Grandville by Bryan Talbot

Info:Dark Horse (2011), Hardcover, 108 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*

Grandville: a fantasy by Bryan Talbot

Recently added bynix0310, DReicht, wjmcomposer, jaarnitaival, MrPatch, ccandc, private library, laura_88

I'm reading these out of order since I read the third collection for the Hugo ballot and this one is now the first one. Gave me lots of back history to the third volume but was a great story in itself. If you like steampunk, Sherlock Holmes riffs and/or anthropomorphic animals then this is a great story for you. The art is as good as the story and now I will need to track down the second volume and keep my eyes peeled for more set in this universe. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Detective Inspector LeBrock of Scotland Yard comes across an apparent suicide, which turns out to be the work of a ruthless murder squad. This is a steampunk mystery with a twist; the main characters are all anthropomorphized animals. The story is complex and the alternative history setting is interesting, but it would have been great if the story had been much longer so that I had time to get really invested in the world properly. I also had a little bit of a problem with the anthropomorphized animals, not because they're animals, but rather the opposite: they're too human. Basically, they look like regular humans with animal heads. I'm not completely enamored with the result, but absolutely intrigued enough that I'll be looking into the other installments in this series. ( )
  -Eva- | Jun 21, 2014 |
I knew I was going to enjoy Grandville before the first book came out. It wasn't "just" the dapper-dressed gun-toting badger on the cover, nor even because the art and writing are by British comics legend Bryan Talbot, but because I was already a fan of the artist whose work inspired the series and whose nom de plume provided its title.
From the Grandville of the nineteenth century's wonderfully bizarre images of animals acting like humans Talbot has woven a fizzingly imaginative alternate world, in which animals rule and humans (or "doughfaces" as we're known) are reduced to underclass status. Down the streets of a gorgeously rendered steampunk Paris stalks hard-bitten Detective Inspect LeBrock, battling evildoers of every stripe and species with the help of his faithful partner and friend Roderick Ratzi.
If you find the idea of animals punching each other, stabbing each other or blasting ten bells out of each other with large calibre guns off-putting or upsetting, maybe this series isn't for you. The Wind in the Willows this ain't: the Grandville books are dark, gritty and surprisingly violent. They're also wildly thrilling and enormous fun. In the latest volume, Bete Noire, LeBrock /not only/ has to stop an army of machine-gun-packing robots, he /also/ has to foil a dastardly capitalist conspiracy to suppress figurative art and replace it with abstract expressionism! For those who notice, these books are stuffed with witty references to other works, other ideas - but never at the expense of a cracking good story. I think these books are terrific. I hope you will too. ( )
  othersam | Jul 22, 2013 |
This is a book about conspiracy. The story and characters tend to run to the cliche. The originality lies in the artwork, visual imagination and the use of animals in the place of people. It is an enjoyable enough read for those who enjoy their badgers on the Tarantino side. ( )
  freelancer_frank | Jul 11, 2013 |
This is my first graphic novel and I guess the sequel will be my second!

I read this based on the many reviews and comments. At first I didn't really feel comfortable with it but I kept going and I must say I quite enjoyed it. This is an adult spy story - not for children ( )
  mysterymax | Dec 7, 2012 |
For Alwyn
Faster, damn it! Faster, boy! They're gaining on us!

"Two hundred years ago, Britain lost the Napoleonic War and fell under the thumb of French domination. Gaining independence after decades of civil disobedience and anarchist bombings, the Socialist Republic of Britain is now a small, unimportant backwater connected by a railway bridge, steam-powered dirigible, and mutual suspicion to France. When a British diplomat's murder is made to look like suicide, ferocious Detective-Inspector LeBrock of Scotland Yard stalks a ruthless murder squad through the heart of a Belle Epoque Paris, the center of the greatest empire in a world of steam-driven hansom cabs, automatons, and flying machines. LeBrock's relentless quest can lead only to death, truth . . . or war" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,918,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible