The Pyramid: The First Wallander Cases…

The Pyramid: The First Wallander Cases (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) (1999)

by Henning Mankell

Recently added byprivate library, AKBuechereiPoett, lizzier, shawntowner, TienB, Sorraca, fderby, InTroubleAgain

English (26)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (40)

Sadly, this is not as great as his novels. Which is weird, as I thought his short stories would be more thematically to the point.

It's clear to me that in order for him to discuss the state of Sweden in the 90s, he needed more time. This could be because his novels have always been procedurals (and then this, and then that, and let me show you all the details), and you need many pages to get a procedural right. It could be because instead of being able to show all the pieces needed to comment on his main theme, he could only show some pieces and then had to blatantly comment on the theme at the end of the story. In essence, "I didn't have time, so here it is spelled out for you, sorry about that".

I did enjoy how these 5 stories tell the tale of Wallander's past life, before Ystad, before Mona left him, before almost everything we know about him from the novels. I think Mankell may have forgotten about his prior characterization of Linda, though - he calls her chatty, and in subsequent novels she is absolutely nothing like chatty (same in the TV series). ( )
  khage | Jan 17, 2016 |
Esta no es una nueva novela de Wallander, en lugar de eso es una colección de pequeñas novelas o largos relatos que rellenan el universo de Wallander al expandir y contar hechos que son tan solo mencionados en las novelas.

Así es como vemos vivos a personajes que ya han muertos en algunas novelas, o incluso a personajes que ya estaban muertos al comenzar la primer novela y son recordados siempre. ( )
  gedece | Jul 27, 2015 |
This collection comprises three short stories and two novellas. They tell us about Wallender's early cases and fill us in on several facts missing from the later stories. I particularly liked the bit in the last story,'The Pyramid' in which Wallender's father goes on holiday to Egypt and gets arrested for attempting to climb the Pyramids.Wallender has to fly out to extricate him.
This is not quite such a good read as most of the series,but nevertheless is still essential reading for the completist. ( )
  devenish | Feb 18, 2015 |
Collection of 3 short stories and 2 novellas about Wallanders early cases, all amazing good in the way that I just love in the Wallanders. The first novella tells of his early police life in Malmo and his stabbing, mentioned in later books. There are a few moments of placing things for future stories but mostly is doesn't fall into that trap. The novellas as like full novels with lots of complexity and characterm the short stories are less about the mystery and more about finding a part of Wallander's character. Overall makes me quite happy!
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
This is a collection of five short stories that the author uses to go back to the early days of Chief Inspector Wallander before he became an inspector. The stories are short but serve to fill in some background for the famous detective. I didn't find any of them worthy of more than 4 stars and overall, while arguably an important piece of the legacy of Wallander for fans, none of the cases were outstanding. I get the feeling that the endings are sometimes arrived at with great speed and relief so the author can move on to the next case. A must for Wallander fans - good but not great. ( )
  mldavis2 | Jun 29, 2014 |
To Rolf Lassgård
with great warmth, gratitude,
and not a little admiration.
He has told me so much
about about Wallander that I myself
did not know.
In the beginning, everything was just a fog.
Contains the short stories:
- Wallander's First Case
- The Man with the Mask
- The Man on the Beach
- The Death of the Photographer
- The Pyramid

Do NOT combine the single short stories with the omnibus!

A volume of short works featuring the popular investigator features Wallander as a young patrolman on his first case, a new father facing unexpected danger on Christmas Eve, a middle-aged man solving a poisoning death, a separated husband investigating a photographer's murder, and a veteran detective connecting a dual murder to a plane crash.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible