Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old…

Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family…

by Amanda Blake Soule

I have loved Amanda Blake Soule's personable and friendly style since I first discovered her blog Soule Mama. It was through her that I rekindled my interest in the everyday act of creation. In my younger days I was a writer and muscian more than anything, while now it is the act of knitting to which I most often turn.

So when I saw this book at my friend's home and she offered to lend it to me, I was quite excited. Unfortunately, while still written in the style I love, most of them handmade items for which she provides directions are either things I no longer need such as baby slings or I cannot envision them in my home. The rag rug is the single exception, as I would love to have one to keep in my kitchen at the sink. I have come to realize it is not so much what she creates that I love as much as how she talks about what she is making, and also about her home that draws me to her. In the future I think I will stick to the blog. Though the book didn't appeal to me I would not hesitate to recommend it to the right person, and I know many of just the sort of person to whom this book would have great appeal. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Ok, this library impulse grab should have been the perfect book for me. I have lots of experience in thrifting and repurposing, some experience in sewing and crafting, and a dresser full of fabrics and related salvage. Well. It's a pretty book, with some neat ideas - but no illustrations of intermediate steps! I could figure out most of the projects, but a true "beginner" wouldn't have a chance.

If you have small children, do get a copy of this book from the library and see what you can make of it, how much thrifty fun you can have. If you're an empty nester, comment to me so we can share ideas about what to do with our fabric scraps & salvaged buttons and ribbons since we don't need baby slings, tote bags, or beach blankets.

(*Iff* my couch blanket or bath mat wear out I will use Soule's inspiration to make, instead of buy, replacements.) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
",,,,,,0,,,,,
7150397,The Devil & Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Murder ( )
  swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
This book contains a lot of projects - so it is good or useful in that respect. I don't think any of them are 'wow I must make that' or 'I wish I thought of that'. Some of the projects are a little bit too homemade for my liking. And in the book I think they look homemade rather than handmade.

I think this book would be of more interest to a novice sewer - a person who is just getting in to sewing and doesn't have many ideas of their own - rather than a long-time sewer.

In my opinion, one to borrow from the public library and not buy. ( )
  karynwhite | May 11, 2011 |
More useful and interesting than her "Creative Family," but still short on new ideas for making things by hand with children. ( )
  stephaniechase | Feb 11, 2010 |

Thirty-three simple sewing and craft projects utilizing old materials, from vintage feedsacks to worn sheets and towels, and creating useful and love-filled objects for the family home offer the environmentally concerned a chance to reduce, reuse, and recycle.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,227,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible