A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) (edition 2011)

by George R.R. Martin

26,40984541 (4.39)4 / 1317
Member:st1nn3tt
Title:A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:MLIS7300

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    A Clash Of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
    A Change Of Heart by Mark Benjamin (Anonymous user)

1990s (4)

English (800)  Spanish (15)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  All (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (846)
I’ve put off this series for some time, partially because the amount of time I’d have to invest in reading it and I was hoping to close off other series I’m reading before starting yet another. It’s been a good series so far, the first book was well done and I enjoyed it a lot.

Martin does a good job at creating a clear and different voice for each of his characters, with the focus moving from character to character, I’ve found it harder to differentiate in other novels that have done this, but it works well in this book (and so far the entire series.) While it is in third person, he still manages to create the right tone, thought process for each character, which helps pull you into the story (unless you don’t like the character, but nothing can really help with me with that).

I also enjoyed the detail surrounding his characters and their backstories, only a few things are revealed at a time, although because I’ve watched most of the show I do have some idea what’s coming, the author has done an amazing job at pacing his characters growth and secrets, they are well developed and naturally developing. I have my favourites, ones I hate because they are horrible people, and ones I hate because I find them annoying, but the cast of characters, no matter my feelings for them, is wonderfully done. I’m a Arya and Tyrion fan, they’re the two characters I enjoy the most. Not a big fan of John Snow and Daenerys, which I seem to be in the minority with, but John Snow seems to act very privileged and naive considering the circumstances he’s in, and my dislike for Daenerys has grown more now that I’m in the second book. Although, I do have to remind myself that these are children in the books, so their ways of thinking that of teenage children.

I’m enjoying the overall story and I’m interested in what will come out of it in the end. I wish there was more detail about the old gods versus the new, although that too is slowly being revealed over the course of the books, I want more now. The first book moved fairly quickly, the pacing was right and I felt everything connected together.

Overall, an enjoyable book and looks like it will be an enjoyable series. I’m, looking forward to seeing the differences between the show and book in the rest of the series (I’ve read all the spoilers and have seen most of the TV series, so I know what’s to come who die, who lives and all that, but I want to see how much has changed).

Also found on my book blog Jules' Book Reviews - A Game of Thrones ( )
  bookwormjules | Dec 10, 2016 |
unlikely to ever finish. ( )
  hippiecmt | Dec 4, 2016 |
A decent beginning to a long and drawn our series. It's okay as "fantasy" novels go, but it really doesn't live up to all the hype. Way too much gratuitous sex and obscenity. ( )
  LJayLeBlanc | Dec 3, 2016 |
A decent beginning to a long and drawn our series. It's okay as "fantasy" novels go, but it really doesn't live up to all the hype. Way too much gratuitous sex and obscenity. Dotrice does a standup job on the narration. Several times, when I wanted to put the book down, Dotrice kept me at it. ( )
  LJayLeBlanc | Dec 3, 2016 |
I'm a huge fan of the show, so I already knew what I was getting myself into with this book. I won't spoil what the differences are between the book and the show, but there do seem to be some major ones! I'll have to re-watch the show now to make sure I'm remembering things correctly. If so, I have a whole new opinion on Ned Stark! I would think that fans of the show would enjoy the book, but there is a lot of detail to wade through. So this probably wouldn't be for reluctant readers. SInce I listened to the audiobook, I have to compliment the reader for coming up with a huge variety of different voices for the books MANY characters. Audio-Overdrive. ( )
  aurorapaigem | Nov 23, 2016 |
And yet, I couldn't stop reading. And it wasn't with the kind of self-loathing desperation for closure that took me to the end of The Da Vinci Code. I read A Game Of Thrones with genuine pleasure. It may be a cartoon, but it's one that is brilliantly drawn. Archaic absurdity aside, Martin's writing is excellent. His dialogue is snappy and frequently funny. His descriptive prose is immediate and atmospheric, especially when it comes to building a sense of deliciously dark foreboding relating to a long winter that is about to engulf his fictional land.

The best about this is the way you can trust it to all fit together and make sense. If Martin mentions something without explaining it, it’ll be explained later, or anyway alluded to so that you can put it together yourself. It’s overflowing with detail and you can trust that all of the detail belongs and is necessary and interesting. The world and the story are completely immersive, with no jolts to jerk you out of your suspension of disbelief.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 9, 2009)

This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".
Publisher description for A Game of Thrones;

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553573403, Mass Market Paperback)

Readers of epic fantasy series are: (1) patient--they are left in suspense between each volume, (2) persistent--they reread or at least review the previous book(s) when a new installment comes out, (3) strong--these 700-page doorstoppers are heavy, and (4) mentally agile--they follow a host of characters through a myriad of subplots. In A Game of Thrones, the first book of a projected six, George R.R. Martin rewards readers with a vividly real world, well-drawn characters, complex but coherent plotting, and beautifully constructed prose, which Locus called "well above the norms of the genre."

Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances. Abroad, a dragon princess lives among horse nomads and dreams of fiery reconquest.

There is much bloodshed, cruelty, and death, but A Game of Thrones is nevertheless compelling; it garnered a Nebula nomination and won the 1996 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel. So, on to A Clash of Kings! --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

A tale of court intrigues in the land of Seven Kingdoms, a country "blessed by golden summers that go on for years, and cursed by cruel winters that can last a generation." The cold is returning to Winterfell, where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime. A time of conflict has arisen in the Stark family, as they are pulled from the safety of their home into a whirlpool of tradedy, betrayal, assassination plots and counterplots. Each decision and action carries with it the potential for conflict as several prominent families, comprised of lords, ladies, soldiers, sorcerers, assassins and bastards, are pulled together in the most deadly game of all, the game of thrones.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,816,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible