The Pyramid: The First Wallander Cases…

The Pyramid: The First Wallander Cases (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) (1999)

by Henning Mankell

English (25)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (38)
Esta no es una nueva novela de Wallander, en lugar de eso es una colección de pequeñas novelas o largos relatos que rellenan el universo de Wallander al expandir y contar hechos que son tan solo mencionados en las novelas.

Así es como vemos vivos a personajes que ya han muertos en algunas novelas, o incluso a personajes que ya estaban muertos al comenzar la primer novela y son recordados siempre. ( )
  gedece | Jul 27, 2015 |
This collection comprises three short stories and two novellas. They tell us about Wallender's early cases and fill us in on several facts missing from the later stories. I particularly liked the bit in the last story,'The Pyramid' in which Wallender's father goes on holiday to Egypt and gets arrested for attempting to climb the Pyramids.Wallender has to fly out to extricate him.
This is not quite such a good read as most of the series,but nevertheless is still essential reading for the completist. ( )
  devenish | Feb 18, 2015 |
Collection of 3 short stories and 2 novellas about Wallanders early cases, all amazing good in the way that I just love in the Wallanders. The first novella tells of his early police life in Malmo and his stabbing, mentioned in later books. There are a few moments of placing things for future stories but mostly is doesn't fall into that trap. The novellas as like full novels with lots of complexity and characterm the short stories are less about the mystery and more about finding a part of Wallander's character. Overall makes me quite happy!
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
This is a collection of five short stories that the author uses to go back to the early days of Chief Inspector Wallander before he became an inspector. The stories are short but serve to fill in some background for the famous detective. I didn't find any of them worthy of more than 4 stars and overall, while arguably an important piece of the legacy of Wallander for fans, none of the cases were outstanding. I get the feeling that the endings are sometimes arrived at with great speed and relief so the author can move on to the next case. A must for Wallander fans - good but not great. ( )
  mldavis2 | Jun 29, 2014 |
The book contains five stories, which set the stage for the Wallander novels. The stories here, which follow Wallander from his early twenties to around forty, are eminently readable - I eagerly went from one to the next and finished the book quickly. Wallender is a fully realized character, a ratheer downbeat one, to be sure. Maybe that's due to the weather: spring always seems to arrive late, or winter early, in these atories. If there's a fault here for my tastes, it's that these police procedurals don't have an element of puzzle-solving. There aren't any twists - once Wallender and his fellow cops are led to a killer, it's only a matter of following through on what the evidence has yielded. There are no surprises at the end of these stories. But they do provide an atmosphere of what it was like to live in Sweden in the Ninetee-Seventies and Eighties. ( )
  Hanneri | Feb 13, 2014 |
To Rolf Lassgård
with great warmth, gratitude,
and not a little admiration.
He has told me so much
about about Wallander that I myself
did not know.
In the beginning, everything was just a fog.
Contains the short stories:
- Wallander's First Case
- The Man with the Mask
- The Man on the Beach
- The Death of the Photographer
- The Pyramid

Do NOT combine the single short stories with the omnibus!

A volume of short works featuring the popular investigator features Wallander as a young patrolman on his first case, a new father facing unexpected danger on Christmas Eve, a middle-aged man solving a poisoning death, a separated husband investigating a photographer's murder, and a veteran detective connecting a dual murder to a plane crash.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,856,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible