A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (1)

26,64285138 (4.39)4 / 1339
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    A Clash Of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Martin cites this earlier fantasy series as a major influence.
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)

1990s (4)

English (804)  Spanish (15)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  All (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (850)
I honestly thought the end was going to be way worst than it really was. Even though _someone's_ death saddened me, it was to be expected.

The one thing I didn't like about this book is that it took me like 4 chapters to understand who was whose kid, father, wife, etc, and like 5 chapters to just start to understand where the hell the book was set. But I guess that happens when they're trying to describe a completely unfamiliar universe for you. Or when you're too slow to catch up faster. (...That's probably it).

I loved that each chapter had a character name as a title, because the POV was constantly changing. There are so many different personalities in this book, that it's hard to pick who's your favorite. Arya certainly is one of my top 5, I loved her from day one, but the Imp, and Jon, and Robb, and Bran...and Eddard himself, they're all such great and different characters! Ahhh, it's so hard to choose.

So, in short, 5 stars! ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 13, 2017 |
Read after seeing the series, In hindsight an excellent adaptation by HBO. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
I read this after the HBO show became popular, having never seen the show. The part I enjoyed the most was the broken-down chapters, where each chapter was spoken from an omniscient view of that character. The stories were interrelated, but often the characters didn't know they were interrelated. It was also nice to know events happening across Westeros without waiting for one character to experience it all. The structure is the most impressive part, but the characters are all believable and realistic as well. I often found that I liked the "bad guys" up until a certain point when things would change, or that I hated random characters only to have them die anyways. ( )
  kamikaze2011 | Jan 4, 2017 |
Stark (York) v Lannister (Lancaster) in a world where zombies and dragons exist and seasons last for years. And winter is coming.

I loved the complex world Martin has built but found I could only read the book in short bursts. The call of the internet was just too strong. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Dec 29, 2016 |
Why am I recommending this? Note first that I am not suggesting you read it. Nor am I going to say anything descriptive about it. If you haven’t heard of it, skip the rest. I never read this book, despite being aware of it for two decades. I’d heard warnings about excessive length, stodgy writing, simplistic morality, irksome archaisms.
But then came the HBO series, with its fine acting, lush settings and compelling action. For the viewer, the vivid images created by the show now make a fresh read almost impossible. This may be a good thing. Roy Dotrice does an effective job of narrating the audiobook, and the writing becomes quite secondary to the story itself. Listen to it, and enjoy another iteration of the series you already love.
  stellarexplorer | Dec 27, 2016 |
And yet, I couldn't stop reading. And it wasn't with the kind of self-loathing desperation for closure that took me to the end of The Da Vinci Code. I read A Game Of Thrones with genuine pleasure. It may be a cartoon, but it's one that is brilliantly drawn. Archaic absurdity aside, Martin's writing is excellent. His dialogue is snappy and frequently funny. His descriptive prose is immediate and atmospheric, especially when it comes to building a sense of deliciously dark foreboding relating to a long winter that is about to engulf his fictional land.

The best about this is the way you can trust it to all fit together and make sense. If Martin mentions something without explaining it, it’ll be explained later, or anyway alluded to so that you can put it together yourself. It’s overflowing with detail and you can trust that all of the detail belongs and is necessary and interesting. The world and the story are completely immersive, with no jolts to jerk you out of your suspension of disbelief.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 9, 2009)

This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".
Publisher description for A Game of Thrones;

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553573403, Mass Market Paperback)

Readers of epic fantasy series are: (1) patient--they are left in suspense between each volume, (2) persistent--they reread or at least review the previous book(s) when a new installment comes out, (3) strong--these 700-page doorstoppers are heavy, and (4) mentally agile--they follow a host of characters through a myriad of subplots. In A Game of Thrones, the first book of a projected six, George R.R. Martin rewards readers with a vividly real world, well-drawn characters, complex but coherent plotting, and beautifully constructed prose, which Locus called "well above the norms of the genre."

Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances. Abroad, a dragon princess lives among horse nomads and dreams of fiery reconquest.

There is much bloodshed, cruelty, and death, but A Game of Thrones is nevertheless compelling; it garnered a Nebula nomination and won the 1996 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel. So, on to A Clash of Kings! --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

A tale of court intrigues in the land of Seven Kingdoms, a country "blessed by golden summers that go on for years, and cursed by cruel winters that can last a generation." The cold is returning to Winterfell, where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime. A time of conflict has arisen in the Stark family, as they are pulled from the safety of their home into a whirlpool of tradedy, betrayal, assassination plots and counterplots. Each decision and action carries with it the potential for conflict as several prominent families, comprised of lords, ladies, soldiers, sorcerers, assassins and bastards, are pulled together in the most deadly game of all, the game of thrones.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,668,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible