A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (1)

23,53572247 (4.4)4 / 1178
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden (asha.leu)
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)

English (683)  Spanish (12)  French (5)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (723)
Where do I start? How about how the fact that I had not read this book before. A Game of Thrones is by far one of the best books that I have ever read.

The complex dynamics of the Seven Kingdoms and the Free Cites is hard to follow at first, as George R. R. Martin as each chapter a different character's point of view, but after the second or third time we visit each character I found myself yearning for more of the story.

The brilliantly written story is complex, heart-warming, and extremely saddening but in the perfect combination. Martin has a way of drawing you in to each each strand of the one large story line.

However, the best parts of the novel, at least in my opinion, are the hidden history facts that are integrated into the history of the Seven Kingdoms.

I can't wait to read the other books in the series and continue to follow the people of the realm. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
Game of Thrones is a great book! I love all the political intrigue and the character development is awesome! Some of my favorite characters ever are in this series. This first book introduces a lot of the characters and sets things up for the rest of the series. It's a great read. ( )
  barbiefly | Jun 18, 2015 |
This book definitely took me a long time to read; much longer than I thought it would. This book was recommended to me by some friends. However, my expectations were entirely different than what the book presented to me. I actually thought the story would be more of a fantasy type story than it actually was, so if you're expecting some hardcore fantasy, you won't find it here...at least not in the first book of the series. There are some fantasy elements that come into play here and there, but that's not the core of the story. Rather, it's just what the title says it is: A game of thrones. To summarize the story, it's really just a set up to this epic game of thrones that all the characters will be playing in future stories.

In terms of plot, I found most of the first few hundred pages to be somewhat dense. There is so much to learn, and I actually had to go back a few times just to remember who was who, and where was where, and so on and so forth. And being as thick as it is, it certainly happened quite often. I honestly didn't start really getting into the story until about the last 300 pages, and I think part of the reason was because I just wanted to finish the book and move on to something else. I'm glad I finished the book, and I'm excited to read the rest in the series, but for now I need a break from some of these characters' political squabbles.

The characters, on the other hand, I feel are quite well done. Each of the main characters have their own personality. Still, there are certain archetypes that are consistent between characters of similar titles, such as 'the spoiled prince,' or 'the cunning queen,' etc.

One last thing I would like to praise this story for is its lack of ridiculous plot devices, namely deus ex machina. Fantasy novels sometimes have a habit of breaking their own rules just for that surprise factor, but Martin does a good job of not throwing too many new rules at us in the beginning. It's purely about the story and the decisions these characters make. ( )
1 vote jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Le pongo 3.5 porque me encanto la hija menor de Stark , Arya y me enamore de la genial Daenerys .

El resto me resulto pesado . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
It's been a while since I read a book which was so much vamped up in the popular media. Well, perhaps the book wasn't, but the story was, thanks to the television series.

Nevertheless, in his first book of the Ice and Fire series, Martin completely and utterly lived up to the high expectations I had set. Wow, what a great book.

Wonderful story, very quick pace, intense characters and interesting way of telling the story, quickly shifting from POV in each chapter. He's not afraid to let good things happen to bad people and bad things to good people.

I mean, main and really important characters even get to die in his story. I find this an incredibly courageous thing to do as an author.

Bottom line: an amazing story and a great book. I already started in A Clash of Kings. :-) ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
And yet, I couldn't stop reading. And it wasn't with the kind of self-loathing desperation for closure that took me to the end of The Da Vinci Code. I read A Game Of Thrones with genuine pleasure. It may be a cartoon, but it's one that is brilliantly drawn. Archaic absurdity aside, Martin's writing is excellent. His dialogue is snappy and frequently funny. His descriptive prose is immediate and atmospheric, especially when it comes to building a sense of deliciously dark foreboding relating to a long winter that is about to engulf his fictional land.

The best about this is the way you can trust it to all fit together and make sense. If Martin mentions something without explaining it, it’ll be explained later, or anyway alluded to so that you can put it together yourself. It’s overflowing with detail and you can trust that all of the detail belongs and is necessary and interesting. The world and the story are completely immersive, with no jolts to jerk you out of your suspension of disbelief.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 9, 2009)

This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".
Publisher description for A Game of Thrones;

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553573403, Mass Market Paperback)

Readers of epic fantasy series are: (1) patient--they are left in suspense between each volume, (2) persistent--they reread or at least review the previous book(s) when a new installment comes out, (3) strong--these 700-page doorstoppers are heavy, and (4) mentally agile--they follow a host of characters through a myriad of subplots. In A Game of Thrones, the first book of a projected six, George R.R. Martin rewards readers with a vividly real world, well-drawn characters, complex but coherent plotting, and beautifully constructed prose, which Locus called "well above the norms of the genre."

Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances. Abroad, a dragon princess lives among horse nomads and dreams of fiery reconquest.

There is much bloodshed, cruelty, and death, but A Game of Thrones is nevertheless compelling; it garnered a Nebula nomination and won the 1996 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel. So, on to A Clash of Kings! --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:36 -0400)

A tale of court intrigues in the land of Seven Kingdoms, a country "blessed by golden summers that go on for years, and cursed by cruel winters that can last a generation." The cold is returning to Winterfell, where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime. A time of conflict has arisen in the Stark family, as they are pulled from the safety of their home into a whirlpool of tradedy, betrayal, assassination plots and counterplots. Each decision and action carries with it the potential for conflict as several prominent families, comprised of lords, ladies, soldiers, sorcerers, assassins and bastards, are pulled together in the most deadly game of all, the game of thrones.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,843,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible