Mama Zooms by Jane Cowen-Fletcher

Mama Zooms (edition 1995)

by Jane Cowen-Fletcher

Title:Mama Zooms
Authors:Jane Cowen-Fletcher
Info:Scholastic (1995), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Family, Fiction, Disabilities

Mama Zooms by Jane Cowen-Fletcher

MAMA ZOOMS by Jane Cowen-Fletcher is a beautifully imaginative story about a son and his mother who is in a wheelchair. In the story, the boy fully embraces his mother's handicap, seeing her wheelchair as a "zooming machine"; it's a race car, a space ship, a train, a wagon, and even a wave for him to surf on. The boy's mother plays along with his imagination as they ride along together. I really enjoyed this story and I think it would be a great one to have in the classroom, especially if there are students with physical handicaps. The illustrations were simple and colorful and the text provides an easy read for young students. I would use this book as a way to discuss disabilities with students. After reading the book out loud, I would have students choose their favorite scene from the book and illustrate it (either with crayons, markers, paint, etc.). Then they could display they artwork and share with the class what they made and retell the scene from the story. If there is a student in the class with a similar disability, I would invite them to talk about it with the class, but only if they feel comfortable. ( )
  mmiller28 | Nov 21, 2015 |
The best thing about this book is that it's just a great story about a mother and a son sharing time together. Everyone can enjoy it, whether or not they use a wheelchair or know someone with a disability. The art is so joyful, lovely, and evocative of the child's imagination. And it's based on a real family! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
A little boy has a parent who is bound to a wheelchair, but that does not stop them from having all of the fun in the world.

Personal Reaction:
It shows kids that each parent is different, but that does not mean they love a child any less and they can still play and have fun.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have each student share facts about their parents, then compare the differences and talk about the positives.
2) Have a discussion on disabilities and talk about how it could not be a negative thing. ( )
  SarahMoore | Mar 25, 2015 |
Summary: This is about a mother and her little boy. The mother is the little boys zooming machine. The zooming machine is the mother's wheelchair. The wheelchairs it turn into a racehorse, ship, racecar, airplane, train, wagon, wave and a spaceship. But at the end of the day what he love best about her is that she is his mama.

Personal Reaction:
I love this story I thought it was very sweet and cute. What I liked about it most was that the mother was able to have fun with her son even with her disability. I love though that they used their imagination to make the wheelchair fun and exciting and a game for the day. I also that it was sweet at the end of the day what he liked about the most was when she was his mama.

Classroom Extension:
1) Have the students draw and write on a piece of paper things that they imagine to be, places they want to go, or people they want to be. After that stable the pages together in a book form write the cover of the book Our Imaginations and write the kids names as the authors. Then read it to the class.
2) Have a class discussion about disabilities and ways be can included students with disabilities. Tell the students that they are important even with their disabilities. Bring some famous people with disabilities and show what they have done in the world today.
  lauren_hayes | Mar 23, 2015 |
This is a book about a little boy with a big imagination. The boy in this book has a mother who is in a wheel chair. On his mother's lap, the boy imagines himself as a jockey, a sea captain, a racing-car driver, a pilot, a train engineer, and an astronaut.

Personal Summary:
I love that this book shows a positive portrayal of a mother with a physical disability who does wonderful, fun things with her little boy. I think that the soft, warm illustrations strengthen the emotional warmth of the story. I think this is a great book to have in any classroom, especially if there are students in the classroom with physical disabilities.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Write the word zoom on the board. Explain to students that zoom is an action verb. Ask students to tell you what they think of when they hear the word zooms and what objects they think zoom. Make a list of objects on the board. After reading the book, ask students to name the things that zoomed in it. Add those to the list already on the board.
2. Encourage students to draw or paint pictures of something they like to pretend, places they pretend to go, or people they pretend to be. Ask students to label their pictures with their names and comments. Staple the pictures together, and write "Our Imaginations" on the cover. List children as the authors and illustrators. Read the book together and congratulate children on their creativity.
  SydneySays | Oct 17, 2014 |

A small boy, with the aid of his energetic mother, her wheelchair ""zooming machine,"" and a bit of imagination, pretends that he is on a train, a spaceship, and more. Reprint. PW. SLJ.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

A boy's wonderful mama takes him zooming everywhere with her, because her wheelchair is a zooming machine.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible