HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

A Game of Thrones
Loading...

A Game of Thrones

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
26,09483842 (4.39)4 / 1303
Member:usamasyed
Title:A Game of Thrones
Authors:
Info:Spectra Books, Unknown Binding
Collections:Your library
Rating:****
Tags:None

Work details

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Recently added byvda, tralliott, private library, Sarah.Quiggle, liz.corbett, JennysBookBag.com, Kevanne, benandhil, KrisGPS, WHSFalcons
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
  1. 204
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
  2. 172
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
  3. 172
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
  4. 152
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
  5. 120
    A Clash Of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
  6. 100
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
  7. 101
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
  8. 125
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
  9. 60
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
  10. 40
    Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
  11. 40
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
  12. 40
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
  13. 40
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
  14. 41
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
  15. 52
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
  16. 31
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
  17. 20
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
  18. 53
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
  19. 20
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)
  20. 10
    Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden (asha.leu)

(see all 29 recommendations)

1990s (4)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (792)  Spanish (15)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (838)
Showing 1-5 of 792 (next | show all)
Now THAT was an ending. But if feels like I'm just at the beginning! Haven't watched a single show, and all I heard about "Game of Thrones" was that there was lots of violence and sex- I can't believe that is what everyone really has to say about this story. I feel like the author is weaving this big heavy tapestry when I read this book.

I work in a library and one of the kids at my school kept urging me to read this book- (Thanks, E.M.) he's read all of them- I will DEFINITELY pick up the next one. Because I feel like the story is just starting...never been big on series, but the last two months I've started this one and The Chaos Walking trilogy...

Will read them all, and want to wait until I'm done before I start the TV shows so I'm seeing my own people in my head!

Note for librarians: High School - adult, or very mature older middle schoolers whose parents let them read anything they want.
( )
1 vote celesteporche | Sep 23, 2016 |
Neither what I hoped for nor what I was afraid of. It was good. Its strengths are the story, sometimes the characters, and always the universe structure/detail. It does not depend on wordcraft at all, but the writing is never poor either. It's very straightforward without the poetic nature that plain-writing can attain. That said, the story is well-told and riveting. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
4.5
( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
ჯერ იყო შოუ, პირველი, მეორე, მესამე სეზონი და მერე​ დავიწყე წიგნი. ამასობაში მეოთხე სეზონიც წამომეწია​
ბევრი მიზეზია თუ რატომ მომწონს ჯორჯ მარტინის შექმნ​ილი სამყარო, მაგრამ ვერ ვიტყოდი რომ წიგნი შოუზე უკ​ეთესია. შეიძლება იმიტომ რომ ჯერ შოუ ვნახე და მერე ​წიგნი დავიწყე. საკუთარი წარმოსახვა ვერ განვავითარე​HBO-ს შერჩეული პერსონაჟები სულ თვალ წინ მედგა და ჩემე​ბურად ვერაფერი დავდგი წარმოსახვაში. მეგონა ისევ სე​რიებს ვიმეორებდი. შოუს გავლენა იმენად დიდი გამოდგა​, იმასაც ვფიქრობ ამ წიგნის მერე გავაგრძელო თუ არა ​ყინულის და ცეცხლის სიმღერის კითხვა. რა აზრი აქვს? ​შოუმ წიგნს უკვე წაართვა ის შთაბეჭდილება რაც მარტინ​ს ჩაფიქრებული ქონდა. ​
არ ვიცი შეიძლება A clash of kings მაინც გადავშალო. თუმცა კიდევ უფრო ინტერესით ველოდ​ები მეხუთე სეზონს შემდეგ წელს.​
( )
  Misha.Kaulashvili | Aug 22, 2016 |
I very much liked it. I admit do zoning out during much of the extra long descriptions of scenery but I loved the characters and the depth they were given.

The last 1/3 or so of the book was just fantastic. Once things start moving, they really go and I couldn't stop listening. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 792 (next | show all)
And yet, I couldn't stop reading. And it wasn't with the kind of self-loathing desperation for closure that took me to the end of The Da Vinci Code. I read A Game Of Thrones with genuine pleasure. It may be a cartoon, but it's one that is brilliantly drawn. Archaic absurdity aside, Martin's writing is excellent. His dialogue is snappy and frequently funny. His descriptive prose is immediate and atmospheric, especially when it comes to building a sense of deliciously dark foreboding relating to a long winter that is about to engulf his fictional land.
 
The best about this is the way you can trust it to all fit together and make sense. If Martin mentions something without explaining it, it’ll be explained later, or anyway alluded to so that you can put it together yourself. It’s overflowing with detail and you can trust that all of the detail belongs and is necessary and interesting. The world and the story are completely immersive, with no jolts to jerk you out of your suspension of disbelief.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 9, 2009)
 
This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)
 

» Add other authors (15 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Altieri, Alan D.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hallman, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hiltunen, PetriIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hlinovsky, SatuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Information from the Italian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
this one is for Melinda
First words
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
Quotations
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Book description
Publisher description for A Game of Thrones;

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Haiku summary
Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553573403, Mass Market Paperback)

Readers of epic fantasy series are: (1) patient--they are left in suspense between each volume, (2) persistent--they reread or at least review the previous book(s) when a new installment comes out, (3) strong--these 700-page doorstoppers are heavy, and (4) mentally agile--they follow a host of characters through a myriad of subplots. In A Game of Thrones, the first book of a projected six, George R.R. Martin rewards readers with a vividly real world, well-drawn characters, complex but coherent plotting, and beautifully constructed prose, which Locus called "well above the norms of the genre."

Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances. Abroad, a dragon princess lives among horse nomads and dreams of fiery reconquest.

There is much bloodshed, cruelty, and death, but A Game of Thrones is nevertheless compelling; it garnered a Nebula nomination and won the 1996 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel. So, on to A Clash of Kings! --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

(see all 10 descriptions)

A tale of court intrigues in the land of Seven Kingdoms, a country "blessed by golden summers that go on for years, and cursed by cruel winters that can last a generation." The cold is returning to Winterfell, where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime. A time of conflict has arisen in the Stark family, as they are pulled from the safety of their home into a whirlpool of tradedy, betrayal, assassination plots and counterplots. Each decision and action carries with it the potential for conflict as several prominent families, comprised of lords, ladies, soldiers, sorcerers, assassins and bastards, are pulled together in the most deadly game of all, the game of thrones.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 21 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.39)
0.5 10
1 88
1.5 14
2 162
2.5 30
3 657
3.5 233
4 2429
4.5 610
5 4610

Audible.com

4 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,264,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible