blue eyes are so unique. Oh and she loves everyone of them too, and she really wants to get killed by two of them ... yeah... oh .. and of couurse at the end she is pregnant and happy and everything is SO GREAT!

It was a fight to read the last pages really, i didn't expect that such a good beginning ends so horribly bad. ( )
  Knochenherz | Jun 7, 2013 |
A very unique read. While the basic plot itself wasn't unheard of, the world and the telling of the story were very unusual. The end seems a little anticlimactic, and other than the reeally bad punctuation it's actually quite a good book.
Full Review:
http://persyandarty.blogspot.com/2011/06/persy-pastworld-by-ian-beck.html ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 15, 2011 |
I feel bad that it took me so long to read this one. It was picked out for me as part of the January 'Buddy Books' challenge and I was super excited to read it. The idea was so cool- I mean turning London into a Victorian era theme park?? And there's a creepy murderer on the loose?? That's awesome!! Unfortunately, the idea was better as just that: an idea. I started reading Pastworld and thought that it was just a little slow to get rolling. So I kept reading. And kept reading. And then read Matched. And then read a little more Pastworld...then read Vampire Academy...and then a little more Pastworld. You get the point. I just could NOT get into the book. It seemed like there was a ton of dead story that was trying to weave together a couple different plot lines, but it just feel totally flat. I forced my self to keep the faith and wait for Beck to finally get to the point, and he finally did on page 282. If you are reading this and have a deep burning urge to read Pastworld, then skip the next few lines because I'm about to spoil the whole book for you. The Fantom is essentially a genetically engineered Jack the Ripper (named Adam) and Eve is a genetically engineered 'perfect victim' created for him to hunt down and kill over and over again as the ultimate Pastworld spectacle.

The part that drives me CRAZY is that this book could have really been spectacular if Beck had lead with the whole Jack the Ripper thing and built the story out from there. As the reader, it would have been much more interesting to know that this Jack the Ripper incarnate was out after a girl who was totally clueless. But that's just my opinion.

I wasn't a huge fan of the author's writing either. It seemed choppy and read almost like a machine gun fire of words: 'He walked into the room. Then he saw her in the corner. She was looking at him.' The most interesting quote in the whole book came from Buckland, and he was only present for 20ish pages in the whole book. "I fear the forces of reaction are biting at our heels."

Overall, I found Pastworld to be a total snooze. It's pretty bad when it takes me 3+ weeks to make my way through a book...especially when I manage to read 4 others in the same amount of time. ( )
  JCShoffitt | Mar 20, 2011 |
Reviewed by Andrea for TeensReadToo.com

Pastworld is a "theme park" set in the Victorian times of London. The visitors, called Gawkers, get submerged in that lifetime. They must follow strict rules to keep to the authenticity.

The story is about Eve, a girl who was shut away in a house in Pastworld and only let out with her guardian, who runs away to join the circus. She doesn't remember much of her childhood, but she dreams of being free. The story is also about Caleb, a visitor to Pastworld whose life is turned upside down when he's a witness to a murder. Before long, he is labeled as the murderer and his father is kidnapped right before his eyes. He is taken in by a pickpocket named Bible J. And then there's the Fantom. He is a serial killer with a gruesome calling card.

These three characters are all involved in some way - a very shocking way!

PASTWORLD was definitely...interesting. Working for Disney, I saw that this was about a "theme park" and was excited. But I wouldn't exactly call Pastworld a theme park; it's just a city set in the past.

You could definitely tell this book was written by a guy, since it was really gory. I wasn't expecting that, but it didn't turn me off from my reading. Sometimes, I didn't really care about the characters. While I wanted to care about Eve, I didn't feel like there was enough about her for me to feel sympathetic about. That being said, this was a good science fiction/mystery book. I spent a lot of the storyline trying to figure out what was going on, and I would say that about two-thirds of the way through, I finally figured it out. And it was a good twist!

I feel that the ending wrapped up too quickly, as I would have liked to have read more about what happened at the end scene with the Fantom and Eve. Still, a good read overall, though. ( )
  GeniusJen | Nov 5, 2010 |
A fascinating novel about a world post-pandemic where London has turned into a Victorian themepark. It's a little bit dystopian and a little bit steampunk and a lot enjoyable. ( )
  callmecayce | Oct 11, 2010 |
In presenting this story I would not wish to take any knowledge for granted on behalf of the reader.

Pastworld. A city within a city. A city for excursions and outings. Pastworld is a theme park with a difference, where travellers can journey back in time for a brush with an authentic Victorian past. But what if the Jack the Ripper figure stopped play-acting and really started killing people? For Caleb, a tourist from the present day, his visit goes terribly wrong when his father is kidnapped and he finds himself accused of murder. Then Caleb meets Eve, a Pastworld inhabitant who has no idea the modern world exists. Both Caleb and Eve have roles to play in the murderer's diabolical plans - roles that reveal disturbing truths about their origins.

In 2050, while visiting Pastworld, a Victorian London theme park, teenaged Caleb meets seventeen-year-old Eve, a Pastworld inhabitant who has no knowledge of the modern world, and both become pawns in a murderer's diabolical plan that reveals disturbing truths about the teenagers' origins.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible