Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

A Game of Thrones (1996)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (1)

34,025101048 (4.37)4 / 1462
The kingdom of the royal Stark family faces its ultimate challenge in the onset of a generation-long winter, the poisonous plots of the rival Lannisters, the emergence of the Neverborn demons, and the arrival of barbarian hordes.
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    Shogun by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker (martlet)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Tjarda, Patangel)
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)

1990s (1)
1990s (2)

English (957)  Spanish (15)  French (6)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (1,003)
I took my time reading this, didn't want to rush anything! Must admit, I've already watched the complete series, however this hasn't taken anything away for the book, nor I should think, will it detract from the other books in the series. I actually feel that by knowing the storyline, I've been able to keep track of the large number of characters better. ( )
  Fliss88 | Nov 7, 2020 |
Loved it, i can see why this series had so much hype around it ( )
  Inho_Yukine | Oct 29, 2020 |
A surprisingly moral read, despite the depravity throughout. It’s a story about honor, duty and love, exemplified by the Starks and Daenerys Targaryen, in contrast to the ambition, immorality and mendacity, exemplified by the Lannisters.

I was impressed by Martin’s insights on courage.

At one point Bran (the son of Ned Stark) wonders:

“Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?”

And then he remembered his father saying,

“That is the only time a man can be brave.”

Later Catelyn Stark speaks to her son Robb of her husband’s courage:

"Your father is not fearless. He is brave, but that is very different."

It’s clear that Ned was not fearless and foolhardy like others in the story. His eyes were open and yet love and honour made him keep to his duty, despite the cost. He is a picture of the kind of men our world needs.

Love for others and honor for God makes even the most timid and fearful courageous. ( )
  toby.neal | Oct 6, 2020 |
Wow better than tv series ( )
  devendradave | Sep 1, 2020 |
It's just amazing. As a fan of the show, it was hard for me to read it because I knew what was going to happen and the first book and season 1 are almost the same. But now I'm exited to read how book diverges from the TV series. I discovered that Sansa is my favourite character and she is the character who has the best character development in this book. ( )
  iKaroliina | Aug 15, 2020 |
This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".

Publisher description for A Game of Thrones;

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,483,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible