A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (1)

21,017None65 (4.4)4 / 1070
2011 (106) A Song of Ice and Fire (820) adventure (111) dragons (248) ebook (148) epic (306) epic fantasy (296) fantasy (4,078) fantasy fiction (59) fiction (1,585) George R. R. Martin (116) high fantasy (131) intrigue (88) Kindle (152) knights (94) magic (106) medieval (146) novel (180) own (107) paperback (82) politics (130) read (288) read in 2011 (77) read in 2012 (61) science fiction (129) series (375) sff (148) to-read (308) unread (85) war (161)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    Acacia: The war with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker (martlet)
    Spirit Gate by Kate Elliot (ImLittleJon)
    ImLittleJon: There are some similarities between Martin's and Elliott's series. Their epic scale is similar, with multiple interweaving plotlines, characters noble and humble, interacting cultures, and so forth. Both begin in a world where magic is a matter of legend, but slowly creeps back into usage. Spirit Gate might not be A Dance with Dragons, but it will help make the time pass until that book gets published.… (more)

English (586)  Spanish (12)  French (5)  Dutch (4)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (625)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire is so different from any other fantasy epic. Martin's writing is eloquent, his story is completely original and unpredictable, and the plot is dark and gritty (often gross). His characters are some of the best in fantasy literature because they are so complex. You often can’t decide whether a character is a “good guy” or a “bad guy,” which is very different from most other fantasy literature, but not so different from real life.

But I've got a problem with GRRM. I get upset when favorite characters — who I’ve come to love — have terrible, terrible things happen to them, or they ... DIE. Martin has no mercy and this is distressing. I mean, I really get upset. I like heroes, and there aren't any in ASOIAF. There's nobody to safely stand behind, knowing that whatever happens to them, they'll still be standing in the end.

Martin is taking his time finishing this saga. I chuckled when I read this statement on his website: “you guys read a lot faster than I can write.” I’ll try ASOIAF again when it's close to being finished. Now that I know not to get attached to anyone, it will probably go better for me.
Read more George R.R. Martin book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Great read! Gonna definately pick up the next in the series ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
Perhaps it is because I have seen the show first, but I didn't find the book as intriguing and thrilling as I thought I would. One thing I do like about it over the show is the insight into the characters' thoughts and minds.

That said though, the world that Martin sets up in the first book is vast and there are plenty of characters and plots to follow, if there is a character that you don't like, I'm going to come out and say it, Sansa. She is the most annoying, self-righteous girl in the book. I hope she changes in the next few books because I dread reading her part every time.

I like the realistic touch that Martin adds by making it so that no one is safe from death's reach. It is sad to see characters go, but such is life. I am not looking forward to more character deaths, but I am looking forward to the lives of those who yet live and how they overcome their grief. ( )
  samuraibunny | Mar 25, 2014 |
Read on Kindle, thank goodness. I wouldn't want to be toting the series around with me in book form. Oof! ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
no time for a review, must start the second book. ( )
  stevewhite71 | Mar 19, 2014 |
And yet, I couldn't stop reading. And it wasn't with the kind of self-loathing desperation for closure that took me to the end of The Da Vinci Code. I read A Game Of Thrones with genuine pleasure. It may be a cartoon, but it's one that is brilliantly drawn. Archaic absurdity aside, Martin's writing is excellent. His dialogue is snappy and frequently funny. His descriptive prose is immediate and atmospheric, especially when it comes to building a sense of deliciously dark foreboding relating to a long winter that is about to engulf his fictional land.

The best about this is the way you can trust it to all fit together and make sense. If Martin mentions something without explaining it, it’ll be explained later, or anyway alluded to so that you can put it together yourself. It’s overflowing with detail and you can trust that all of the detail belongs and is necessary and interesting. The world and the story are completely immersive, with no jolts to jerk you out of your suspension of disbelief.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 9, 2009)

This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hlinovsky, SatuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".
Publisher description for A Game of Thrones;

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553573403, Mass Market Paperback)

Readers of epic fantasy series are: (1) patient--they are left in suspense between each volume, (2) persistent--they reread or at least review the previous book(s) when a new installment comes out, (3) strong--these 700-page doorstoppers are heavy, and (4) mentally agile--they follow a host of characters through a myriad of subplots. In A Game of Thrones, the first book of a projected six, George R.R. Martin rewards readers with a vividly real world, well-drawn characters, complex but coherent plotting, and beautifully constructed prose, which Locus called "well above the norms of the genre."

Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances. Abroad, a dragon princess lives among horse nomads and dreams of fiery reconquest.

There is much bloodshed, cruelty, and death, but A Game of Thrones is nevertheless compelling; it garnered a Nebula nomination and won the 1996 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel. So, on to A Clash of Kings! --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:36 -0400)

A tale of court intrigues in the land of Seven Kingdoms, a country "blessed by golden summers that go on for years, and cursed by cruel winters that can last a generation." The cold is returning to Winterfell, where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime. A time of conflict has arisen in the Stark family, as they are pulled from the safety of their home into a whirlpool of tradedy, betrayal, assassination plots and counterplots. Each decision and action carries with it the potential for conflict as several prominent families, comprised of lords, ladies, soldiers, sorcerers, assassins and bastards, are pulled together in the most deadly game of all, the game of thrones.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible