A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (1)

21,94966559 (4.4)4 / 1117
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    Acacia: The war with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)
    Spirit Gate by Kate Elliot (ImLittleJon)
    ImLittleJon: There are some similarities between Martin's and Elliott's series. Their epic scale is similar, with multiple interweaving plotlines, characters noble and humble, interacting cultures, and so forth. Both begin in a world where magic is a matter of legend, but slowly creeps back into usage. Spirit Gate might not be A Dance with Dragons, but it will help make the time pass until that book gets published.… (more)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Tjarda, Patangel)

English (623)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (6)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (663)
It's well written but too long and then to think that there are five or six more of these tomes in this series is just too much for me. I'm not one of those patient and loyal readers that Amazon.com mentions. A Game of Thrones would be a much stronger book if the story were told from half the points of view. Basically the author could have done away from the chapters from the women's point of view as they are the least interesting and least believable of all the chapters. That would probably cut the book's length down to a manageable 400 or so pages. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 15, 2014 |
Buddy read with Ang & Brandi. Let's do dis.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
4.5 It loses half of a star for too many deaths. So depressing. ( )
  meggarrett0609 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Wow! Just Wow!! Martin has written an incredible start to his Song of Ice and Fire series. This huge tome has everything it it and I'd venture to say that most people will find something within its front and back covers which captures their attention and imagination. The reader will find family values, romance, infidelity, conflict, the supernatural and even zombies. Each chapter, recorded from the viewpoint of one of the main characters, is jam packed with excitement and intrigue and this is why 806 pages reads so quickly, the awe 'em and shock 'em concept captures you in its lair and motivates the reader to read on and on. It will be interesting to see just how many shocking events Martin will come up with in the next book in the series, A Clash of Kings. The simple lines of "Winter is Coming", 'The milk of the poppy", "I am the blood of the dragon",
“Swift as a deer. Quiet as a shadow. Fear cuts deeper than swords. Quick as a snake. Calm as still water.” make this a truly memorable read and define characters that are unforgettable. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  Carmenere | Aug 6, 2014 |
First of all, you all know that I’m not a fantasy expert. For some VERY detailed reviews by hard-core fantasy fans, check out the reviews on Goodreads. This book/series did not go over well with them in general for a variety of reasons. The most common complaint is that it’s not original. Since I don’t read much fantasy, that wasn’t a problem for me.

Another common complaint is that it’s misogynistic. I can see where this is coming from. There is a lot of rape and women in general are not treated well. I just thought GRRM wrote it that way because that’s how it was in the time period this book is set in. I’m not sure what time period that is supposed to be, but I know it’s a long, long time ago. One particular storyline that did bother me was the one where a young teenage girl is sold into marriage wiht a much older man, who essentially rapes her on their wedding night. Over time she grows to love him deeply. Maybe she has Stockholm Syndrome but I did not care for it even so. If you watch the TV series, you may have noticed that the women are almost always taken from behind with not as much as a kiss before hand. I can’t remember if all the sex is described in the book this way, but that method puts women in a pretty submissive position. (no pun intended)

This book is very, very long, clocking in at over 800 pages. Since I have a TON of books on my reading list, it’s hard for me to commit to reading a book this big. Incidentally, if GRRM would cut down his descriptions of the food everyone eats, the book could be about 200 pages shorter! However, I love the TV series and decided I should read the books as well. I thought it might make the TV show even better if I knew more about what the characters were thinking and their backstorys. It did do that. However, since this first book follows the first series of the TV show very faithfully and therefore I already knew what was going to happen, this book wasn’t unputdownable. (That’s a word, right?) I even put it down a few times to read other books. And even though I’d already seen the show, I still found it hard to keep all of the characters straight.

I did like that this book has a lot of surprises that I definitely would not have seen coming if I hadn’t watched the show first. I also liked that even though it’s fantasy, there is not a lot of magic. People aren’t saved because some magical element comes out of nowhere. If you’re a regular reader of mine, you know this is a big problem for me.

I liked this book and probably would have liked it more if I hadn’t watched the show first. But in my opinion this a rare instance where the on-screen version is better than the book. And I will read the other books in the series at some point, my interest was held enough to want to continue. Since this is the first book in the series, it could be much like how the pilot episode of a new TV series is usually not very good because it is setting up the future of the show and introducing the characters. I will reserve more judgment until I have read at least the second book. ( )
  mcelhra | Jul 31, 2014 |
And yet, I couldn't stop reading. And it wasn't with the kind of self-loathing desperation for closure that took me to the end of The Da Vinci Code. I read A Game Of Thrones with genuine pleasure. It may be a cartoon, but it's one that is brilliantly drawn. Archaic absurdity aside, Martin's writing is excellent. His dialogue is snappy and frequently funny. His descriptive prose is immediate and atmospheric, especially when it comes to building a sense of deliciously dark foreboding relating to a long winter that is about to engulf his fictional land.

The best about this is the way you can trust it to all fit together and make sense. If Martin mentions something without explaining it, it’ll be explained later, or anyway alluded to so that you can put it together yourself. It’s overflowing with detail and you can trust that all of the detail belongs and is necessary and interesting. The world and the story are completely immersive, with no jolts to jerk you out of your suspension of disbelief.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 9, 2009)

This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hlinovsky, SatuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".
Publisher description for A Game of Thrones;

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553573403, Mass Market Paperback)

Readers of epic fantasy series are: (1) patient--they are left in suspense between each volume, (2) persistent--they reread or at least review the previous book(s) when a new installment comes out, (3) strong--these 700-page doorstoppers are heavy, and (4) mentally agile--they follow a host of characters through a myriad of subplots. In A Game of Thrones, the first book of a projected six, George R.R. Martin rewards readers with a vividly real world, well-drawn characters, complex but coherent plotting, and beautifully constructed prose, which Locus called "well above the norms of the genre."

Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances. Abroad, a dragon princess lives among horse nomads and dreams of fiery reconquest.

There is much bloodshed, cruelty, and death, but A Game of Thrones is nevertheless compelling; it garnered a Nebula nomination and won the 1996 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel. So, on to A Clash of Kings! --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:36 -0400)

A tale of court intrigues in the land of Seven Kingdoms, a country "blessed by golden summers that go on for years, and cursed by cruel winters that can last a generation." The cold is returning to Winterfell, where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime. A time of conflict has arisen in the Stark family, as they are pulled from the safety of their home into a whirlpool of tradedy, betrayal, assassination plots and counterplots. Each decision and action carries with it the potential for conflict as several prominent families, comprised of lords, ladies, soldiers, sorcerers, assassins and bastards, are pulled together in the most deadly game of all, the game of thrones.… (more)

4 1975

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,114,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible