The Pyramid: And Four Other Kurt Wallander…

The Pyramid: And Four Other Kurt Wallander Mysteries (1999)

by Henning Mankell

English (22)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (33)
This is a collection of five short stories that the author uses to go back to the early days of Chief Inspector Wallander before he became an inspector. The stories are short but serve to fill in some background for the famous detective. I didn't find any of them worthy of more than 4 stars and overall, while arguably an important piece of the legacy of Wallander for fans, none of the cases were outstanding. I get the feeling that the endings are sometimes arrived at with great speed and relief so the author can move on to the next case. A must for Wallander fans - good but not great. ( )
  mldavis2 | Jun 29, 2014 |
The book contains five stories, which set the stage for the Wallander novels. The stories here, which follow Wallander from his early twenties to around forty, are eminently readable - I eagerly went from one to the next and finished the book quickly. Wallender is a fully realized character, a ratheer downbeat one, to be sure. Maybe that's due to the weather: spring always seems to arrive late, or winter early, in these atories. If there's a fault here for my tastes, it's that these police procedurals don't have an element of puzzle-solving. There aren't any twists - once Wallender and his fellow cops are led to a killer, it's only a matter of following through on what the evidence has yielded. There are no surprises at the end of these stories. But they do provide an atmosphere of what it was like to live in Sweden in the Ninetee-Seventies and Eighties. ( )
  Hanneri | Feb 13, 2014 |
Five stories about Kurt Wallander, the fictional Swedish detective created by Henning Mankell. They are well written and cover the 20 years before Mankell ,wrote his first novel featuring this character in Faceless Killers. A very enjoyable read and copper-fastens Mankell's reputation as a wonderful crime writer against the background of a changing Sweden. ( )
  tbrennan1 | Feb 4, 2014 |
At some point after writing Sidetracked HEnning Mankell decided to fill in the blanks with a couple of short stories of early cases of Kurt Wallander. This is a collection of five of them. Some interesting tidbits gleaned, and rounding out of portraits of Wallander and his colleagues. I'm normally not a short story fan, but having been invested in this series, found these good to read.
  bookczuk | Jan 20, 2014 |
Pam and I have watched and enjoyed several of the Kenneth Branagh Wallander mysteries, and so I thought it was about time I read some of the Real Thing; as chance would have it, what I picked was not one of the novels but a sort of later adjunct to the series, a fat volume containing two short novels, a novella, and a couple of novelettes.

I was left very much in two minds as to whether I wanted to read any more. Segerberg's translation really plods; there are countless sentences that exhibit a sort of magnetic fridge poetry effect -- you know all the components are present and correct, but no one's taken the trouble to put them in the right order. I assume it's not the translator's fault that the prose style consists largely of lots of single-clause sentences, so that no proper rhythm can ever be built up. It's a fact. Like this. See what I mean? On and on it goes. And obviously it's not the translator's fault that in two consecutive stories the bad guy points a gun at Wallander for a long moment, Wallander waits to die, and the bad guy blows his own brains out. The first time it was moderately suspenseful; the second time, not so much.

One of the novelettes, "The Man with the Mask", is quite extraordinarily slight. The other, "The Man on the Beach", has more of a tale to tell -- where could the murdered man have gone to those days he went to the seaside, walked along the beach, and then seemed to vanish beyond anyone's ken? The first story in the book, the short novel "Wallander's First Case", held my attention perhaps best of all; the young Wallander's neighbor dies in suspicious circumstances and Wallander sets out to solve the crime even though he's not yet a detective, just a humble plod. "The Death of the Photographer" focuses on the disparity between a person's public image and the reality of them; and the same is true of the final, longer short novel "The Pyramid", in which the core mystery concerns the execution-style killings of two supposedly sweet old ladies who run a sewing-accessories shop.

None of these tales is outright bad -- with the arguable exception of "The Man in the Mask" -- but none of them much moved me, either . . . and, as I say, I found the style extremely rebarbative. So maybe I'll try one of the novels. Someday. Maybe. Or perhaps not. It's like that. See?
  JohnGrant1 | Aug 11, 2013 |
To Rolf Lassgard with great warmth, gratitude,and not a little admiration. He has told me so much about about Wallander that I myself did not know.
In the beginning, everything was just a fog.
Contains the short stories:
Wallander's First Case
The Man with the Mask
The Man on the Beach
The Death of the Photographer
The Pyramid

Do NOT combine the single short stories with the omnibus!

short stories Five short stories that answer the questions about what happened to Kurt Wallender before the start of the series written by Henning Mankell. Mankell explains in the foreward to this book that many people had written him to ask what happened the fictional Kurt Wallender before the series began. After all, when Kurt Wallender first appeared on the scene, he was forty-two, going on forty -three and had been a policeman for many years, he had married and divorced, had a child and had left Malmo for Ystad. This book then is a prequel to the Kurt Wallender Series of books.
----------------------------------------------
The missing piece of the internationally best-selling Kurt Wallander mystery series: the first cases of Kurt Wallander.
Revealing a side of Wallander that we have never seen, the long stories collected in The Pyramid are vintage Mankell. Here, we see Wallander as a twenty-one-year-old patrolman on his first homicide case, as a young father facing unexpected danger on Christmas Eve, as a middle-aged detective with his marriage on the brink, as a newly separated investigator solving the brutal murder of a local photographer, and finally as a veteran detective, with his signature methodical and instinctive work style, discovering unexpected connections between a downed plane and the assassination of a pair of spinster sisters.
In these five riveting tales, we watch Kurt Wallander come into his own not only as a detective but as a human being.

A volume of short works featuring the popular investigator features Wallander as a young patrolman on his first case, a new father facing unexpected danger on Christmas Eve, a middle-aged man solving a poisoning death, a separated husband investigating a photographer's murder, and a veteran detective connecting a dual murder to a plane crash.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,244,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible