A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones (1996)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (1)

31,86296648 (4.38)4 / 1445
The kingdom of the royal Stark family faces its ultimate challenge in the onset of a generation-long winter, the poisonous plots of the rival Lannisters, the emergence of the Neverborn demons, and the arrival of barbarian hordes.
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    Shogun by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker (martlet)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Tjarda, Patangel)
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)

1990s (3)
War (2)

English (921)  Spanish (14)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (966)
I've just finished re-reading this book, and what can I say? It's even more of a feat the second time around. My original review stands below, supplemented by some 2011 thoughts.

This was the first fantasy book I read, and it blew me away. I'd always assumed fantasy books were about young boys with shadowy pasts who discovered they were heirs to the kingdom. (Well, that's still possible *spoiler!* but even if so, it's not the overarching story). Martin goes to great pains to describe the entire world he has created, showing us a world torn apart by war, but one in which every aspect - from the warriors' armor to the concerns of the wives of lords - is equally important. He refuses to pander to stereotype or cliche, and constantly startles with the breadth of his imagination. Highly recommended. The only caveat: by book 3, the appendix/list of characters is 50 pages long. Some chapters can become headscratching as you try to remember the identities of dozens. Well worth it, though!

Supplement: what an astounding achievement. Listening to Roy Dotrice's audio book made me truly realise the depth of each of the dozens (hundreds?) of characters in this novel. Even the coldest villains are motivated by the sum of their lives, and the sweetest, kindest among them equally so. I daresay there is not a single wrong step in these books: fans who ardently dislike the Catelyn or Sansa chapters absolutely get my goat. Catelyn is a woman born to a fascinating, decaying house, whose entire life has been shaped by those around her and allows us to witness so many powerful moments, while also being able to comment on them with an intelligence or awareness lacking in those around her. For Sansa, it's the exact opposite, wonderfully: the machinations of King's Landing are seen through her naive eyes, making for a truly delightful reading experience, and a true testament to Martin's skills.

(The only thing I disliked was how much I cringed to think of poor Roy Dotrice having to speak phrases like "the finger found her wetness, and entered her there". Hmmm.)

Anyway, in closing, I can't wait to see this come to life in HBO's series, and to re-read book 2 with my newfound awareness of so many character motivations and elements that I only vaguely grasped the first time around. ( )
  therebelprince | Dec 14, 2019 |
2.5 stars for good writing and for a third of a good story. Rest of it was tiresome. ( )
  zcoeman | Dec 5, 2019 |
I'm no stranger to slow moving, dry writing with complex (or even frustrating) characters. But, when I've enjoyed books like that, there've been other qualities that pull those attributes together towards something great, memorable, enjoyable. Reading A Game of Thrones felt rather pointless. I was intrigued by the beginning, bogged down by the middle, and had my interest barely re-piqued by the end. But, that middle part went on for a seeming eternity. The dread of attempting book #2 was overwhelming.
In short, it was a boring slog filled with characters I could care less about. I've heard the series improves before heading downhill again -- I just don't understand the hype. ( )
  daxjansen | Dec 3, 2019 |
probably closer 3.5 stars. it was good. im glad I watched the series first as it helped to visualize the characters without confusing them. there was a lot that happened in this book and while I knew what was going to happen I was still surpirsed and saddened.

Im tryinh to determine who I want to "root" for but its hard to see whos right and whose wrong all the time. Ill continue the series and see how that goes. ( )
  tmbookluvr | Dec 3, 2019 |
Ända sedan Game of Thrones började sändas så har en av mina vänner tjatat på mig att jag ska kolla på det. Sedan började det tjatas om att jag skulle läsa böckerna. Efter ett misslyckat försök att börja kolla på serien så avfärdade jag även böckerna då de såg så tjocka ut. Jag har aldrig varit rädd för att ge mig på en tjock bok men helt plötsligt kändes det jämförbart med en hel vecka idrott på raken. Med andra ord, det kändes bara jobbigt och tråkigt och jag gav snart upp tanken på att läsa böckerna eller se TV-serien. Men en dag hade Willy's ett erbjudande: 4 böcker för 3. Då slog jag till och köpte första delen i George R.R. Martin's serie för nu ta mig fan är det dags att jag sätter fart och läser lite. På så sätt kom jag över denna bok.

För flera år sedan så blev tronen till de sju konungariken befriad från den drakkungen Aerys som stod på vippen till galenskap. De som stod i frontlinjen i kuppen var Eddard Stark och hans bästa vän Robert Baratheon varav den sistnämnde sedan bestiger tronen när den tidigare konungafamiljen har drivits bort från riket. Eddard själv drar sig tillbaka till sin hemstad i den kalla Norden.

De närmaste femton åren flyter fredligt förbi men när kungens hand mystiskt dör så börjar kungen misstänka att hans fiender har börjat smida sina planer för att på ett eller annat sätt få honom av tronen och han vänder sig genast till den person han litar mest på: Eddard.

Under kungens besök i Vinterhed för att övertyga sin bäste vän att ta den för tillfället lediga platsen som kungens hand råkar hans son klättra på fel plats vid fel tillfälle; där han blir vittne till något som hotar att släppa lös en skandal vars like nästan aldrig har skådats förut. Trots att händelsen lämnar pojken handikappad och i en djup koma så innebär det att en ny tid har kommit till Västeros – och den kommer att ändra allt.

Det tog knappt ett kapitel innan jag var helt uppslukad av boken. Nu vet jag att det är en översättning så är språket helt fantastiskt. Jag gillar många detaljer, speciellt detaljrika beskrivningar. Det är definitivt något som bjuds på i denna bok. Däremot så blir det ibland lite för mycket beskrivning i vissa lägen. Det känns som det finns ingen anledning att beskriva de intima kvällarna mellan Daenerys och hennes mycket äldre make Drogo. Daenerys är endast tretton och det känns riktigt obekvämt att läsa de delarna då de beskrivs precis som sexscener mellan två vuxna vilket... inte riktigt känns rätt. Är det för att provocera? Möjligtvis men det vore en sak om det beskrevs som något som var fel vilket det inte riktigt gör.

Men jag gillar de politiska intrigerna. Nu har vi inte en monarki som ger makt åt kungafamiljen och hovet men vi har en rik historia när det gäller monarki, inte bara i Sverige men även våra grannländer, och på så sätt så känns den lite historisk. Men den påminner även om de politiska intriger som finns idag. Även om makten utdelas olika så är intrigerna rätt mycket detsamma.

De kapitel som berättas genom Jon var dock även intressanta trots att det som händer där inte är lika präglat av situationen i riket. Där pratas det med om muren och vad som finns på andra sidan. På det sättet blir det en bra kontrast mellan politik och fantasy. De vita vålnaderna får gärna dyka upp snart igen för jag är riktigt intresserad av dem. Möjligtvis för att det även är vad jag minns bäst från serien. För att jag har sett prologen, typ, tre gånger.

Igår fick jag pengar men tyvärr är jag för tillfället på besök hos farföräldrarna i min fars lilla håla till hemstad men på måndag blir det allt ett besök till bokhandeln för att införskaffa del två och tre. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a supplement

this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".

Publisher description for A Game of Thrones;

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,292,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible